RAAF Roulettes free practice air display

Started 3 months ago | Photos
Denjw
Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,803
RAAF Roulettes free practice air display

I had just arrived at nearby town of Lakes Entrance for an appointment and some shopping.

Lakes Entrance is a fishing port at the ocean entrance to the Gippsland Lakes, the largest network of inland waterways in Australia. See more details here .

By chance just as I arrived the Roulettes, which are the Royal Australian Air Force's aerobatic display team, began a display (practice) along the foreshore of the town.

See more details of the Roulettes here .

I jumped out of my car, grabbed my camera and switched to my BIFs setting and fired away. Overcast conditions were not ideal and the lingering smoke trails did not help.

This was my first time shooting such a display so I made some rookie errors. Initially I had Subject Detection AF for Birds engaged before I remembered Airplanes. I thought I changed the setting to Airplanes but when I got home to review files they all show Birds was engaged! Duh!

Also I should have been using a much slower shutter speed as these Pilatus PC-21 aircraft are propeller driven so they I have frozen propellers with some showing evidence of rolling shutter distortion because of electronic shutter.

Images are nothing special but it was a learning experience and next time such an opportunity arises I will be better prepared.

Cheers

Dennis

-- hide signature --
 Denjw's gear list:Denjw's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
Denjw
OP Denjw Veteran Member • Posts: 6,803
Another image I forgot to post.

-- hide signature --
Garry Schaefer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,291
Re: RAAF Roulettes free practice air display

An interesting set. As I scrolled through, #3 and #5 stood out for their compositions. Yes, a shutter speed slow enough to blur the propellers would have been a plus.

-- hide signature --

Garry

Garry Schaefer's gear list:Garry Schaefer's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +8 more
Austinian
Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 11,945

Denjw wrote:

Also I should have been using a much slower shutter speed as these Pilatus PC-21 aircraft are propeller driven so they I have frozen propellers with some showing evidence of rolling shutter distortion because of electronic shutter.

Frozen props, etc. or not, I really liked these shots. I also admire the design of the planes themselves--as predatory-looking as most WW2 fighters. Thanks!

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +3 more
jeffharris
jeffharris Forum Pro • Posts: 10,892

Austinian wrote:

Denjw wrote:

Frozen props, etc. or not, I really liked these shots. I also admire the design of the planes themselves--as predatory-looking as most WW2 fighters. Thanks!

Nice shots, indeed!

Those planes are nowhere near as sexy a a Supermarine Spitfire!

jeffharris's gear list:jeffharris's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Voigtlander Nokton 25mm F0.95 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Voigtlander Nokton 42.5mm F0.95 +34 more
Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 20,302

"F:8 and be there." The man had his camera in the trunk and got shots nobody else did, because phones.

Tip o' the hat Dennis, for taking advantage of the ad hoc airshow. What fun! Reminds me a little of bird shots I've taken while shooting the kid's soccer matches. They're literally most of my birding shots, since I don't do those with intent.

Cheers,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Austinian

jeffharris wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Denjw wrote:

Nice shots, indeed!

Those planes are nowhere near as sexy a a Supermarine Spitfire!

Especially for you!

Spitfire FR XIVe

Though IMO for predatory looks the Mossie is hard to beat. None in this museum, alas.

Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony FE 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD +3 more
mring1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,572
A Mk IX and its purring Merlin...

Sweetest sound around...

To the OP: thanks for your intro to the RAAF's team. Not likely they'll make the hop across the Pacific to the US.

mring1's gear list:mring1's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +7 more
Daviddmf Forum Member • Posts: 98

These are great images, congrats on being there at the right time, any complaints about the EM1X? I've thought about taking the plunge.

Daviddmf's gear list:Daviddmf's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-30 +16 more
jcr1 Regular Member • Posts: 170

i had an experience with the RAAF, quite a few years ago. It was back in the day when the RNZAF had Sky Hawks. I was getting my cows in one afternoon for milking; just ambling along on my ATV and the cows were quite happy with things and they were ambling to the milking shed at their own quiet pace. All was peaceful, when all of a sudden a couple of those Aussie jets with the double tails screamed over the hill, this was followed by a few Sky Hawks doing rolls and things. I reckon I just about had a heart attack! The cows were in the yard in a minute - they just took off! I found out, subsequently there were joint exercises on between NZ  and Australia and at the back of Stratford we were on the flight path from the Air Force Base at Ohakea. We never get to see fighter jets these days unless it's rarely a vampire jet owned by an enthusiast.

jcr1's gear list:jcr1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 III Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-200mm F3.5-6.3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +3 more
Denjw

Daviddmf wrote:

These are great images, congrats on being there at the right time, any complaints about the EM1X? I've thought about taking the plunge.

Thanks. No real complaints, just a couple of minor quibbles with the EM1X, positioning of the Menu button and no built in recessed lug to attach a hand grip.

But its overall ergonomics makes it a beautiful handling camera and coming from an EM1.2 with battery grip there is no discernible difference in weight/size. At the lower pricing now available makes it a much more realistic value for money camera.

-- hide signature --
Denjw

jcr1 wrote:

i had an experience with the RAAF, quite a few years ago. It was back in the day when the RNZAF had Sky Hawks. I was getting my cows in one afternoon for milking; just ambling along on my ATV and the cows were quite happy with things and they were ambling to the milking shed at their own quiet pace. All was peaceful, when all of a sudden a couple of those Aussie jets with the double tails screamed over the hill, this was followed by a few Sky Hawks doing rolls and things. I reckon I just about had a heart attack! The cows were in the yard in a minute - they just took off! I found out, subsequently there were joint exercises on between NZ and Australia and at the back of Stratford we were on the flight path from the Air Force Base at Ohakea. We never get to see fighter jets these days unless it's rarely a vampire jet owned by an enthusiast.

Ha, good story. Makes me think of a day when my late father and I were pumping sandworm down the coast near the mouth of the Snowy River at Marlo.

Dad was bent over pumping when I noticed a F-111 Aardvark ( based in Sale) flying along above the beach towards us. It was flying very low that I could see the pilot in the cockpit very clearly. The plane flew almost right above us but dad want bent over and did not see it or hear it as he was fairly deaf. But the sonic boom after it had passed frightened the hell out of him!

-- hide signature --
Austinian

Denjw wrote:

jcr1 wrote:

i had an experience with the RAAF, quite a few years ago. It was back in the day when the RNZAF had Sky Hawks. I was getting my cows in one afternoon for milking; just ambling along on my ATV and the cows were quite happy with things and they were ambling to the milking shed at their own quiet pace. All was peaceful, when all of a sudden a couple of those Aussie jets with the double tails screamed over the hill, this was followed by a few Sky Hawks doing rolls and things. I reckon I just about had a heart attack! The cows were in the yard in a minute - they just took off! I found out, subsequently there were joint exercises on between NZ and Australia and at the back of Stratford we were on the flight path from the Air Force Base at Ohakea. We never get to see fighter jets these days unless it's rarely a vampire jet owned by an enthusiast.

Ha, good story. Makes me think of a day when my late father and I were pumping sandworm down the coast near the mouth of the Snowy River at Marlo.

Dad was bent over pumping when I noticed a F-111 Aardvark ( based in Sale) flying along above the beach towards us. It was flying very low that I could see the pilot in the cockpit very clearly. The plane flew almost right above us but dad want bent over and did not see it or hear it as he was fairly deaf. But the sonic boom after it had passed frightened the hell out of him!

My similar experience was at a remote roadside rest area on the road to Sheffield, Texas. We were setting up camp when a F-4 Phantom appeared over a nearby cliff at a very low altitude (fortunately for our hearing, not quite supersonic) and disappeared before my friend could even raise their head!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads