Burnt out on my x100f

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
selrond New Member • Posts: 2
Burnt out on my x100f

A little story of mine if I might:

I bought myself x100f about 2 years ago as my first camera ever, partly because of my long-time interest in hobby photography but mainly because our kid was born, and I wanted to capture the fleeting memories for years to come.

It was an investment.

What followed was the pure joy and excitement of learning to work with the camera, learning the basics of photography, work with the scene, the moment, the light, then editing and so on. I was documenting every family gathering, almost every day of our family life, etc. I was taking x100f with me everywhere. I loved it.

But then, after a year or so, I've noticed I use it less and less. Somehow the excitement wore off, or disappeared. I also started noticing the imperfections and limitations of the lens (f/2 closeup performance...). Suddenly, I was not finding interesting scenes / subjects to shoot. The film simulation colors got boring. The focal length got boring.

In parallel to the gradual boredom with x100f, I've started to look at various other focal lengths & thus bodies as well (X-T3, X-T4). In fact, I've even started saving up for the X-T4. I'm finding it to be really exciting to look at the output of various lenses and what I'd be able to do with them (GAS?)

My concern though is this:

What if the same thing repeats and I find myself with x100f & X-T4 with a couple of lenses and a couple of thousands spent on it, not finding joy in it like it seem to be now?

And - more generally - has anybody had a similar experience to mine? Being burnt out on photography / camera, not knowing why? (It's my hobby, I'm not forced to it).

I'm not even sure I ask the right thing, just tried to summarize what's going through my head for some time now.

Thank you for any help

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,967
Re: Burnt out on my x100f

You're bored with photography.  A new camera won't help I think.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 18,505

selrond wrote:

I bought myself x100f about 2 years ago as my first camera ever, partly because of my long-time interest in hobby photography but mainly because our kid was born, and I wanted to capture the fleeting memories for years to come.

It was an investment.

What followed was the pure joy and excitement of learning to work with the camera, learning the basics of photography, work with the scene, the moment, the light, then editing and so on. I was documenting every family gathering, almost every day of our family life, etc. I was taking x100f with me everywhere. I loved it.

But then, after a year or so, I've noticed I use it less and less. Somehow the excitement wore off, or disappeared. I also started noticing the imperfections and limitations of the lens (f/2 closeup performance...). Suddenly, I was not finding interesting scenes / subjects to shoot. The film simulation colors got boring. The focal length got boring.

In parallel to the gradual boredom with x100f, I've started to look at various other focal lengths & thus bodies as well (X-T3, X-T4). In fact, I've even started saving up for the X-T4. I'm finding it to be really exciting to look at the output of various lenses and what I'd be able to do with them (GAS?)

What if the same thing repeats and I find myself with x100f & X-T4 with a couple of lenses and a couple of thousands spent on it, not finding joy in it like it seem to be now?

And - more generally - has anybody had a similar experience to mine? Being burnt out on photography / camera, not knowing why? (It's my hobby, I'm not forced to it).

I'm not even sure I ask the right thing, just tried to summarize what's going through my head for some time now.

Thank you for any help

Honestly, there's really no good way to predict the future and whether an X-T4 (for example) would result in the same issue after a period of time. You might start by simply renting a kit (body and a couple of lenses) for a week or so and really running it through its paces. See if it "recharges your batteries" and offers creative avenues that your current camera simply can't. There's no guarantee that any excitement you feel after that trial will "stick." However, it may enable you to explore aspects of your hobby that might not have been possible with your X100F.

See how you feel after that trial and be as dispassionate as possible in assessing whether a purchase would significantly improve your ability to explore opportunities that otherwise might be more difficult with the camera you have. If it doesn't make enough of a difference to directly impact your photography and creativity then you will have saved yourself a boatload of money.

In my case, I don't need a rental to realize that the X100F is absolutely the wrong camera for me. I rely heavily on having a fairly wide set of FL ranges available. I would find the constraints of a fixed lens camera to be totally unacceptable... but that's strictly my own perspective, and clearly it's a very individual thing. Perhaps a week with a different body might help shed some light on what's best for your own specific needs.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fuji Forum co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 8-16mm F2.8 +1 more
Guyps Contributing Member • Posts: 501

or just go for it.

Life is too short, buy it, see how you get on, if you don't use it/enjoy it, sell it on and move on to something else.

Guyps's gear list:Guyps's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Canon EF 50mm F1.8 STM XF 90mm +1 more
DogShot Contributing Member • Posts: 688

Hobbies provide us with a means to develop ourselves. Becoming engaged in an activity, and getting better at it are very healthy ways to improve wellbeing. It just sounds like you have hit a plateau with your development. Everyone does. Artists push through a plateau by giving themselves a project; for a photographer that could be shooting a new kind of subject, or a familiar subject in a new way. New gear can absolutely be a path forward in development, as it requires more learning and challenges you to get the most from that new equipment.

An X-T4 will open a bunch of new avenues for your photography by making new focal lengths and lower shutter speeds (IBIS) available. My guess is that it will reinvigorate your passion for using your x110f as well.

enigmatico Regular Member • Posts: 380

In my view, just buying a new camera won’t in itself re-ignite your photography passion. Try and think of a photography project that you’d like to do and invest time in. Your X100f might suffice, but if not, choose your next camera with that project in mind; the right model and lens for the job.

I’ve been through ups and downs with my photo hobby. It’s never an issue of what camera I own - it’s about the other things in life that take priority, mainly family or work commitments

Good luck with your dilemma

enigmatico's gear list:enigmatico's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T1 Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-H1 +7 more
Pocket Lint Senior Member • Posts: 2,127
Here’s a thought

We live in such a hollow, materialistic, consumerist society, thinking that a new toy will solve our boredoms.

I often compare photography itself to life.

In order to take your photography to the next level, you should try get out of your comfort zone. Take on a personal project you are passionate about. Get involved in something other than photography. 
If that’s too much to start, read up on some photographers, look though their photos and books, that usually gives me enough inspiration on its own.

Much regards

Pocket Lint's gear list:Pocket Lint's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-Pro3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 7,773

Burnout, boredom or just plain tired of taking the usual stuff, well buying new equipment might well enliven you for awhile, then again the mind can get very bored very quickly..  Heres a suggestion, rent a high end camera/lens combo, make a plan for the specific and walk around shoots (night, day, early morning, late evening)- Boredom/Burnout will go out the window, in fact after week you will cherish the easy & relaxed shooting you get with your existing camera..  Don't forget to Post some of the results from the exotic combo.. L

-- hide signature --

You can only photograph what you can see, Open Your Eyes..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +9 more
Tamed Monkey Regular Member • Posts: 391

It's not the camera's fault! 

What you're describing is the peaks, valleys, and plateaus of any creative endeavour.

It's all up to you -not the camera.

You can:

-teach yourself how to shoot how to shoot something entirely different that what you're used to. Every photographic style has it's own discipline(s), at least when you're learning them. And contrary to what some might think, you can shoot everything with a 35mm equiv. lens -if you do it right.

-teach yourself how to process your images differently. As above, there's a learning curve to processing in different styles. Getting good B&W images, for instance, requires a lot of good technique, and learning how to 'see' in B&W as you shoot.

-Put the camera down for a while. Maybe a long while. If you're not a pro that has deadlines, and assignments, where's the problem? I assume you got into photography as an enjoyable hobby; why force it?

And as a last resort

-get the wide angle adaptor for your X100F. Like I said, last resort. Spending money isn't going to make your images any better, it'll only make them different. And even then, only to a certain extent. A wide angle adaptor (I have one) gives you a 28mm equiv. field of view, and thus, more possibilities.

-- hide signature --

instagram: tamed_monkey

JoshuaR Regular Member • Posts: 434

I wouldn’t overthink it. You’ve been using a wide normal lens for two years. Maybe you want a different focal length. I’d buy a 35 f/1.4 and an X-E4. Not too expensive, and you’ll be surprised at how different your pictures can look with a longer lens. If you find yourself enjoying that, you can pick up other lenses. It’s totally reasonable to get bored of a single lens after a couple of years.

JoshuaR's gear list:JoshuaR's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 +1 more
montera2 Contributing Member • Posts: 580

You are crushed by the pandemic and it takes much more than a new camera to pull your self back to the level you used to be.

But you are not alone, the photography is not the most important thing as it's a hobby for you, there are more important things in your life to take care of.

Keep the camera, there is a new spring coming sooner or later and there you are, running after your camera to catch the moment. Mind the nappies:).

montera2's gear list:montera2's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro
CrashTestHuman Regular Member • Posts: 162

Instead of investing $2000+ in a whole camera system, maybe try playing with a different sort of setup?

From your description, it sounds like the learning process is really what appeals to you, and there are radically different ways to do photography.

You could try film, for example.  Full manual vintage cameras can be had for surprisingly reasonable prices.  You could go even more basic and get something super cheap like a Holga.  If you catch on with that, you could do some of your own developing as well.

CrashTestHuman's gear list:CrashTestHuman's gear list
Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,967

As others have alluded you need to find things that interest you enough to photograph them.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
GreatOceanSoftware
GreatOceanSoftware Contributing Member • Posts: 675

I can only add two comments to what’s already been said.

The first is I’ve been shooting for 45 years, and there’s been times when I’ve gone a year or longer without shooting. So I don’t think it’s unusual. Same goes for my other lifelong hobbies as well.

The second is that I do find some value in collecting gear. It may be as much as 70/30 for me (70% shooting/30% collecting gear) that keeps my interest going. I’m pretty sure there are a few on the forum that own most, if not all of the X system. But sometimes you don’t have to spend a lot to try new things. With the fixed lens camera you’re a bit more limited, of course. But used equipment, low cost manual lenses, creative filters, macro extension tubes, etc. are some examples. I’ve been recently thinking of searching for a solar filter to use on my 100-400 to shoot sunspots. I have a pair for my binoculars and it’s a lot of fun to use.

Anyway, good luck with your future purchases. Inspiration can come from unexpected directions.

-- hide signature --

Randy

GreatOceanSoftware's gear list:GreatOceanSoftware's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +7 more
LeicaEye
LeicaEye Veteran Member • Posts: 7,773

Since the start of the Covid era, I’ve concentrated on my garden, using different lenses I’ve not only taken some very interesting images I’ve learnt a lot about close up/macro work..

-- hide signature --

You can only photograph what you can see, Open Your Eyes..

LeicaEye's gear list:LeicaEye's gear list
Leica V-Lux 40 Leica D-Lux 7 Nikon D3100 Canon EOS 5DS Leica CL +9 more
rsn Contributing Member • Posts: 737
Most amateurs cycle on and off

Most amateurs cycle on and off in the hobby. I bought my first SLR in 1974 and have owned another 7 cameras since then, including the X100f you own. This is normal and not to sweat it.  I learn what I can learn in each "on" cycle and over time my knowledge base increases.  There may be a significant amount of time between on cycles and my knowledge might become a bit fuzzy but each time it comes back faster and I expand my photography horizons further and wiling to experiment and make more mistakes easier.

The 100f of course can be used for any time of photography, or just about anything, but it's raison d'etre, its purpose is street photography.  Its limitations are its greatest assets.

I have a suggestion for you. Since I have revealed the "dirty" secret of amateur photographers, cycling on and off, there is a big bonus to this type of behavior.  The quality of used gear in the market place is usually very high.

I am a Canon guy but when I bought the X100f I was so impressed with Fuji, its cameras and lenses, I went on a buying spree and purchased a used X T1 and assorted prime and zoom lenses. Everything I bought looked new out of the box,  thank you amateurs who don't really use their stuff!

When you describe what types of pics you enjoy, I'm here to tell you that the X T1, X T2, and X T3 will all do the job admirably.  If you don't buy the X T4 but instead go with one of the older models and purchase lenses used, you will literally save thousands.  And each of the cameras I have listed are capable of shooting award winning photos.

I have top notch Canon gear and lenses, I own the 5D mk4 and a number of L lens along with some decent third party lenses.  But I'm at a point in my photography life that I know what I shoot and I know the latest and greatest camera and gear won't necessarily get me better photos. So now I purchase much more used gear. My Canon 5D mk 2 was bought used, looked new out of the box, and much of the items that came with it were still shrink wrapped. One Fuji lens I got was a $1200 new, I bought it for $500. If you saw it you wouldn't know it was used.

rsn's gear list:rsn's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +11 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 13,433

Asking for free psychological advice on the Internet will probably result in you getting what you pay for.

A few comments. The X100f is a very limited camera. It is a single focal length lens. The focal length usually picked for fixed lens cameras is equivalent to a 35 mm on a FF camera which this one is. That lens is a compromise. It is useful across a wide variety of subject matter but like any jack of all trades - not great at any one genre. It is the utility infielder of the baseball world. Someone that can come in a play all the positions but you don't win the World Series with a team full of utility infielders.

Will a different camera revitalize your photography or is it just photography you are bored with and can do without. Only you can answer that question. I can't as no one else here can. However, a ILC camera will open a lot of doors that a fixed lens camera could not. But at the end of the day - it gets down to you and your interest and passions. If you are depending on a new XT4 and a couple lenses to turn your life around - that a bit much to ask. On the other hand if you look to a new camera to give you options to explore that a fixed lens camera limited you from exploring - then it might be worth the investment.

In reality it could very well be you have outgrown a fixed focal length camera and feel stifled. It could be that the x100f is limiting growth in your creative abilities - only you can answer that. Each focal length will give you a different perspective on the world.

Some people here have been with photography for 50 or more years. Some people try in and drop it. I don't take as many images as I used to but I am always looking around for potential shots for my camera to return to. So while I don't carry my camera all that often I am always looking for creative photographic opportunities.

You could rent an XT4 and basic 18-55 kit for awhile and see if any magic returns. It's all up to you as you have asked questions only you can answer.

-- hide signature --

"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +15 more
OP selrond New Member • Posts: 2

Wow, I didn't expect so many interesting responses.

Thank you for taking your time to respond, appreciate it!

As I see it (considering your inputs as well), I might have got a bit bored by shooting exclusively through one 23mm FL. I'm well aware about GAS in general, I'd realized many times that new shiny stuff lasts only a while.

I realize I might have given this thread too harsh of a title - I don't think I'm burnt out - I still love to take my x100f out when there's some interesting place I'm going, and still love getting surprised by much better output than what I saw on that tiny LCD while reviewing the shot after the fact. It's just that I wish these moments would appear much more frequently. I guess such is life though.

However, you gave me a lot of intriguing ideas to think about (the idea of photography projects in new to me) so thank for that!

Regarding renting as couple of you suggested - where I live (Slovakia) - there are not many opportunities to rent fuji stuff, but I'll have one more look.

Les Lammers
Les Lammers Veteran Member • Posts: 4,207

selrond wrote:

It was an investment.

Thank you for any help

Another camera won't fix your state of mind, take a break and see if things change.

Les Lammers's gear list:Les Lammers's gear list
Ricoh GR Fujifilm X100V Ricoh GR IIIx Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R +6 more
Brian Homer
Brian Homer Contributing Member • Posts: 741

Different kit is rarely the answer and having a choice of FLs is not necessarily the answer. I think everyone goes through periods of wondering why I certainly have. Having a purpose can help so way back when I was doing more pro work I dropped casual photography for instance. Rather than thinking about kit why not set yourself some projects (ideally fun and interesting). They could be anything that you find interesting - other hobbies, neighbourhood, etc and using the camera you already have create a series of images that tell a story. The native lens on your F is 35mm equivalent and that has been used for many documentary and art images over the years. And don't forget in .jpg only you have the digital zoom which works well enough for your immediate purposes and gives you 50 and 70mm equivalents to try out. 35, 50 and 70 are plenty to cover a project from wider environmental shots to closer portrait images.

-- hide signature --

Brian Homer

Brian Homer's gear list:Brian Homer's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X100F Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads