*** October 18, 2021- October 24, 2021 Weekly Show, Tell, and Critique***

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,136
Re: Update to Greg and Nancy's Excellent Adventure - Part One

v30 wrote:

Awesome. That really tall grass in the 7th pic....do the birds come flushing out of that or do they stay put knowing they're well hidden (unless the dog is right on top of them)?

Those are what I call tulles that grow in the black muck in prairie sloughs and along the edges of prairie ponds and lakes. You literally cannot get through the tulles without a machete. Even if you do, you can step into bottomless sucking muck/gumbo with a couple feet of icy water on top - that is very much life threatening. The more you struggle to free yourself, the deeper and quicker you sink into the glue-like muck. During Nancy's first time out here with me, I nearly lost her to that stuff.  I had to lay down on it to spread out my weight and gradually pull her out at arm's length - she was in water to her neck and in muck to her waist - all bitterly cold. No help within many miles. Frankly we were very lucky that both of us made it out - its not uncommon for the would-be rescuer to go down as well.  She learned about the bottomless muck/gumbo from that experience and doesn't do that anymore.

This pic was her trying to cross a slough just before disaster struck in 2019:

Phez love this nasty stuff and they can run freely through it. The dogs work the birds using only scent in that stuff, sometimes for hundreds of yards. If pushed too hard or if the dogs is within sight, the birds will just flush way out of shotgun range. Eventually, a really good and experienced dog will get the bird to stop and hold for a point, which is what had just happened in that pic - Bliss had a rooster finally held for a point after working it for a long time. Then, the hunter (being very careful not too go too far and get stuck in the bottomless black muck literally crashes into the tulles, making a big noise and the bird (if all goes well) will hear that flush inside of gun range. Nancy shot that bird over the water (just out of sight in the pic).  Bliss pushed through the tulles, went in the water, swam out and grabbed the bird and then, with much effort pushed her way back through the tulles with the bird to hand to Nancy. Pretty cool!

I couldn't get a pic of that, but here are pic from last year of a water retrieve out beyond the tulles:

Greg

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Birddogman
Birddogman Veteran Member • Posts: 8,136
Re: Update to Greg and Nancy's Excellent Adventure - Part Two

I'm honored that you take your time to read it all.

-- hide signature --
 Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +5 more
Ontarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Couple pics

The weather and autumn leaves haven't been cooperating lately, but went out anywaty.

Lonely GBH.  Not another creature anywhere in sight.

Some reds and oranges starting to come, but certainly slow this year.

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 47,264
You Guessed It

Polished Rocks

Right out of the Final Wash

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV +3 more
Bill Borne
Re: To get this started: musician's den and cool cat

Dak on cam wrote:

Do Some Cleaning, Dak

I actually had to redo both photographs because of the focus. Second time round I used F4 (instead of F2.8) and a flashlight for acquiring focus.

The kind of stuff you have to deal with when working with photographic dinos. Fortunately the flash is also a dino and thus has no problem getting enough light into the scenes at base ISO and F4 while bouncing off a white card.

Actually, I just notice I am wearing a white T-shirt so I could have bounced off that one for softer shadows. Next time!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV +3 more
Bill Borne
Re: Ferryland Lighthouse - take two

v30 wrote:

1st one is better IMO

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne
Re: Brook trout

v30 wrote:

Spotted this fellow today while on a small hike. He bolted under the bank originally but as I stood there still for a while he eventually figured out I was no threat to him and went about his business. Hope he finds his way to deeper water before it freezes up.

Cool They are beautiful fish!

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne

Birddogman wrote:

We have remained in far northeastern MT for the past couple weeks and we'll be here until we leave for home - maybe later this week, depending on weather. It's warm today, but temps are supposed to hit the low 20's later this week. The MH doesn't have the best insulation and it doesn't handle extreme cold very well - pipes can freeze, etc. Also we no longer have access to water as that has been shut off for the season here.

We had a few days of icy, blowing rain and snow last week, during which time we stayed home. Call me a wimp if you want, but I don't enjoy climbing through heavy brush to hunt in the rain. I actually enjoy hunting in snow, but we had no accumulation except at higher elevations.

Each day there is a parade of rooster pheasants through our camp in the morning, like this guy out there in the rain. There is no hunting allowed right here, so I think the birds like to hang out here. We do hear plenty of coyotes right outside at night. however. No doubt that they have pheasant on their menu.

The dogs "point" the phez from inside - very funny to watch:

Here, Bliss insisted on taking over my "office" chair to "point" the birds in the rain.

When the weather cleared, Joy was still on the IR; and it was too cold for Nancy to go out, so young Bliss and I were free to really pound in the miles in heavy cover. I decided to try hunt different kinds of cover to attempt a "Montana Trifecta" - namely taking at least one of all three local species of upland birds in one day - phez, sharptail and Huns. Bliss did just great - like a dog with many more years of experience - working jumpy, running birds for hundreds of yards without causing them to flush until she could get them to hold for a point that I could approach to within gun range. I was successful in getting a "Trifecta" - first time ever A couple of the superb points by Bliss on that day:

The next day was warmer and Nancy wanted to hunt. She especially loves pheasant hunting, so that's what we did. Joy wanted to go and was devastated when she couldn't. I wasn't ready to let Joy run yet because I wasn't sure she was fully healed, so we had Bliss as our only dog power after she had covered probably 30+ miles of very rugged country and cover the day before.

Both my ladies were on fire. Bliss hunted perfectly and very hard. She even did a couple icy water retrieves of big roosters!

Nancy busted through miles of heavy cover, tulles, mud, gumbo; she worked the dog like a pro; and shot like Annie Oakley with her little 20 gauge.

Long story short, Nancy limited out on wild Montana pheasants. This is varsity-level bird hunting, so that is quite an achievement for anyone, let alone a 67 year old widow/grandmother, who had never picked up a shotgun until about 3.5 years ago. My happy partner with her birds and even a small shed she found:

I was very proud of her. The Old Man had a very good day, too. This was a Nancy cell phone pic of me taking a big rooster that flushed off a Bliss point. OK, OK, it needs a little help with framing and composition, but she's learning photography; and shooting action with a cell phone isn't easy for anyone.

The results of a long hard day afield in wild country when everything (well, almost - see Part Two) goes right:

Greg

I'm curious how long it takes to dress all those birds?

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

v30 Contributing Member • Posts: 950

Wow that is some nasty stuff

Re: Couple pics

Nice pics. Those GBH's are pretty cool. They are a rarity on this side of the island but we do get the occasional (lost) one. I'll sneak a pic of one eventually.

Pi lover
Pi lover Senior Member • Posts: 2,128
Re: Couple pics

Ontarian wrote:

The weather and autumn leaves haven't been cooperating lately, but went out anywaty.

Some reds and oranges starting to come, but certainly slow this year.

In Ottawa area we have a lot of leaves changed.  I took a shot of the sumac leaves in the yard this evening. They tend to be orange or red but these have a little yellow creeping in.

Dak on cam
OP Dak on cam Senior Member • Posts: 6,629
Re: You Guessed It

Bill Borne wrote:

Polished Rocks

Quite a bit of variety, but I find the first set rather stunning.

-- hide signature --

Dak

Dak on cam's gear list:Dak on cam's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P52 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5
johncecilian Senior Member • Posts: 1,022

I like the photo of the two dogs looking out the window, it seems to show at least one dog’s personality as if they are posing for the photo.

johncecilian's gear list:johncecilian's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
johncecilian Senior Member • Posts: 1,022
Halloween in my town

People really go all out with decorations where I live, they start them in the beginning of October and of course they are there all month long, So during a walk I can capture stuff that looks particularly interesting.

Clowns are always scary to me

I dont know, maybe a New Orleans vibe

Maybe overkill in the amount of stuff here

Really big skeleton

johncecilian's gear list:johncecilian's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +1 more
Ontarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Re: Halloween in my town

johncecilian wrote:

People really go all out with decorations where I live,

They certainly do.  Great captures of spooky stuff.  Afraid to take night shots ?

I wouldn't dare!

Maybe overkill in the amount of stuff here

That's one way to keep weeds out of the garden.

Thanks for posting.

Don

Ontarian's gear list:Ontarian's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Bill Borne

Dak on cam wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Polished Rocks

Quite a bit of variety, but I find the first set rather stunning.

I agree Dak

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Whats the brownish material in the rocks in the first pic?

For cleaning/polishing rocks,  could you use something like a vibratory tumbler (with some type of media) like they use for cleaning rifle casings?

KBTinto Veteran Member • Posts: 3,127

Bill Borne wrote:

Polished Rocks

I really like the small dark red one, reminded me of the Burmese rubies I saw a few times when I was still in Burma.

KBTinto's gear list:KBTinto's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S6000 Sony RX100 II Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
Bill Borne

v30 wrote:

Whats the brownish material in the rocks in the first pic?

Probably agate

For cleaning/polishing rocks, could you use something like a vibratory tumbler (with some type of media) like they use for cleaning rifle casings?

Exactly rock tumblers

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne

KBTinto wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

Polished Rocks

I really like the small dark red one, reminded me of the Burmese rubies I saw a few times when I was still in Burma.

I also have rubies and lots of gemstones too 

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads