What is this gadget in my 'new' phone?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,743
What is this gadget in my 'new' phone?

I finally had to make the move to a better phone to replace the one I've been using for ten years. The 'new' (used) one is a Galaxy S10e (2019).

One thing that has me baffled is this little sensor at the far right of the camera group:

Here's a closer view showing better detail of what's inside:

It's in the correct position be to be a heart rate sensor, but the S10e doesn't support heart rate monitoring. I suppose it could be such a sensor although support for it was omitted in the S10e design.

The same question has been asked by others elsewhere, and some people say it's a 'light sensor' ... but I've tested various operations with it exposed to the ambient light and completely blocked, and I can't see that it makes any difference.

Does anyone know what it is?

OrigamiCactus Regular Member • Posts: 445
Re: What is this gadget in my 'new' phone?

It really just is an ambient light sensor

Search for: " Front and Back Dual Ambient Light Sensors for Improved Automatic Brightness Settings" in the article.

https://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S10_ShootOut_1S.htm

OrigamiCactus's gear list:OrigamiCactus's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
OP sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 21,743

OrigamiCactus wrote:

Search for: " Front and Back Dual Ambient Light Sensors for Improved Automatic Brightness Settings" in the article.

In that case, what should I do to observe its function? I thought I tested for that. (Note also that the page doesn't acknowledge the existence of my S10e - a different phone.)

OrigamiCactus Regular Member • Posts: 445

sybersitizen wrote:

OrigamiCactus wrote:

In that case, what should I do to observe its function? I thought I tested for that.

On my sony i can go into service menu, where i can check the readout from each sensor, including the RGBC-ir sensor, laser autofocus distance readout etc, so just try to find out if you can go into the service menu on your samsung.

I don't think in normal operation you could test it in any meaningful way, because if their algoritms are good enough, they will consider the possibility that in normal use your finger could cover that sensor, and in that case only use the front ambient light sensor.

OrigamiCactus's gear list:OrigamiCactus's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
Lensmate
Lensmate Veteran Member • Posts: 6,761

sybersitizen wrote:

Does anyone know what it is?

Off-hand suggestion here, but possibly try using 'google lens' on it with another phone that has the app.

Google Lens - Search What You See

-M

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,519

You are correct, that is a heart rate monitor.

Extract from the pdf manual of your model:

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more

alcelc wrote:

You are correct, that is a heart rate monitor.

Extract from the pdf manual of your model:

Sorry, but that is certainly not my model. Look at the photo I posted of the camera group.

The drawing appears to be either the S10 or S10+, not my S10e.

J A C S
J A C S Forum Pro • Posts: 19,836
alcelc

This is from Samsung's web site for S10e, which has official product no. G9700 in my region... ( indeed it should be the same as 9730 and 9750).

https://www.samsung.com/hk/support/model/SM-G9700ZKDTGY/

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
gloaming Veteran Member • Posts: 4,462

I believe all phones are capable of reading (not monitoring, as in constantly or periodically taking a measurement of your current heart rate) one's heart rate.  It needs an app, such as Health or another, that has the function built in.  When you open that app, and scroll down to where it says 'Heart', you can place your fingertip over the appropriate window and you'll get the measurement.

You can also use your fingertip to open the phone when the screen has been locked, or you can use your retina via a screen mounted scanner for that purpose.  But, you must find those functions and activate them.  The finger scanner will need about seven or eight readings with you altering your fingertip's position over the reader window slightly each time during the initial setup.

NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,602

There are apps that IIRC use your camera to read your heart rate. Even without a dedicated HR sensor.  The things are actually reasonably accurate.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
alcelc

It is your choice.

BTW, the same model in different region might support different feature. E.g. my ASUS Max Pro originally supports NFC in my region, but I bought mine from gray market and such imported version has the NFC disabled...

This might happen to your S10e 🤔, while it is clearly stated as heart rate monitor in the manual of your model in my region, in your region this feature might not be available due to whatsoever reason, so in the manual it just skip that sensor?

-- hide signature --

Albert

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads