D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
davescliches Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: D5, A9… or waiting for Z9 (sports photography)

lickity split wrote:

TOF guy wrote:

lickity split wrote:

whether the infamous A9 banding would be a real problem.

Not in the vast majority of the pictures you will take

I’d pick a D5, Z9 will end up going the same route the Sony A7Ii and Z6 which I’m confident will leaving wanting better AF

Totally disagree. Nikon understands that the Z9 is the D6 successor and will make sure its AF is as good if not better than the D6 and the A9II.

Nikon will never make a MILC camera that beats its flagship DSLR ,I’d like to say they ain’t that stupid but you never know , Nikon is not going to abandon its DSLR flagship line just because they made its first pro body Z , to even think that is ridiculous, a D7 is in the works and it’s AF will be top notch , the Z equivalent will always lag behind

In a week or so we will find out ......... my money is on the Z9 being easily the best !!

davescliches's gear list:davescliches's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,745
Wait till you see the new Nikon 100-400 that leaked yesterday.

The Z9, according to rumors, will have no mechanical shutter, shoot 20 fps 16 bit raw, 30fps reduces size images, shoot an hour of 8k video, shoot 4k 120 unlimited, and have the best AF of any camera period. I think it will be a game changer. And cheaper than a D6.

Enjoy your Sony.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +12 more
lickity split
lickity split Veteran Member • Posts: 6,171
Re: Wait till you see the new Nikon 100-400 that leaked yesterday.

sandy b wrote:

The Z9, according to rumors, will have no mechanical shutter, shoot 20 fps 16 bit raw, 30fps reduces size images, shoot an hour of 8k video, shoot 4k 120 unlimited, and have the best AF of any camera period. I think it will be a game changer. And cheaper than a D6.

Enjoy your Sony.

Specs mean nothing, just look at previous Z bodies for unfulfilled promises made.

-- hide signature --

“Perhaps if you removed some clothing . “
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lickitysplit11111/

lickity split's gear list:lickity split's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +11 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,828

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

Specs mean nothing, just look at previous Z bodies for unfulfilled promises made.

The Z9 might end up the best camera ever made, but as you said, I'd want more than specs before I laid down a nickel.  (do they even make nickels now )

Again, as you said, I've seen the unfulfilled promises.

One time you could count on the owners of anything new to give a fair assessment, but it's taken about 3 years for the truth to come out.  Such as, after 51 firmware updates, hope this one will fix the AF issues. When I had a D800 that was less than stellar, I pointed it out. Of course, now thinking back, it was likely the same fellows that denied that. 

We shall see. I have noticed that most of the Z9 teasers focus on video (pun in there it seems), and I'm a stills shooter, so there's that.  Again, we shall see.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +5 more
sandy b
sandy b Veteran Member • Posts: 9,745
DPR really needs a laugh button 😂

I feel like I've wandered into the Smithsonian.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +12 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,035
Re: Update

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

noegd wrote:

Thanks to all of you for your valuable input! Given some of the above exchanges, I see that I am not the only one being undecided about which way to go, or feeling bad/sad about Nikon's current situation/reputation (justified or not).

Sports photography is not my main activity, but it is effectively the only one I still use my Nikon DSLRs for. As life is too short, I might as well try to select the best tool for the job (within budgetary reason since I don't earn money from this).

The collective forum wisdom (if there is such a thing :-D) seems to be on waiting and seeing what the Z9 delivers, but (alas?), I have come across a too-good-to-pass deal on a very nice A9 (2000€). That and the excitement around the announcement of the 70-200 GM II made me pull the trigger.

I have played a bit with the camera already (on the excellent 24-105G and Batis 85 1.8 so far). No buyer remorse yet, the AF is as good as expected, and the ergonomy a clear step (or two) up from the A7 II, even if the grip is still not as good as Z6's and the buffer clearing time, even with an UHS-II card, is much longer than on the Z6 with an XQD card. Shooting 100% in silent electronic shutter mode is also pretty enthusing, even though Z6's shutter is honestly pretty quiet.

I might test the body a little further before fully committing to the system, but it looks like I'm in for a Sony 100-400 and new 70-200 GM soon, and will unload a ton of Nikon stuff.

As much as I'd like to adopt the Z9, it will probably be more expensive than I want and, more importantly, some lenses still not exist in Nikon Z mount (I shoot most of my outdoors sports photographs with a 100-400).

Biggest concern? Being struck by a severe form of GAS. Have you seen all those Sony FE mount lenses?

You should have waited for the Z9 launch, it’s looking like a breakthrough camera in all aspects, even though it will likely take some time to get one and price is likely to be 3x what you paid for the used a9. Good luck!

I don't think that's practical considering the OP figured it was 3 times in cost. Also it's months out, and Sony has a used product that satisfied his needs. That's compounded by Sony updating their lenses, in this case, likely eliminating any gap between the Sony 70-200 and the 70-200e / 70-200S.

Tough spot for Nikon. Every little thing compounds the fact that they were too late to the game. As I mentioned previously, the Z9, whatever it might be, has to now filter down to the masses in a low cost body.

Nikon doesn't have time or in the position to play marketing games, like 50 teaser videos. Assuming the product is finalized, they need to say "Here's what we have" Doesn't need to be in stores, but it needs to be out there, including the "surprise price" that NikonRumors mentioned.

If I were in the position Nikon is it, I'd do that and price it about $5000 US. So what if they don't make enough profit on it. They're going to bleed anyway. A stellar Z9 at $5000 US would give pros a bonus as well as make it more in reach of enthusiasts who might stretch a $3500 purchase to a $5000 purchase. I might even get over my "I'm never using an adapter" if they put out an improved FTZ to go along with a $5000 Z9.

And it might slow down the rush to Canon and Sony.

Never going to happen of course.

I quite agree with you on the price... I am actually on a Pre-Order list with my local B&M shop but I told my dealer that I will buy it only if the price is $6K or less... I am still not comfortable with EVFs specially for Action shots.... My issue with EVF is still the LAG between real time and the virtual image off the EVF.... regardless of the "No Blackout" capability there is still a lag. It is very important to me that the virtual image is as close to real time in the EVF since I do compose from the Viewfinder while the action is happening... Spray and Pray just does not do it for me. I will make a final decision to buy after I get to handle a Z9... otherwise I will either buy a D5 or D6 instead (used or refurbished).

Same here. I'm choosing the background (as much as the situation allows) while tracking the subject. A minimal delay, I guess, I could learn to accommodate. I use my left eye to look around the viewfinder and keep track of the background somewhat exclusive from the camera.

Or maybe yet another generation wait is needed. ?? Don't know.

Actually I have an idea how to overcome that Delay or Lag through electronic Time Shifting, however, it maybe costly and maybe a bit difficult for a regular user to understand and use - it would work like a very fast TIVO.... My background is in Semiconductors, I would love to get a chance to work on such a project one last time before I retire... OK Nikon - Hire me!

Have you seen Jeff Cable's presentation on shooting the Tokyo Olympics with the R3? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83uRsk4E1vU

Or Steve Perry's in-depth review of the Sony A1? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnN2IhsYK_M

I'd say the current gen of EVFs in the Canon and Sony flagships combined with the frame rate have rendered lag a moot point. I'd be surprised if the Z9 is anything but their equal in this regard. As that technology filters down to enthusiast and consumer mirrorless products, lag will become a non-issue for all photographers.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,828

Bill Ferris wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

noegd wrote:

Thanks to all of you for your valuable input! Given some of the above exchanges, I see that I am not the only one being undecided about which way to go, or feeling bad/sad about Nikon's current situation/reputation (justified or not).

Sports photography is not my main activity, but it is effectively the only one I still use my Nikon DSLRs for. As life is too short, I might as well try to select the best tool for the job (within budgetary reason since I don't earn money from this).

The collective forum wisdom (if there is such a thing :-D) seems to be on waiting and seeing what the Z9 delivers, but (alas?), I have come across a too-good-to-pass deal on a very nice A9 (2000€). That and the excitement around the announcement of the 70-200 GM II made me pull the trigger.

I have played a bit with the camera already (on the excellent 24-105G and Batis 85 1.8 so far). No buyer remorse yet, the AF is as good as expected, and the ergonomy a clear step (or two) up from the A7 II, even if the grip is still not as good as Z6's and the buffer clearing time, even with an UHS-II card, is much longer than on the Z6 with an XQD card. Shooting 100% in silent electronic shutter mode is also pretty enthusing, even though Z6's shutter is honestly pretty quiet.

I might test the body a little further before fully committing to the system, but it looks like I'm in for a Sony 100-400 and new 70-200 GM soon, and will unload a ton of Nikon stuff.

As much as I'd like to adopt the Z9, it will probably be more expensive than I want and, more importantly, some lenses still not exist in Nikon Z mount (I shoot most of my outdoors sports photographs with a 100-400).

Biggest concern? Being struck by a severe form of GAS. Have you seen all those Sony FE mount lenses?

You should have waited for the Z9 launch, it’s looking like a breakthrough camera in all aspects, even though it will likely take some time to get one and price is likely to be 3x what you paid for the used a9. Good luck!

I don't think that's practical considering the OP figured it was 3 times in cost. Also it's months out, and Sony has a used product that satisfied his needs. That's compounded by Sony updating their lenses, in this case, likely eliminating any gap between the Sony 70-200 and the 70-200e / 70-200S.

Tough spot for Nikon. Every little thing compounds the fact that they were too late to the game. As I mentioned previously, the Z9, whatever it might be, has to now filter down to the masses in a low cost body.

Nikon doesn't have time or in the position to play marketing games, like 50 teaser videos. Assuming the product is finalized, they need to say "Here's what we have" Doesn't need to be in stores, but it needs to be out there, including the "surprise price" that NikonRumors mentioned.

If I were in the position Nikon is it, I'd do that and price it about $5000 US. So what if they don't make enough profit on it. They're going to bleed anyway. A stellar Z9 at $5000 US would give pros a bonus as well as make it more in reach of enthusiasts who might stretch a $3500 purchase to a $5000 purchase. I might even get over my "I'm never using an adapter" if they put out an improved FTZ to go along with a $5000 Z9.

I quite agree with you on the price... I am actually on a Pre-Order list with my local B&M shop but I told my dealer that I will buy it only if the price is $6K or less... I am still not comfortable with EVFs specially for Action shots.... My issue with EVF is still the LAG between real time and the virtual image off the EVF.... regardless of the "No Blackout" capability there is still a lag. It is very important to me that the virtual image is as close to real time in the EVF since I do compose from the Viewfinder while the action is happening... Spray and Pray just does not do it for me. I will make a final decision to buy after I get to handle a Z9... otherwise I will either buy a D5 or D6 instead (used or refurbished).

Same here. I'm choosing the background (as much as the situation allows) while tracking the subject. A minimal delay, I guess, I could learn to accommodate. I use my left eye to look around the viewfinder and keep track of the background somewhat exclusive from the camera.

Actually I have an idea how to overcome that Delay or Lag through electronic Time Shifting, however, it maybe costly and maybe a bit difficult for a regular user to understand and use - it would work like a very fast TIVO.... My background is in Semiconductors, I would love to get a chance to work on such a project one last time before I retire... OK Nikon - Hire me!

Have you seen Jeff Cable's presentation on shooting the Tokyo Olympics with the R3? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83uRsk4E1vU

Or Steve Perry's in-depth review of the Sony A1? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnN2IhsYK_M

I'd say the current gen of EVFs in the Canon and Sony flagships combined with the frame rate have rendered lag a moot point. I'd be surprised if the Z9 is anything but their equal in this regard. As that technology filters down to enthusiast and consumer mirrorless products, lag will become a non-issue for all photographers.

Thanks for the links. I always said if ya bring me an ML worth giving a sideways glance to, I'd have a look, and that time may be now.  But at an extremely high price Canadian.

Too bad Sony doesn't discretely finance someone like Metabones to make an F to Sony adapter that, from Sony's perspective (and mine), would make switching to Sony easier.

Soon be time to start checking out the A1, Canon and the Z9.

Love how Steve Perry is now a 3 system shooter.   Gotta follow the $$$$$$s and hedge your bet I guess.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +5 more
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,035

T O Shooter wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

noegd wrote:

Thanks for the links. I always said if ya bring me an ML worth giving a sideways glance to, I'd have a look, and that time may be now. But at an extremely high price Canadian.

Yeah, I need to hit the Powerball

Too bad Sony doesn't discretely finance someone like Metabones to make an F to Sony adapter that, from Sony's perspective (and mine), would make switching to Sony easier.

Hmm, I wonder if that might be in the works?

Love how Steve Perry is now a 3 system shooter. Gotta follow the $$$$$$s and hedge your bet I guess.

In a recent video, he explained that a significant piece of his business is leading tours and he's invested in multiple brands to be better able to answer his clients' questions about their camera gear. I think he also sees it as broadening the audience for his channel and photography guidebooks.

I like that, in addition to being a good wildlife photographer, he seems fairly brand agnostic and so disinclined to favor one brand over another based on anything other than performance.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 4,891

T O Shooter wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

vbuhay wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

rhlpetrus wrote:

noegd wrote:

Thanks for the links. I always said if ya bring me an ML worth giving a sideways glance to, I'd have a look, and that time may be now. But at an extremely high price Canadian.

Love how Steve Perry is now a 3 system shooter. Gotta follow the $$$$$$s and hedge your bet I guess.

Thanks for the link, I watched Jeff Cable presentation and Steve Perry but I did not hear anything about the Lag whatsoever... I understand that the fast frame rate might be helpful but I have tried the A9 and I currently do have the Z50 and the lag on those bodies do not work for me... I did however got a lot of good shooting information about shooting sports and Olympics.... Its is one of my bucket list to shoot in the Olympics a very long shot but Olympics is here in LA in 2028.... Surfing and skate boarding would be my specialty...

My chance is a very long shot but.... you never know! I will have the Z9 by then and my NPS membership...

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon D500 Nikon D4S +37 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,047

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

I’m aware that plenty of unrealistic expectations from users may not have been met.

I’m not aware of Nikon breaking any promises.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +39 more
lickity split

michaeladawson wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

I’m aware that plenty of unrealistic expectations from users may not have been met.

Is having a working AF system unrealistic?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65575411

The authors one concern which is AF was not addressed in the firmware update ,countless threads on this , would you like to see more ?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65573878

Nikon has little credibility left and I seriously doubt anyone who’s been paying attention for the past few years believes anything Nikon or their paid Ambassadors have to say about performance of any of their products ,they’d rather sell you a product and move on but you can only do that so many times before consumers turn their backs on you, Nikon’s crossed that bridge already , look at the

oil spots on the D600 which caused a lawsuit which I was part of ( they sent me a D610 )

D800 AF issues

D750 several service advisories that went on for years

Crap AF of the DF

crap AF on all Z cameras produced to date

SB-900 overheating,to be replaced by SB910

I think I’ll make some popcorn ….

-- hide signature --

Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +11 more
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,807

lickity split wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

The authors one concern which is AF was not addressed in the firmware update ,countless threads on this , would you like to see more ?

Nikon has little credibility left and I seriously doubt anyone who’s been paying attention for the past few years believes anything Nikon or their paid Ambassadors have to say about performance of any of their products ,they’d rather sell you a product and move on but you can only do that so many times before consumers turn their backs on you, Nikon’s crossed that bridge already , look at the

oil spots on the D600 which caused a lawsuit which I was part of ( they sent me a D610 )

D800 AF issues

Crap AF of the DF

Yeh the Z7 AF was pretty atrocious on release and even now isn't great. 
Brand ambassadors? What can we say about that. One of the few I liked, Jeff Ascough who was for canon one for years doesn't even do it now. I assume tired of that racket, who knows.

lickity split

T O Shooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

The Z9 might end up the best camera ever made, but as you said, I'd want more than specs before I laid down a nickel. (do they even make nickels now )

One time you could count on the owners of anything new to give a fair assessment, but it's taken about 3 years for the truth to come out. Such as, after 51 firmware updates, hope this one will fix the AF issues. When I had a D800 that was less than stellar, I pointed it out. Of course, now thinking back, it was likely the same fellows that denied that.

We shall see. I have noticed that most of the Z9 teasers focus on video (pun in there it seems), and I'm a stills shooter, so there's that. Again, we shall see.

It’s the same folks , there’s plenty that are regulars on DPR that only post a month or so before a products release and hang around a few months after release to sing it’s praises and put out any fires that arise..I’m not expecting much negative chatter in the beginning simply because not many will be buying this because of price alone, Even the working Pros will avoid this just because of the track record from previous Z bodies,

Theyll have a preview written by Nikon and an Ambassador will post it here on DPR a day or two before release,  ( spoiler alert)  “ it’ll be a game changer” 🤣🤣

-- hide signature --

lickity split

primeshooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

D800 AF issues

Crap AF of the DF

Yeh the Z7 AF was pretty atrocious on release and even now isn't great.
Brand ambassadors? What can we say about that. One of the few I liked, Jeff Ascough who was for canon one for years doesn't even do it now. I assume tired of that racket, who knows.

Nikon is only trying to produce a product that’s average ( on a good day), the D600 wasn’t that’s why they immediately caved as soon as a lawsuit surfaced,

https://www.britannica.com/topic/caveat-emptor

-- hide signature --

primeshooter

lickity split wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

The Z9 might end up the best camera ever made, but as you said, I'd want more than specs before I laid down a nickel. (do they even make nickels now )

One time you could count on the owners of anything new to give a fair assessment, but it's taken about 3 years for the truth to come out. Such as, after 51 firmware updates, hope this one will fix the AF issues. When I had a D800 that was less than stellar, I pointed it out. Of course, now thinking back, it was likely the same fellows that denied that.

We shall see. I have noticed that most of the Z9 teasers focus on video (pun in there it seems), and I'm a stills shooter, so there's that. Again, we shall see.

It’s the same folks , there’s plenty that are regulars on DPR that only post a month or so before a products release and hang around a few months after release to sing it’s praises and put out any fires that arise..I’m not expecting much negative chatter in the beginning simply because not many will be buying this because of price alone, Even the working Pros will avoid this just because of the track record from previous Z bodies,

Theyll have a preview written by Nikon and an Ambassador will post it here on DPR a day or two before release, ( spoiler alert) “ it’ll be a game changer” 🤣🤣

This old game's been changed so many times I don't even understand if we are playing football or lacrosse. Game changer is the most overused term in photography isn't it?

lickity split

primeshooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

Theyll have a preview written by Nikon and an Ambassador will post it here on DPR a day or two before release, ( spoiler alert) “ it’ll be a game changer” 🤣🤣

This old game's been changed so many times I don't even understand if we are playing football or lacrosse. Game changer is the most overused term in photography isn't it?

I think so , that’s why I used it 😄, I won’t be surprised if Nikon uses it via one of their ambassadors,

-- hide signature --

primeshooter

lickity split wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

I think so , that’s why I used it 😄, I won’t be surprised if Nikon uses it via one of their ambassadors,

You know what's a game changer? AF that actually works and one can rely on when shooting things that move. Actually scratch that; more of a prerequisite!

lickity split

primeshooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

You know what's a game changer? AF that actually works and one can rely on when shooting things that move. Actually scratch that; more of a prerequisite!

Nikon dragged its feet entering the market and when it did finally enter it it was with a slew of inferior products , I got burnt once by Nikon and it won’t happen again and Im sure current and past Z owners feel the same way, Z9 has an uphill battle and Nikon built the hill it could die on .

-- hide signature --

michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 17,047

lickity split wrote:

michaeladawson wrote:

Again, you don't address the full question. I specifically asked what promises Nikon broke. I'm aware of none.

It's not unreasonable to expect AF performance as good as the competition if you look at the long term product roadmap.  It's unrealistic to expect it in the next couple of firmware updates, which is what my referenced comment was about in the context of that entire thread.

I don't know why anyone even responds to you anymore. You're just a broken record on this.

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Nikon D5 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon D7200 Nikon Z7 +39 more
primeshooter

lickity split wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

T O Shooter wrote:

lickity split wrote:

sandy b wrote:

Enjoy your Sony.

Nikon dragged its feet entering the market and when it did finally enter it it was with a slew of inferior products , I got burnt once by Nikon and it won’t happen again and Im sure current and past Z owners feel the same way, Z9 has an uphill battle and Nikon built the hill it could die on .

Same, and to be fair Canon has played this game too. Their RP body for their first FX mirrorless was crap too, more like an experiment than a fully functioning camera. The difference is they fixed it all, above and beyond all that was expected with the R5 and R6. Nikon still hasn't.

I am open minded about the Z9. The sensor looks good, the screen looks great (love the tilt both ways thing), and hope the AF is good too. The issue is, Nikon cannot wait another 2 years to trickle this tech into a Z8. They just can't.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads