Leica Tl/M240

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
The Maverick Forum Member • Posts: 85
Leica Tl/M240

Hi guys,

My friend is offering one of his leica. An M240  and a Leica T for about with the 18-56mm lens. The Leica T costs 62% less than the M240.

I've heard about the M240's bad iso performance @6400 iso.In contrast to that I read an article by Fstoppers claiming that the iso performance at 6400  was 2/3 stops better than the Sony a6000.

I'll not be bothered if the images could be pulled and used at 6400 as I dabble with 400 on my Foveon cameras. But now I also want to shoot at night.

PS: This would be my first entry into the digital Leica system.

Sigma DP2 Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 6,791
Re: Leica Tl/M240

Rent a 240 for a few days and see how You feel... L

-- hide signature --

You can only photograph what you can see, Open Your Eyes..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +10 more
LCT
LCT Senior Member • Posts: 1,182

The M240 suffers from banding at 6400 iso. 
Best,
LCT

Jon Schick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,902

As ever it depends upon the lighting conditions and exposure; you can get usable ISO6400 images from the 240, but if you attempt to lift darker shadow areas you'll get pretty bad banding.

The latest AI noise reduction programmes like Topaz or On1 can help a lot but don't completely eradicate it.  The images are usable for web viewing or smaller print sizes (certainly no more than 10x8) and occasionally you'll get a shocker that can't really be rescued.  That said, given most of the M lenses are pretty fast, I find I rarely need to use ISO6400.

If your interest is nighttime photography the decision might come down to whether you mean people/street or images that can be made with a tripod.  If it's night street photography then try before you buy.

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Sjak
Sjak Senior Member • Posts: 6,463

Maybe you can visit your friend, shoot the cameras, and see if you like their handling. Back home, evaluate the files.

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Sigma DP1 Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom Pentax K-1
M240 ISO6400 examples

Couple of unprocessed DNGs below - should be downloadable from the gallery so you can see for yourself what it's like.  A quick look above the books on the lower bookshelf shows the banding.

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
OP The Maverick Forum Member • Posts: 85

Yes, I tried both cameras. Personally, I think the M240 is a tad bit bigger than what I wanted it to be.Overall,I really liked the M240 but the high iso's are a problem. So, currently deciding between a used TL2 and a Fuji XT3.

The Maverick wrote:

Yes, I tried both cameras. Personally, I think the M240 is a tad bit bigger than what I wanted it to be.Overall,I really liked the M240 but the high iso's are a problem. So, currently deciding between a used TL2 and a Fuji XT3.

My other IL camera is an X-T4 and I'd highly recommend it.  There are some excellent X mount lenses.  Ultimately I enjoy using the M more when I want to be immersed in photography, but the Fuji is very capable and great if you prefer traditional controls.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads