Need light stand help!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Zendit_Outdoors Forum Member • Posts: 66
Need light stand help!

Looking for some lesser expensive light stands to use with some LED panels for my video studio setup. I’m getting an Aputure 672C panel as a key light and a small AL-F7 (replacement for the 197) and I’m hoping to find a couple of stands that won’t break the bank or be too big and bulky. One of them (for the small  Al-F7) needs to have a boom arm so I can use it as a hair light. Any suggestions?

Separately, I will be getting an Aputure 120D mark iii and the Aputure Light Dome II before long, so I need to start looking for a stand for it as well. Any suggestions there? I was thinking maybe a Neewer C Stand Pro but I’m not sure. Suggestions on this would also be appreciated!

tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,696
Re: Need light stand help!

What country are you in and in what situations (inside , outside, both inside and outside?)

Also how are you proposing to use the C Stand? Are you going to mount it on top or do you propose to try and use the grip arm as a boom?

ronscuba Senior Member • Posts: 1,043

Zendit_Outdoors wrote:

Looking for some lesser expensive light stands to use with some LED panels for my video studio setup. I’m getting an Aputure 672C panel as a key light and a small AL-F7 (replacement for the 197) and I’m hoping to find a couple of stands that won’t break the bank or be too big and bulky. One of them (for the small Al-F7) needs to have a boom arm so I can use it as a hair light. Any suggestions?

Separately, I will be getting an Aputure 120D mark iii and the Aputure Light Dome II before long, so I need to start looking for a stand for it as well. Any suggestions there? I was thinking maybe a Neewer C Stand Pro but I’m not sure. Suggestions on this would also be appreciated!

For C-stands I would go with a higher tier brand like Kupo, Matthews or

Avenger.

TheMerchantofVenice Regular Member • Posts: 305

If you get something like Matthews or Kupo they Will last for a career. Leave them to your kids in your will 😊

if you would like to step down a bit in quality and price look into Avenger.

if you’re not terribly hard on equipment and do not really heavy duty uses over a long period of time you might be interested in adorama’s flashpoint brand. I currently have four of these and find them entirely adequate.  It’s possible to use the included grip arm is a boom, but it’s not very long and not as sturdy as a real boom.

ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,790

Hi, When faced with choosing a new light stand, back in the day, I wish I had known more about the limitations / downsides / restrictions associated with each category. After all, the positives are usually pretty obvious from the spec sheet or ad blurb.

So, starting with 3 broad categories; here goes: 1) Aluminium stands – 2) Thin-walled Stainless stands – 3) Thick walled chromed steel stands (includes thick walled stainless types).

Aluminium stands vary in quality but will virtually never match the ultimate payload characteristics or general toughness of steel stands. I use and like several stands in this category – essentially for their modest weight – but I almost never use them to support a boom, except, perhaps for the lightest payloads. The tightening collars or knuckles may be of plastic or metal – both can fail, so look for those that look ample and well-engineered.

Next up, is the relatively new category of Stainless steel but thin-walled stands. These only date from c 2018 and as a result are less common. Typically they are built down to a price which can introduce Achilles heels, notably the use of pop rivets instead of bolts, rather weak leg braces and top fittings on their centre columns, that while adaptable are not as strong as solid welded-in Baby pin fittings. Usually, their legs do not make 45 degree angles with the floor, complicating the use of after-market castors etc. Generally they are a little tougher than their modest weight would suggest. Neewer, Interfit and now B&H & Adorama all offer some stands from this category.

The third group are the thick walled heavy steel (chromed or actually stainless) stands. While they are heavy, they are all really strong (at least those from reputable manufacturers are). Their ultimate stability may be compromised somewhat by footprint diameter limitations (that includes all ‘C-stands’ whose shortest leg only reaches 48 cm from the centre column). But assuming their footprint diameter spec is something like 110 cm or greater then their stability is impressive – especially so as they are strong enough to withstand extremely heavy sandbagging as well as heavy payloads.

Of course you could dream up other categories of stand, e.g. those with self-setting legs, those with novel approaches to having one or more levelling legs – and – those with built-in booms etc.. But the construction materials and wall thickness issues remain relevant.

B&H's "Studio Essential" stands are fair value and might act as a benchmark against which to judge your possible choices.

Happy hunting!

ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 90D
tugwilson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,696

ScratchDisk wrote:

[ship]

The third group are the thick walled heavy steel (chromed or actually stainless) stands. While they are heavy, they are all really strong (at least those from reputable manufacturers are). Their ultimate stability may be compromised somewhat by footprint diameter limitations (that includes all ‘C-stands’ whose shortest leg only reaches 48 cm from the centre column). But assuming their footprint diameter spec is something like 110 cm or greater then their stability is impressive – especially so as they are strong enough to withstand extremely heavy sandbagging as well as heavy payloads.

You might find this short video on the limitations of using C-stands for heavy loads especially if they are extended. The bit at the end about the danger of the legs collapsing is new to me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads