Connect USB without blocking the display

Started 7 months ago | Questions
Cps001 New Member • Posts: 4
Connect USB without blocking the display

Does anyone know how to connect the D500 with USB to a computer (regardless of computer OS) without blocking the screen.

I would like to connect it to my Raspberry Pi to see the memory card but still be able to operate the camera, like preview images and mark them as protected.

So far the camera refuses to preview images as soon as the USB cable is connected.

Thanks
Peter

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,831
Re: Connect USB without blocking the display

I've used this wirelessly with my PC's ... downloads instantly and doesn't affect camera monitor.

https://dslrdashboard.info/

And, remarkably,--You can now download the qDslrDashboard V3.6.4 for Raspberry Pi

Hope this helps.

Arnie

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
OP Cps001 New Member • Posts: 4

Yes I am aware of the wireless and it works in most situations. But when I shoot sports in large arenas with many photographers and a lot of spectators the wifi becomes so noisy that the connection is dropped.

Then I thought I would try to build something that can connect through USB like the WT-7, but less expensive.

/Peter

arniebook Senior Member • Posts: 1,831

Have you tried qDslrDashboard to see if it still blocks the camera monitor? Or is the problem simply camera based, meaning when you plug a usb into the camera, it automatically turns the camera display off?

I don't want to waste your time, but I am curious as to what your set-up is and how you intend to use it. I am not a pro, but I shoot several Tennis Tournaments a year for various charitable organizations and clubs, and have often wondered if I could stream stills from my D500 wifi to my windows laptop several yards from where I am shooting, and have the laptop connected to a large screen TV via mini HDMI for an almost real time display. ... no real reason, other than it would be cool! 

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times what we (j)ustify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the (e)njoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $xxxx=$²(j+e )

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR +3 more
OP Cps001 New Member • Posts: 4

Hi Arnie

As soon as I connect a USB cable to the camera with a PC in the other end the screen is blocked and I cannot view images or mark them for transfer, the normal menu is working.

The WT-7 also connects to the USB port but from the manual I have found that you can still work on the camera screen to select images so they do something to prevent the camera from locking the screen.

My idea is to connect the Raspberry Pi to the USB port and then being able to either use a wired network connection from the Pi or a "real" wi-fi compared to the weak camera built in wi-fi. This would extend the distance and increase the transfer speed.

If anyone knows how to make the camera not lock the screen when using a USB cable I would be more than happy get to know how

Thanks
Peter

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads