Bought a faulty Pentax-DA 11-18?

Started 7 months ago | Questions
GoodD New Member • Posts: 7
Bought a faulty Pentax-DA 11-18?

Dears,

I've been reading this forum for years, thanks for all the photos, discussions, tips&trics, et cetera!

Now it's time to ask a first question, actually it's a call for help

Today I received a brand-new star -> Pentax-DA 11-18mmF2.8 and made a short trip to the downtown late afternoon. I played with the lens but the results were... incosistent (not to say terrible).

I took several photos not changing the settings nor the scenery but there was a huge difference in the exposure level of the photos.

The lens works well at 11mm but at 18mm it looks like the aperture sometimes is not closed enough (or at all).

I ended up doing a quick test. A series of photos with the same parameters, same scenery, You can see them below.

Taken with K-3II, firmware v1.10. No postprocessing applied, just resized.

Perhaps it is worth mentioning that I made the same test with DA 20-40 Ltd. and every picture had the same level of exposure. No problems with the body I assume.

Is that something wrong with the lens or did I use it improperly? Do I need to upgrade the firmware to the newest one to make the lens work?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 41,347
Re: Bought a faulty Pentax-DA 11-18?

First off, why not upgrade the firmware and run the test again, if it still exhibits the same behavior take it back for a replacement

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 2,649

What is the metering set to?  Matrix, Centre weiht or Spot?

Doug

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 +37 more
PentUp
PentUp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,412

It looks to me like it was an overcast day with moving cloud cover and I note occasional patches of blue sky (last image). I suspect that the ambient light was changing between shots and the camera was adjusting to light changes between shots... However if you want a technical/scientific explanation as to why/how... I'm the wrong person to ask!

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 Mark III +11 more
Kobie M-C
Kobie M-C Contributing Member • Posts: 546

Have you accidentally changed your metering to be biased towards the focus point? Were you shooting in Manual? TAv?

The combo of "exposure linked to AF point" and those items can have a pretty big change on your exposure.

Also, the setting of allowing the camera to compensate for out of exposure shots can also cause what would seem to be inconsistencies. I can't recall off hand what that setting is specifically called though.

-- hide signature --

I am not a Pentax insider. I just have a unique way of gaining insight.

Kobie M-C's gear list:Kobie M-C's gear list
Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 +6 more
ozdean
ozdean Forum Pro • Posts: 28,092

Did you have your lens hood attached?

-- hide signature --

Regards Dean - Capturing Creation
N.B. All my Images are Protected by Copyright

ozdean's gear list:ozdean's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Mark III Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +14 more
Carlos U Regular Member • Posts: 333

Besides the changes in light levels, if you look carefully, the foreground is softer in the lighter pictures, or a bit sharper in the darker ones (look in to the granite block on the right and the grill on the left, specially between photos #4 and #5). I asume all pictures where focused at the same distance.

This could be a sign of a sticky aperture. According to EXIF all pictures where taken at f5.6. Looks like on the three that are brighter the aperture was wider.

-- hide signature --

Saludos,
Carlos.

Carlos U's gear list:Carlos U's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL +12 more
doceyes Regular Member • Posts: 150

take the lens off the camera, turn the lens over and slide the aperture lever back and forth, make sure it moves smoothly and the diaphragm opens and closes properly. Look at a light source at the same time to make it easier to observe. Start with the lens set at 11 mm and then try it in between, then at 18mm. If it is not opening and closing quickly then something is stuck or bent.

Had a lens with a similar problem and the lever was stuck at one end of the focal length.

doceyes's gear list:doceyes's gear list
Pentax 645D Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Pentax K-1
kypfer Contributing Member • Posts: 786

Looking at what EXIF data is left attached to the images, the two I checked were both taken at 1/125 @ f/5.6 1000ASA, which suggests to me the camera was set on manual and there were passing clouds affecting the light levels, but without a full set of EXIF data, that's only a guess

kypfer's gear list:kypfer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax *ist DS Pentax *ist DL2 Pentax K200D Samsung NX5 +7 more
KPM2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,805

Hello

Carlos U wrote:

Besides the changes in light levels, if you look carefully, the foreground is softer in the lighter pictures, or a bit sharper in the darker ones (look in to the granite block on the right and the grill on the left, specially between photos #4 and #5). I asume all pictures where focused at the same distance.

This could be a sign of a sticky aperture. According to EXIF all pictures where taken at f5.6. Looks like on the three that are brighter the aperture was wider.

well spotted ! On the other hand, why this happens only at 18mm I have no idea, because the apertures have nothing to do with the focal length.

To the OP: you can try out easier test pictures: a close up, where the change of the DOF get very quick visible. When the illumination of the scene do can not change (maybe done at home with room light) and you use always the same setting and the same focus and camera position (maybe use a tripod or put the camera on a desk or something), than your aperture blades do close not always equal, when the pictures have different brightness and different DOF's.

On the other hand, for to do such test's, I have a lens, where such sticky apertures can happens only, when the lens get cold. Therefore, when you send back the lens and they try it out in a warm room....they may find nothing and send it back to you. Therefore try it out if a cold temperature of the lens cause it and mention this to them.

best regards KPM2

kriztian Senior Member • Posts: 1,425

have you tried to change the metering method in camera? like single point metering and average metering? I think you should, just to eliminate the camera itself from the equation

-- hide signature --

kriztian

OP GoodD New Member • Posts: 7

DougOB wrote:

What is the metering set to? Matrix, Centre weiht or Spot?

Doug

In this case Matrix, but I did test with Centre weight and basically got similar inconsistency.

Kobie M-C wrote:

Have you accidentally changed your metering to be biased towards the focus point? Were you shooting in Manual? TAv?

The combo of "exposure linked to AF point" and those items can have a pretty big change on your exposure.

Also, the setting of allowing the camera to compensate for out of exposure shots can also cause what would seem to be inconsistencies. I can't recall off hand what that setting is specifically called though.

That was TAv with the following settings: 1/125, f5.6, EV 0.0, the body firmly kept ISO 1000.

Both custom functions (Link AE and AF point + Auto EV compensation) set to off.

This series was done with Live View, without changing the AF point.

All shots made within lest than a 30 seconds -> no noticeable change in the light of the scene.

Other tests with Center Weight and with viewfinder shooting (without Live View) resulted in similar inconsistent exposure.

I repeated the test with Pentax-DA 20-40mm Limited and all shots were accurately exposured. I've never had any problems with other lenses.

ozdean wrote:

Did you have your lens hood attached?

Yes, all the time.

Carlos U wrote:

Correct -> focus point wasn't changed.

I also suspect that even though the setting was f5.6, some of the shots were taken wide-open.

doceyes wrote:

take the lens off the camera, turn the lens over and slide the aperture lever back and forth, make sure it moves smoothly and the diaphragm opens and closes properly. Look at a light source at the same time to make it easier to observe. Start with the lens set at 11 mm and then try it in between, then at 18mm. If it is not opening and closing quickly then something is stuck or bent.

Had a lens with a similar problem and the lever was stuck at one end of the focal length.

I played with the aperture lever as you suggested and it seems it works fine.

Swedish Viking New Member • Posts: 5

Hi,

I noticed that the first picture in a sequence is probably taken with the aperture "lagging", the rest is fine. (If you look at the persons moving you can see which one is the first).

Its not likely due to clouds movin etc, since its a very short time between the exposures. Probably a sticky aperture, BUT: It could be your camera. I would try to take a couple of test shots with another camera if you have that possibility.

So: Probably sticky aperture, but could be "sticky camera aperture control".

I've got a replacement and it works perfectly consistent!

Thanks folks for your assistance!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads