FZ1000ii Experiences

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Franno83
Franno83 Contributing Member • Posts: 659
FZ1000ii Experiences

Hello all.  I recently swapped my FZ82 for the FZ1000 ii and am really enjoying using the camera.  I would love to hear the experiences of others, what you like, don't like and see the pictures that you take.    Here are a few from me  recently.

Harlestone Firs

Hover fly

Canons Ashby house

-- hide signature --

Fran
Banbury, UK
Panasonic FZ1000 ii

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Neverlost99
Neverlost99 Contributing Member • Posts: 886
Re: FZ1000ii Experiences

I sold my Fz 1000 mark one and got a Nikon for frame because I just could not get the image quality I needed but I think you have a very good copy and I wonder if I had a bad copy of mine. I never could’ve had that resolution on that bug. Good shots

-- hide signature --

TJC

Neverlost99's gear list:Neverlost99's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX10 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR Nikon Z 40mm F2
Franno83
OP Franno83 Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Neverlost99 wrote:

I sold my Fz 1000 mark one and got a Nikon for frame because I just could not get the image quality I needed but I think you have a very good copy and I wonder if I had a bad copy of mine. I never could’ve had that resolution on that bug. Good shots

Thank you!  I waited a long time for it so quite glad it seems to be "in tune".

Fran
Banbury, UK
Panasonic FZ1000 ii

VT
VT Senior Member • Posts: 2,535

Franno83 wrote:

Hello all. I recently swapped my FZ82 for the FZ1000 ii and am really enjoying using the camera. I would love to hear the experiences of others, what you like, don't like and see the pictures that you take. Here are a few from me recently.

Hover fly

Lovely to see you posting again - hope all's well.

Glad you like your FZ1000ii - as you know I have an older FZ1000(mk1).

Great compositions, as I would expect.

However (not a criticism) I was a bit taken aback by the noise/mottling in the hover fly pic

crop of Franno83's pic

- this is what I would expect from the FZ80/82 with its tiny 1/2.3" sensor, not the 1" sensor of the FZ1000ii which is over 4x area/size. (hence the undesirability of pixel peeping)

Regardless - your pics are just so well composed - don't let any nerdy/technical issues prevent you from posting more, please

Franno83

VT wrote:

Franno83 wrote:

Hello all. I recently swapped my FZ82 for the FZ1000 ii and am really enjoying using the camera. I would love to hear the experiences of others, what you like, don't like and see the pictures that you take. Here are a few from me recently.

Hover fly

Lovely to see you posting again - hope all's well.

Glad you like your FZ1000ii - as you know I have an older FZ1000(mk1).

Great compositions, as I would expect.

However (not a criticism) I was a bit taken aback by the noise/mottling in the hover fly pic

crop of Franno83's pic

- this is what I would expect from the FZ80/82 with its tiny 1/2.3" sensor, not the 1" sensor of the FZ1000ii which is over 4x area/size. (hence the undesirability of pixel peeping)

Regardless - your pics are just so well composed - don't let any nerdy/technical issues prevent you from posting more, please

Hi VT, great to hear from you. All fine with me thank you. Had a grotty summer unfortunately, as I lost my lovely old Dad, but he was nearly 91 so he had an excellent run really.

Well, I expect it is operator error as usual!  I'm not a pixel peeper so had no idea it was noisy.  I'm wondering if I took this with the Raynox.  Can't remember to be honest.

-- hide signature --

Fran
Banbury, UK
Panasonic FZ1000 ii

VT

Franno83 wrote:

VT wrote:

crop of Franno83's pic

Hi VT, great to hear from you. All fine with me thank you. Had a grotty summer unfortunately, as I lost my lovely old Dad, but he was nearly 91 so he had an excellent run really.

Well, I expect it is operator error as usual! I'm not a pixel peeper so had no idea it was noisy. I'm wondering if I took this with the Raynox. Can't remember to be honest.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Neah! if you're happy with your results, then all other bets are off - also I think you are too modest - I seriously doubt it was "operator error".  Just because I spotted noise/mottling in the photo, cannot possibly invalidate it from being a good photo...

This is the whole point - pixel peeping is useful, for some technical aspects - but not really for judging a photo....

Best, and keep posting your goodies - always a pleasure to see them.

Harry Zee
Harry Zee Contributing Member • Posts: 519

You have picked a great camera! Here is one taken yesterday and totally unedited from my M2.

Finding it has a somewhat steeper learning curve that my original 1000, but well worth the time and energy. Wishing you the very best with it!

-- hide signature --

Harry Zee

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,437

VT wrote:

Franno83 wrote:

VT wrote:

crop of Franno83's pic

Well, I expect it is operator error as usual! I'm not a pixel peeper so had no idea it was noisy. I'm wondering if I took this with the Raynox. Can't remember to be honest.

Sorry to hear about your Dad.

Neah! if you're happy with your results, then all other bets are off - also I think you are too modest - I seriously doubt it was "operator error". Just because I spotted noise/mottling in the photo, cannot possibly invalidate it from being a good photo...

This is the whole point - pixel peeping is useful, for some technical aspects - but not really for judging a photo....

PIE lists focal length in 35mm format as 800mm, so if this is a crop, it's a crop of a digitally-upsampled sensor, which would at least partially explain the artifacts.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
Franno83

Harry Zee wrote:

You have picked a great camera! Here is one taken yesterday and totally unedited from my M2.

Finding it has a somewhat steeper learning curve that my original 1000, but well worth the time and energy. Wishing you the very best with it!

Thanks Harry. Beautiful colours there.  I think our Autumn is going to be a bit of a muddy brown this year!!

-- hide signature --

Fran
Banbury, UK
Panasonic FZ1000 ii

VT

sherman_levine wrote:

VT wrote:

Franno83 wrote:

VT wrote:

crop of Franno83's pic

Neah! if you're happy with your results, then all other bets are off - also I think you are too modest - I seriously doubt it was "operator error". Just because I spotted noise/mottling in the photo, cannot possibly invalidate it from being a good photo...

PIE lists focal length in 35mm format as 800mm, so if this is a crop, it's a crop of a digitally-upsampled sensor, which would at least partially explain the artifacts.

Thank you Sherm - that's exactly right - I had forgot about i.Zoom and digital zoom capabilities

Using ExifToolGUI I can confirm:

Focal Length : 146.0 mm (35 mm equivalent: 800.0 mm)

which means some kind of "digital" zoom had to been used, as the max optical focal length on the FZ1000/2 is 400mm equiv.

Thanks

Jon_T
Jon_T Veteran Member • Posts: 5,641
FYI: View Image EXIF with Browser

sherman_levine wrote:

<SNIP>

PIE lists focal length in 35mm format as 800mm,..

With Firefox and Google Chrome there are add-ons that allow you to quickly view a image's EXIF from browser.

Firefox with the xIFr add-on

With:
Firefox I use xIFr, and Exif Viewer more detailed EXIF Data
Google Chrome I use Image metadata viewer

Jon

Jon_T's gear list:Jon_T's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more
Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,602

The FZ1000 and FZ1000M2 have a unique image capture feature that can't be found in any other of the Panasonic cameras. I now have my camera permanently set to it. To use it effectively you have to be into photo editing on a PC though. To access it, switch off iZoom. Go to the pixel rate setting and change it from 20MP to 5MP. Then set the picture taking format to RAW + JPG. That's it. Now when you operate the zoom you will notice that it now goes up to 800m instead of 400m. When you take pictures you will get a RAW and JPG file. If the zoom range extend beyond 400mm the RAW file will max out at 400mm but the JPG will be zoomed in further. Now when it comes to editing crop the RAW file. Only really use the JPG file if it looks good enough. The cropped RAW file will show far more detail than the JPG equivalent, especially in contrasty situation where you want to bring out shadow details. I just wish that Panasonic had built this identical feature in their m43 cameras.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
Jon_T

Sranang Boi wrote:

... The FZ1000 and FZ1000M2 have a unique image capture feature that can't be found in any other of the Panasonic cameras. ....

Not entirely true. Other camera's have similar forms of intelligent zoom; below a screen-shot excerpt from the article "Optical vs. Digital Zoom" (HERE):

I've used occasionally the Canon's "Smart Zoom" for years with various Canon compacts.

... I now have my camera permanently set to it. To use it effectively you have to be into photo editing on a PC though. To access it, switch off iZoom. Go to the pixel rate setting and change it from 20MP to 5MP.

Yes been many topics in this forum discussing the "Extended optical zoom" (aka, EOZ):

Page 54 of the PDF Advanced features manual

... Then set the picture taking format to RAW + JPG. That's it. Now when you operate the zoom you will notice that it now goes up to 800m instead of 400m...

The 800mm EFV is solely due to the 10MP central "crop" smaller FOV. At all 'optical' focal lengths less than 400mm EFL (136mm optical) there "is" digital manipulation occurring hence why with not available in RAW. 'Without' any digital manipulation (i.e., just a 10MP central crop) the EFL would always be a 2X '50-800mm'.

Awhile ago on this forum there was a lengthy topic discussing the above.

When you take pictures you will get a RAW and JPG file. If the zoom range extend beyond 400mm the RAW file will max out at 400mm but the JPG will be zoomed in further. Now when it comes to editing crop the RAW file. Only really use the JPG file if it looks good enough. The cropped RAW file will show far more detail than the JPG equivalent, especially in contrasty situation where you want to bring out shadow details. ...

Hence one can get same results, probably better, if they PP and crop the RAW image.

Cheers,
Jon

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15 Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon PowerShot S110 Leica C +16 more
Sranang Boi Senior Member • Posts: 2,602

Similar, yes. But not quite the same. The secret is in the RAW image produced by the FZ1000. It is taken at the full 20MP rate even though the camera is set to say 5MP. You don't get the RAW at maximum sensor resolution on other cameras once you reduce the sensor count. Some of them won't even allow you to select raw.

Sranang Boi's gear list:Sranang Boi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic G90 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH +1 more
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,437

Jon_T wrote:

Sranang Boi wrote:

... The FZ1000 and FZ1000M2 have a unique image capture feature that can't be found in any other of the Panasonic cameras. ....

Not entirely true. Other camera's have similar forms of intelligent zoom; below a screen-shot excerpt from the article "Optical vs. Digital Zoom" (HERE):

I've used occasionally the Canon's "Smart Zoom" for years with various Canon compacts.

... I now have my camera permanently set to it. To use it effectively you have to be into photo editing on a PC though. To access it, switch off iZoom. Go to the pixel rate setting and change it from 20MP to 5MP.

Yes been many topics in this forum discussing the "Extended optical zoom" (aka, EOZ):

... Then set the picture taking format to RAW + JPG. That's it. Now when you operate the zoom you will notice that it now goes up to 800m instead of 400m...

The 800mm EFV is solely due to the 10MP central "crop" smaller FOV. At all 'optical' focal lengths less than 400mm EFL (136mm optical) there "is" digital manipulation occurring hence why with not available in RAW. 'Without' any digital manipulation (i.e., just a 10MP central crop) the EFL would always be a 2X '50-800mm'.

When you take pictures you will get a RAW and JPG file. If the zoom range extend beyond 400mm the RAW file will max out at 400mm but the JPG will be zoomed in further. Now when it comes to editing crop the RAW file. Only really use the JPG file if it looks good enough. The cropped RAW file will show far more detail than the JPG equivalent, especially in contrasty situation where you want to bring out shadow details. ...

Hence one can get same results, probably better, if they PP and crop the RAW image.

Cheers,
Jon

I think he's saying that the simultaneous creation of a full-sensor raw and a cropped-sensor JPG is an unusual feature.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
Franno83

sherman_levine wrote:

Jon_T wrote:

Sranang Boi wrote:

Cheers,
Jon

I think he's saying that the simultaneous creation of a full-sensor raw and a cropped-sensor JPG is an unusual feature.

I'm bowled over by the in depth knowledge of you guys! I will need a strong cup of tea and a packet of chocolate biscuits to help me dissect this.  Always fascinating to receive your input. Thanks a million. 👍
Fran
Banbury, UK
Panasonic FZ1000 ii

Jon_T

Sranang Boi wrote:

Similar, yes. But not quite the same. The secret is in the RAW image produced by the FZ1000. It is taken at the full 20MP rate even though the camera is set to say 5MP. You don't get the RAW at maximum sensor resolution on other cameras once you reduce the sensor count. ...

Not any "secret", just a feature.

I mainly shoot RAW; for myself shooting RAW overall faster than constantly tweaking JPG settings for current lighting conditions, As for myself does not take me any longer to PP a RAW image than doing the same PP adjustments to a JPG image.

EDIT:

The FZ1000 and FZ1000M2 have a unique image capture feature that can't be found in any other of the Panasonic cameras. ...

I just did a quick test shot with my ZS100 set to 10EX, and JPG+RAW.

It also does the longer EFL 10MP crop with the JPG image, and the Full 20MP RAW image.

Jon

jlina
jlina Senior Member • Posts: 2,075

Hi Fran! I have been checking every so often for just this post. I am so glad to see that you like the camera. I really like the lighting on the trees/woods photo.... And I think you must have had some kind of converter on the camera because there is no way I can get that kind of focus on a fly. I weirdly think that the 1000 M 2 seems to take worst macro pictures than the 300?! But overall it's so intuitive and so easy to work it still just makes me happy to pick it up.

My most sincere condolences on the passing of your father, it is very hard on the ones left behind!

I also agree that I think you got a really good copy of the camera which you totally deserved. I haven't been able to photograph much lately and I do love the camera but I was at the park watching a girl take Halloween photos yesterday and she had a Canon rebel t5 and I swear it looked like she was getting sharper pictures than I do! Plus she's got it used on eBay for $150... Of course she was using basically no zoom.

So I'm looking forward to getting to take more photos soon and I'm still considering a camera that you have to change the lenses on LOL! I think I will have to experience this at one point to ever feel happy with my choice especially if I can do it that cheaply.

Where I think the 1000 Mark II is a little off base is for example on your statue with the sun straight on it kind of blurs the edges of the front of the statue. I have noticed that too; it is much much better than the 300 in contrast, but the edges of the pictures sometimes seem to fade out if they are more than halfway zoomed out - especially in bright sunshine. I really have to watch myself in bright sunshine.

Let me know what you think and mostly just so happy to hear that you are happy and doing well. Best wishes!

Jacqueline

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

Ok, that's intriguing. So the camera is taking a full 20 megapixel raw photo while it is doing its thing extending the zoom and cropping the jpeg to 5 MP? I have to try that thanks for mentioning it!

-- hide signature --

jlina

jlina

PS. I just (clumsily) mentioned contrasty situations to Fran in my post, it does the camera no favors. The larger sensor is definitely better able to do photos than the small sensor 300 but it does struggle in bright sunshine!

-- hide signature --

jlina

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads