*** October 18, 2021- October 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Dak on cam
OP Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 7,132
Re: Miss Spitfire 2021, my darling wife 😊

birdbrain wrote:

Duxford Battle of Britain Air-Show

I read up on a bit of history about the "Battle of Britain" and realised that even though my father recollects parts of WWII  (he was born in 1934) and my grandfather had been more involved, the battle history reads as abstract to me as WWI and earlier wars (of which Germany and its various kingdoms had many).

And the planes are, well, old planes to me.  I wonder whether that is a good thing or not.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
johncecilian Senior Member • Posts: 1,046
Final Halloween pics, Nighttime special...

Same house as before but this is what they do at night...crazy stuff really and beyond anything except perhaps Disney World or something. Put the RX100 Vi on a tripod, put ISO at 200, used the timer.  Happy with result pretty much.

Front porch

different angle

Three cabana figures

Two cabana figures

spooky ghost or something

johncecilian's gear list:johncecilian's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +1 more
Ontarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,177
Re: Final Halloween pics, Nighttime special...

You did a great job capturing the display at night.  Welldone!

Don

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
johncecilian Senior Member • Posts: 1,046

Thanks for the kind words. It is nice  to see a scene that I  try to capture well.

johncecilian's gear list:johncecilian's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR +1 more
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 48,787

johncecilian wrote:

Same house as before but this is what they do at night...crazy stuff really and beyond anything except perhaps Disney World or something. Put the RX100 Vi on a tripod, put ISO at 200, used the timer. Happy with result pretty much.

Pretty Darn Cool

Great photos

Front porch

different angle

Three cabana figures

Two cabana figures

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
Bill Borne
Re: Well here we go again

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Right out of the wash

Obsidian

Not as spectacular as the last batch but quite nice. What kind of rocks are the bluish grey ones on the third shot?

I think they are Obsidian (Volcanic Glass)

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
KBTinto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,685
Re: You might like these? Some of My Gemstones

Bill Borne wrote:

KBTinto wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Polished Rocks

Right out of the Final Wash

I really like the small dark red one, reminded me of the Burmese rubies I saw a few times when I was still in Burma.

My Gemstones

Sure do!  Especially the ones that let light through.

KB

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Bill Borne

KBTinto wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

KBTinto wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Polished Rocks

I really like the small dark red one, reminded me of the Burmese rubies I saw a few times when I was still in Burma.

My Gemstones

Sure do! Especially the ones that let light through.

KB

Heh, I agree

I used to make jewelry with them and give it away to girls I know! No more..getting too old!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Dak on cam

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Right out of the wash

Obsidian

Not as spectacular as the last batch but quite nice. What kind of rocks are the bluish grey ones on the third shot?

Thanks!  I have a distinct feeling I must have asked this before but, well, not getting younger.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 +1 more
Ontarian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,177

You or the girls ?  

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,210
Morning walk

It's barely above freezing this morning but my wife and I went out for an outside walk.  At the end of the walk we picked up a shawarma, deep fried potatoes, and a pop each.

Grant.

Dak on cam
Re: Couple pics

Ontarian wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Lonely GBH. Not another creature anywhere in sight.

"Great blue heron", I take it. Over here, we just have grey herons. The shoulder patch on this one looks even stranger at small scale than when looking at full size. A bull's eye does not seem like an evolutionary advantage...

Here's a closer shot from a while back. The shoulder patch may be advantageous. If prey focus on that pseudo eye they may not noticed that long neck streaking that way. Kind of ocelots with that bight round spot on the back of their ears to help them escape.

Great shot: it's not as pronounced here.  Your theory is something I haven't thought of.  Nature is really complex!

-- hide signature --

Dak

Bill Borne

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Right out of the wash

Obsidian

Thanks! I have a distinct feeling I must have asked this before but, well, not getting younger.

Heh, I know what you mean!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne

Ontarian wrote:

You or the girls ?

ME 

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne wrote:

KBTinto wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

KBTinto wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Polished Rocks

My Gemstones

Sure do! Especially the ones that let light through.

KB

Heh, I agree

I used to make jewelry with them and give it away to girls I know! No more..getting too old!

Should be a gift to appreciate! At least you created them with your very own hands and gave away to others to treasure.

Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Re: *** October 18, 2021- October 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Cropped to bring the welder "closer"  ... I took 2 or 3 images that framed him closeup from the open door on the sidewalk but the camera/lens did not focus.  I had taken 4 or 5 pics of the street before this and it was already giving me problems.  Couldn't get more since the welder noticed me and stopped what he was doing.  Too bad the out of focus and closer images had much more sparks.

Dak on cam

johncecilian wrote:

Same house as before but this is what they do at night...crazy stuff really and beyond anything except perhaps Disney World or something. Put the RX100 Vi on a tripod, put ISO at 200, used the timer. Happy with result pretty much.

Front porch

different angle

Three cabana figures

Two cabana figures

That's sort of a portfolio installation.  She probably poured more money into just the lighting than other people use for their whole Halloween "needs".

The shooting worked pretty well indeed.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam
Re: Morning walk

Pi lover wrote:

It's barely above freezing this morning but my wife and I went out for an outside walk. At the end of the walk we picked up a shawarma, deep fried potatoes, and a pop each.

Grant.

"Used devices" is quite the understatement for that display.  You'd think the CBM computer was old (though a model 8032 is quite more "modern" than the original PET 2001), but the phone switchboard certainly beats it.

The water situation near the Heron actually reminds me of where in younger years I turned around when doing my 16km rowing distance on the Ruhr river: similar weir drop and breadth as you show here but not nearly as scenic.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam

KBTinto wrote:

Cropped to bring the welder "closer" ... I took 2 or 3 images that framed him closeup from the open door on the sidewalk but the camera/lens did not focus. I had taken 4 or 5 pics of the street before this and it was already giving me problems. Couldn't get more since the welder noticed me and stopped what he was doing. Too bad the out of focus and closer images had much more sparks.

Yes, a pity: it's rather tricky to recognize things on this image.  Though probably it would not have been easy live, either.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Ontarian wrote:

Can't say those guys don't earn their pay. Very dedicated people!

Don

Agree ..

Here's a pic where smoke was getting into one of the fireman's eyes

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads