SC-P600 new problem - suddenly ABW prints come out blue/green

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Beholdclarity New Member • Posts: 16
SC-P600 new problem - suddenly ABW prints come out blue/green

Hello Foromites,

I have had some issues in the past with my SC-P600 but now something new has come up.
After fixing a clogged PK nozzle with head cleaning cycles everything seemed to work just fine.

But suddenly, like from one day to the next, my ABW prints come out with a blue cast in the mids-tones.

I print in ABW mode from my Mac (no Updates recently), with OEM cartridges. No change wether the file has RGB or Generic Grey Gamma color profile. I leave color management to be managed by printer and have Epson Color Controls in the driver enabled and the Colors set to Advanced B&W. The same way I always did.

I printed a file I had previously printed, using exact same settings and paper (even same batch) the difference is like night and day.

Top: My old print (slightly bigger dimensions, all else equal). Maybe erring on magenta, but otherwise OK. Below my current results.
I am getting these results on all my papers, on all programs (Affinity, C1, Epson Print Layout). I always used the same Paper Profile (Premium Semigloss).

Multiple nozzle checks came back pristine. I replaced my vivid magenta, just to be sure. No change. Any ideas what I could do other than "live with it" and compensate in ABW color adjustment wheel?

Thanks,

Benjamin

OP Beholdclarity New Member • Posts: 16
Re: SC-P600 new problem - suddenly ABW prints come out blue/green

I have so far done the following:

• printed a reference BW image from the web
  • printed using ICC profile
  • printed from different machine with windows as opposed to mac
  • de-installed and re-installed Printer driver
  • shaken all cartridges lightly
  • performed cleaning cycle
  • repeated nozzle test

all remains the same. Blue cast in my prints unless I compensate by printing warm in AWB.

I was printing once or twice a week for the last few months.

The only change I did recently was a new yellow and cyan cartridge. I have printed one or two a3 prints since without issue and then bam. Could this somehow cause the issue even though all nozzle checks come out perfect?

Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 3,181

This is amazingly daft ! All I can think of is that some printers use colour inks during B&W printing to " correct" the black inks. We all know if you look at a lot of blacks they are either blue or brown black . So , if the two carts, which strangely are the colours you would use to correct warm and cool, were lacking in ink density standardisation or some other variable, then this is possible

What do the colour prints look like from something like

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html

-- hide signature --

Gear ... what I need to get the job done , after all you don't see mechanics listing their brand of spanner as a qualification .

Ken60 wrote:

This is amazingly daft ! All I can think of is that some printers use colour inks during B&W printing to " correct" the black inks. We all know if you look at a lot of blacks they are either blue or brown black . So , if the two carts, which strangely are the colours you would use to correct warm and cool, were lacking in ink density standardisation or some other variable, then this is possible

What do the colour prints look like from something like

http://www.outbackphoto.com/printinginsights/pi048/essay.html

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't print a color often, so I don't have a "before" print at hand. I printed the Outback file and the baby skin-tones definitely seem a little bluish. My wife also noticed blue in the strawberries.

The individual colours look fine, without banding. But I have no calibrated monitor to compare it with.

I printed it without ICC, just letting printer manage color. The B&W part also is blue again in the middle 2/3 of the image.

ken5678 Regular Member • Posts: 213
Re: SC-P600 new problem - suddenly ABW prints rcome out blue/green

i had a similar issue about two years ago.      I think I posted about it in this forum

—. If you are getting a color cast, look for the issue being caused by the ink cartridge on the opposite side of the color wheel.

—- I neeeded to really shake the offending cartridge and that fixed it.     It was not a violent shake, but a back forth zig zag circular motion for a minute or two.

I hope one or both of these can offer some help

Good luck,

Re: SC-P600 new problem - suddenly ABW prints rcome out blue/green

ken5678 wrote:

i had a similar issue about two years ago. I think I posted about it in this forum

—. If you are getting a color cast, look for the issue being caused by the ink cartridge on the opposite side of the color wheel.

—- I neeeded to really shake the offending cartridge and that fixed it. It was not a violent shake, but a back forth zig zag circular motion for a minute or two.

I hope one or both of these can offer some help

Good luck,

I'll try that again. Did you notice an immediate effect? I mean, after shaking the cartridge there still will be quite a bit of "unshaken" ink in the system, right?

I tried to figure out, at least, the extend of the problem.
Therefore I scanned a few of my recent prints and plotted the CMY values. My scanner is of course a standard office grade one, but I thought it should at least give me an indication.
I used the color picker in Affinity and just grabbed a bunch of points on a grey-scale.

I understand a 50% neutral grey has 51/44/44 (CMY). So, I compensated for the higher C-value which is expected for a neutral grey.

Yellow and Magenta were consitently lower than expected which results in RGB values favouring blue. I am off by 8 Magenta and 12 Yellow, on average. Punching those numbers in the ABW fine adjustment gave me halfway decent results.

But why the hell did this happen suddenly?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads