Looks like GT-2 can deliver a full APSC 60 mm and more!

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
ViMa
ViMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,851
Re: cautiously optimistic

Headforthehills wrote:

I've got an expected ship of 29th October for the GT-2 , but not a date for the GA-2

Ricoh EU says end of November for the GT-2, so that's lucky for you. Unfortunately their GA-2 is out of stock and one can't even order it.

I'm probably getting it after all given i have 100 euros off the Ricoh webstore and they'll run out at some point. It'd be nice if they change the automatic crop thing at some point but oh well.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx
OP rondom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,522
don't miss it!

Headforthehills wrote:

I've got an expected ship of 29th October for the GT-2 , but not a date for the GA-2

here is your opportunity to get one!

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/37826-Compatible-Teleconversion-Automatic-Stabilization/dp/B09G11XL7K

Headforthehills Forum Member • Posts: 97
Re: don't miss it!

rondom wrote:

Headforthehills wrote:

here is your opportunity to get one!

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/37826-Compatible-Teleconversion-Automatic-Stabilization/dp/B09G11XL7K

Good to know the adapter is actually shipping in Japan; it's probably just as easy to make one as it is  a thousand, so it should not be long before a batch makes it's way to Europe.

A GA-2 arrived at my door today ; Amazon uk have 4 more in stock as of now.

Now just waiting for the GT-2

So, with the GA-2 attached to the GR-IIIx:

If I push the cam inside the GA-2 fully down, simulating the GT-2, the camera indicates 50mm Tele and automatically crops in, as has already been reported.

If I screw in the GW-4 , the camera indicates Wide with no cropping applied. This can also be simulated by partially pushing the cam inside the GA-2.

Headforthehills wrote:

So, with the GA-2 attached to the GR-IIIx:

If I push the cam inside the GA-2 fully down, simulating the GT-2, the camera indicates 50mm Tele and automatically crops in, as has already been reported.

If I screw in the GW-4 , the camera indicates Wide with no cropping applied. This can also be simulated by partially pushing the cam inside the GA-2.

Thanks for the update

guck New Member • Posts: 15
Re: Looks like GT-2 can deliver a full APSC 60 mm and more!
 guck's gear list:guck's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Fujifilm X-H1
ViMa
ViMa Senior Member • Posts: 1,851

guck wrote:

Just found.
Translation with google helps

https://dc-watch-impress-co-jp.translate.goog/docs/column/akagi/1363842.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=de&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=nui,op

Thanks for this. The firm-up got to me, but my general understanding is it's good enough despite the auto crop, and hopefully at some point soon, Ricoh will change it and let us use the 60mm option if we wish to, despite possible issues.

I'm waiting for mine. Should be sent at the end of the month.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Vittorio

ViMa's gear list:ViMa's gear list
Ricoh GR III Ricoh GR IIIx

guck wrote:

Just found.

https://dc-watch-impress-co-jp.translate.goog/docs/column/akagi/1363842.html?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=de&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=nui,op

thanks for the link, the first full size samples, as far as I know.

the question about the "full frame" still is unanswered in the article. interesting as the reviewer seems curious about it, but didn't bother to try a simple hack to answer the question himself :

if you install the GT-2 in the normal angle of view of GR IIIx, the angle of view will be equivalent to 60mm in the 35mm format. I think this is a very interesting angle of view. It would be nice to be able to set the firmware so that it does not crop when the GT-2 is installed. Is it rejected because the change in the angle of view is so small that it is useless?

digital vs glass surely makes a difference. (see below- I upscaled 40mm to match the magnification with glass):

Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 46,712

rondom wrote:

guck wrote:

Just found.

thanks for the link, the first full size samples, as far as I know.

the question about the "full frame" still is unanswered in the article. interesting as the reviewer seems curious about it, but didn't bother to try a simple hack to answer the question himself :

if you install the GT-2 in the normal angle of view of GR IIIx, the angle of view will be equivalent to 60mm in the 35mm format. I think this is a very interesting angle of view. It would be nice to be able to set the firmware so that it does not crop when the GT-2 is installed. Is it rejected because the change in the angle of view is so small that it is useless?

But that's the reason. He's reviewing a product as is. He's not going to start mocking around with the camera (imagine if all reviews did that) to do something Ricoh hasn't specced.  I guess some very few reviewers might but I can see why he didn't.

I am pretty sure Ricoh must have had good reasons not to do it.

digital vs glass surely makes a difference. (see below- I upscaled 40mm to match the magnification with glass):

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - Apparently Selwyn Duke and not George Orwell

please say it one more time...10 is a great round number

Raist3d wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

If Ricoh is not allowing 60mm I am sure their engineers have a good reason for that choice and it's not done on a whim

that doesn't strike me as a good idea since they who know better have decided against it.

it seems straightforward there's an image quality issue. Why would Ricoh who designed the camera not go with 60mm if they could?

...they have some very good reasons not to allow it.

why would Ricoh not do it? They aren’t stupid That’s why I am ruling it out

Ricoh knows better and they thought it wasn’t worth doing

I am questioning the notion or implication that somehow we are cleverer than Ricoh and they didn't have good reasons not to do this officially.

I am only staying what I said- Ricoh knows better in terms of why they didn't do it and they just have a good reason.

Re: please say it one more time...10 is a great round number

rondom wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

If Ricoh is not allowing 60mm I am sure their engineers have a good reason for that choice and it's not done on a whim

that doesn't strike me as a good idea since they who know better have decided against it.

it seems straightforward there's an image quality issue. Why would Ricoh who designed the camera not go with 60mm if they could?

I am questioning the notion or implication that somehow we are cleverer than Ricoh and they didn't have good reasons not to do this officially.

I am only staying what I said- Ricoh knows better in terms of why they didn't do it and they just have a good reason.

If it cannot support 3:2 and 60mm, does the image circle cover 1:1 or 2:1 ?

I did not see any geometric corrections being applied when I was tinkering with the adapter.

Re: please say it one more time...10 is a great round number

Headforthehills wrote:

rondom wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

I did not see any geometric corrections being applied when I was tinkering with the adapter.

will you please stop being curious

Previous ricoh add on lenses are not optically "corrected" in one way or another in the camera. i am expecting the same with the gt-2. (the switches and sensors are there for proper exif data, and in case of gt-2 to switch to crop mode)

1:1 would help with vignetting or softer corners, we really need to see the actual samples.

and until then we really need to shut up because Ricoh must have had good reasons not to do it.

By the way..

Headforthehills wrote:

rondom wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

May ask where  you had the chance to try the gt-2?

A good idea

Raist3d wrote:

rondom wrote:

What do you think about the label WIDE appearing for a fraction of a second???

Could be a simple firmware glitch where because of the ways the contacts are put, it thought it had the WIDE teleconverter in. It's probably the same firmware for GRIII and GRIIIx with a couple of "IF GRIIIX do this" kind of differences.

That was the most interesting surprise in that video that we all missed when viewing it in real time. I dropped the speed to x.25 to catch that screenshot.

Yes. It doesn't mean you can use the wide teleconverter. As an engineer way back in time said in my college days on a labeled button on the Amiga 3000 back then "Just because the buttons says free sex and beer doesn't mean you'll get it when you press it."

I wouldn't think much of it.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65630198

Re: By the way..

rondom wrote:

Headforthehills wrote:

rondom wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

May ask where you had the chance to try the gt-2?

Still waiting for the GT-2

All I've been able to do is experiment with the cam operated switch inside the GA-2 - this allows the camera to distinguish between the GT-2 and GW-4 or neither.

Oh, hey now...

you were commenting on the reviewer.  :-). I was just providing for why he may not have reviewed it. :-).

But alright.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - Apparently Selwyn Duke and not George Orwell

sex, beer, firmware glitches etc

Raist3d wrote:

you were commenting on the reviewer. :-). I was just providing for why he may not have reviewed it. :-).

...and PLUS sharing your tirelessly repeated opinion on why ricoh is not including the 60mm FOV.

as of the reviewer: I didn't suggest that checking the uncropped performance had to be part of the review routine. the reviewer sounded puzzled and curious and made a special note of it in his write up. he had both the camera and the lens at his hands. it was easy enough for him to perform a quick unintrusive test to end his curiosity, that's it.

By the way, in case you missed it, enjoy the newly discovered WIDE angle option which was also the target of your cynical commentary (sex, beer, firmware glitches, etc) when i first brought it up on this very thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65545875

Re: sex, beer, firmware glitches etc

rondom wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

you were commenting on the reviewer. :-). I was just providing for why he may not have reviewed it. :-).

...and PLUS sharing your tirelessly repeated opinion on why ricoh is not including the 60mm FOV.

Of course, that was part of the comment on you on the reviewer.

as of the reviewer: I didn't suggest that checking the uncropped performance had to be part of the review routine. the reviewer sounded puzzled and curious and made a special note of it in his write up. he had both the camera and the lens at his hands. it was easy enough for him to perform a quick unintrusive test to end his curiosity, that's it.

By the way, in case you missed it, enjoy the newly discovered WIDE angle option which was also the target of your cynical commentary (sex, beer, firmware glitches, etc) when i first brought it up on this very thread:

I already provided a pretty sound theory why that happens.  It's not because Ricoh is hiding something or anything special.

-- hide signature --

Re: sex, beer, firmware glitches etc

Raist3d wrote:

rondom wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

Of course, that was part of the comment on you on the reviewer.

I already provided a pretty sound theory why that happens. It's not because Ricoh is hiding something or anything special.

i am not questioning Ricoh's motives. I don't know why they are not presenting GW-4 as a valid accessory. I don't care. Could be a marketing decision. who cares?

Just visit Ned's thread and see the full size samples for yourself. (link above )

your theory was simply wrong. (firmware glitch) (link above )

why is it that you cannot accept that you were wrong?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads