tried a PC: returning it

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tom Roberts
Tom Roberts Forum Member • Posts: 53
tried a PC: returning it

I tried an HP Omen for a few days the issues I had were un fixable.

1st Windows insistence of uploading to one drive if you delete from one drive also deletes from your computer. In Apple you choose what gets uploaded and when.

Capture One is not nearly as responsive on PC and is missing features on PC versions.

speed of importing was slower on PC generating previews slower

I'm glad I have my M1 Mac mini and although OWC dock resolves many things cable management was better on PC.

taking pc back in the morning I've used both for years so familiarity with both systems not the issue.

Tom Roberts's gear list:Tom Roberts's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,571
Re: tried a PC: returning it

Tom Roberts wrote:

I tried an HP Omen for a few days the issues I had were un fixable.

1st Windows insistence of uploading to one drive if you delete from one drive also deletes from your computer. In Apple you choose what gets uploaded and when.

Capture One is not nearly as responsive on PC and is missing features on PC versions.

speed of importing was slower on PC generating previews slower

I'm glad I have my M1 Mac mini and although OWC dock resolves many things cable management was better on PC.

taking pc back in the morning I've used both for years so familiarity with both systems not the issue.

Thanks for relating your experience.

I'm surprised about Capture One missing features!

ACDSee Ultimate is not available on MacOS, and I had trouble installing older Topaz applications on my M1 Macbook. Recent Topaz AI titles worked fine, though they took a long time to install over WiFi. DxO PhotoLab works great, though it's not M1 native yet.

Tom Roberts
OP Tom Roberts Forum Member • Posts: 53

From CapOne: Both versions have a full set of functions and tools, though you might have noticed some minor extra features available in the Mac version and not present in the Windows version. We are striving to make sure that both versions have the same set of features, but that also highly depends on the options the operating system platform provides for implementing those features. Thus, sometimes the availability of the features might be a little out of sync. Along with 4 pages of examples.

Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Phase One Capture One Pro +2 more
Tom Roberts

Going to give PC another try before returning fresh install seems to be acting better.

teohyc Regular Member • Posts: 385

Tom Roberts wrote:

Going to give PC another try before returning fresh install seems to be acting better.

Regarding your Microsoft OneDrive issue, OneDrive is meant to be a 1-1 sync of your computer. It's almost a complete backup.

With OneDrive, the files on your computer will either be the actual file (takes up storage) or bookmarks to the actual files (stored online). You can choose either depending on your workflow.

The nice thing about OneDrive compared to MacOS backup via Time Machine is, in the event that your computer crashes, you don't have to restore any files because all your files are on OneDrive (because it's a 1-1 sync). All you have to do is sign into the Microsoft account, and all your files are there.

When your crashed computer is sent for servicing, you'll still have access to OneDrive via your phone, tablet, and hence you still have access to your files. With MacOS backup, you only have access after your computer is back from the service centre, and restore is complete.

-- hide signature --

M43 user

teohyc's gear list:teohyc's gear list
Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R
CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,571

teohyc wrote:

Tom Roberts wrote:

Often the case with OEM supplied W10.

Regarding your Microsoft OneDrive issue, OneDrive is meant to be a 1-1 sync of your computer. It's almost a complete backup.

This is not the default for OneDrive, but can be arranged.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/turn-on-onedrive-backup-4e44ceab-bcdf-4d17-9ae0-6f00f6080adb

On my work W10, only items in the OneDrive folder are copied.

silentstorm Senior Member • Posts: 1,508
An ofter overlook feature of Win10

Tom Roberts wrote:

Win10 OS allow users to roll back updates & patches within a time frame that caused problems to users' computers. This feature alone has saved many ass-es including mine. LOL!  Time machine is more of a hassle compared to roll back on Win, been there done that.

It's not all bad but, if your workflow involves OneDrive or some software not working out for you, you should change to something else more productive.

Tom Roberts
Re: An ofter overlook feature of Win10

I gave it another shot migrating photos went much better with OneDrive disabled. Finally came down to usability within my Capture One program. Heard in a year or so PC/Mac versions will run the same and have same feature set. Returned PC and will revisit in another year. M1 Macs run Capture One extremely well.

Andy Hewitt Veteran Member • Posts: 4,470

teohyc wrote:

Tom Roberts wrote:

With OneDrive, the files on your computer will either be the actual file (takes up storage) or bookmarks to the actual files (stored online). You can choose either depending on your workflow.

The nice thing about OneDrive compared to MacOS backup via Time Machine is, in the event that your computer crashes, you don't have to restore any files because all your files are on OneDrive (because it's a 1-1 sync). All you have to do is sign into the Microsoft account, and all your files are there.

You know you can do this with iCloud too?

Of course it depends on what level of backup you want, but Time Machine is not the same as a cloud backup, as it is Time Machine is a full, and incremental (historical), backup of any drive (you choose to add) that is connected to your Mac.

The cloud 'syncs' are files that you choose to add to your cloud storage, such as documents, photos, keychains, bookmarks, downloads, and various apps storage etc. Just having a look at One Drive, and that seems similar to iCloud Drive in this respect, so neither will backup system folders or application installations.

You've done a bit of a cross purpose comparison there really, as both systems have similar capabilities with regards to local, physical, backups and cloud based syncing.

When your crashed computer is sent for servicing, you'll still have access to OneDrive via your phone, tablet, and hence you still have access to your files. With MacOS backup, you only have access after your computer is back from the service centre, and restore is complete.

Completely untrue if you're using iCloud storage for an Apple based system (of course that doesn't include any files that you're chosen to only store locally, but that can apply the any OS platform, or indeed iDevice).

-- hide signature --

Andy H

Andy Hewitt's gear list:Andy Hewitt's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads