A6400 and A6600 for pro work

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Pennskull Regular Member • Posts: 138
A6400 and A6600 for pro work

Since they have such good af and iq is very good, would you consider those cameras for pro work?

For the money that you can get theesw cameras theese days with the sigma trio is tempting. FF is just too expensive both for the bodies (need at least two) and the glass as well.

Lets just say that the photographer in question uses many small memory cards and backup often with external devices during workdays, so 1 cardslot isn't the issue here.

Whats your five cents?

Canon PowerShot A640
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
idsurfer Contributing Member • Posts: 605
Re: A6400 and A6600 for pro work

Define pro work

idsurfer's gear list:idsurfer's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 2,898

Pennskull wrote:

Since they have such good af and iq is very good, would you consider those cameras for pro work?

For the money that you can get theesw cameras theese days with the sigma trio is tempting. FF is just too expensive both for the bodies (need at least two) and the glass as well.

Lets just say that the photographer in question uses many small memory cards and backup often with external devices during workdays, so 1 cardslot isn't the issue here.

Whats your five cents?

As already suggested, what kind of PRO work you have in mind?

As there are certainly a lot of proffesionals working with m4/3 of APSC format, I see as main profi format FF.

Your question seems a little bit odd to me, photographer didn't become a professional by purchasing two cameras and some lenses, right? He starting as enthusiast, buy his first camera, experimenting, shooting for his enjoyment and learning in the process. Than maybe his friends like photos, probably start to ask for some first cheap contracts etc. Two of my friends started this way and continue with their first old used FF camera and lenses purchased as cheap as possible.

Also for example when I ordered photographer for my wedding, I would be unpleasantly suprised by apsc camera on ceremeony, honestly.

Just my 2 cents...

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN +3 more
adk38 Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

Pennskull wrote:

Whats your five cents?

I have a6600 and feel it's an improvement over the Nikon D500 which is considered a pro camera. I mostly use a6600 for wildlife and birds especially. Later got an a9 and it's a further improvement. a9 will need large and fast cards. a6600 more tolerant but small buffer. IQ wise both are very good and af sufficient for most tasks

adk38's gear list:adk38's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sony a9 +11 more
Morph1909
Morph1909 Regular Member • Posts: 219

For pro work I would suggest its more about the photographer than the camera. Most modern cameras paired with a decent lens will give very respectful output. I suspect most clients are not really that fussed what camera you use as long as you are meeting the brief.

Morph1909's gear list:Morph1909's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a6600 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +4 more
OP Pennskull Regular Member • Posts: 138

Well I have some old Nikons that are in bad need of upgrade and I do pro work like weddings and family shoots as well as events so I need two bodies. I never had a camera with two memory card slots so I have always used small cards and backed them up on the spot and never filled them up all the way and handled everything with care and so on.

DutchMM Senior Member • Posts: 2,081

My feeling is that - leaving aside the weddings of any people who are snobbish about FF vs Crop - you will have no trouble with the crop bodies and lenses.   I get pin-sharp prints with a size of 60cm x 40cm, sometimes cropped, from a crop body (a6600 and before that A77ii).  And tell me who has their wedding albums printed bigger than that.  That print size is 24 inches by 16, btw, if you don't live in a metric country.

I've never owned an a6400, so I won't talk to its low-light performance, but the a6600 does manage low-light very well, so you won't need to worry about that, providing you have decent noise reduction (I use DxO's "Deep Prime" for dark situations, and it is marvellously effective).

So that's my €0.0431 (at today's rate of $1.16/Euro).

DutchMM's gear list:DutchMM's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +3 more
idsurfer Contributing Member • Posts: 605

From an IQ standpoint I think the newer Sony APS-c cams paired with the best glass should be fine. From an AF standpoint I also think you should be fine...though it's my understanding that the A1 simply reigns king these days. I suppose the biggest concern I'd have is shooting lower light at indoor churches or events...unless you use flash.

idsurfer's gear list:idsurfer's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
OP Pennskull Regular Member • Posts: 138

I was planning on getting the sigma trio 16 1.4 30 1.4 and 56 1.4 which I have heard are among the best primes for Sony aps-c.

Plus the animal eye af are alluring since I shoot alot of cats for my personal projects as well.

BDevils Regular Member • Posts: 195

Pennskull wrote:

Whats your five cents?

I use the a6400 as my b cam simply because of that one card slot. It’s great for stuff that isn’t super important. I don’t swap cards out either because my main camera has 2 cards slots. I just keep a 64gb card in the a6400 with either the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 or Sigma 56mm f/1.4. If I really need to, I’ll throw on the Tamron 17-70 f/2.8 but I find 1600 iso is really pushing the images from this old sensor so if it’s low light, it’s the Sigma primes.

WhoKnow Regular Member • Posts: 190

If you really need two camera body, I'd suggest a 6600+6400 combo, because of ibis and much better battery in 6600. All of this could be usefull in your type of usage.

-- hide signature --

English is not my native language, so please be kind to my mistakes.

WhoKnow's gear list:WhoKnow's gear list
Fujifilm XQ2 Sony a6100 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads