“New” toy… nFD 300 2.8L

Started 3 months ago | Photos
dougr Regular Member • Posts: 457
“New” toy… nFD 300 2.8L

Just received BGN condition nFD 300 2.8L. Cosmetically BGN, but glass is close to perfect (tiny, tiny scratch & a bit of dust). Did a quick test shot on R6 tonight, but want to run it through its paces before the return window closes in a few weeks. First foray into adapted lenses, so not quite sure what is best for testing. Do not want to return lens due to adapter issue, but not sure I’d know how to recognize that vs lens issues (break out the digital calipers to verify uniform thickness?).

not sure I expect much of the moon w/ 300mm, but looking forward to testing more tomorrow

dougr's gear list:dougr's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
phouphou Contributing Member • Posts: 682
Re: “New” toy… nFD 300 2.8L

Those lenses should perform very well on MILCs even with $20 adapters, and are actually more useful than on any body before (DSLR, SLR), because of IBIS and good EVFs (focus magnification) making focusing on more static subjects super easy.

its an optically outstandning lens and probably the cheapest way of getting true supertelephoto quality for below $1000. And the design is pretty much the same as on the EF versions.

I've always been tempted, but i own the cheaper ($300) nFD 300 f4L that is as sharp and much smaller, although bokeh is a not nearly as nice. I also am looking for a FD 500mm f/4.5L, but those are rare and finding a good offer is even harder...

You might want to check out some of the reviews to compare the image quality of your sample to https://phillipreeve.net/blog/review-canon-fd-300mm-12-8-l-sony-a7/

depending on what you paid there shouldnt be too much dust in the lens, although that will rarely be a problem at all. Aperture blades should always be clean and mechanically no problems with aperture or focus ring.

phouphou's gear list:phouphou's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +12 more
OP dougr Regular Member • Posts: 457

All checks out and focusing is straightforward as expected. The peaking is hard to use with low-contrast subjects, but magnification works well for that (albeit is made a bit more difficult handheld at 300mm). Sharpness is great as is the bokeh. Picked up 1.4x-a and 2x-b teleconverters to play around with as well. Happy with the purchase 👍🏻

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more

dougr wrote:

not sure I expect much of the moon w/ 300mm, but looking forward to testing more tomorrow

Nothing special, but clear night deserved another moon shot, this time with the 1.4x-a TC. SOOC... just cropped on 2nd one.

And with stacked 1.4x & 2x… 840mm f/8, SOOC

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads