Win11 adaptation poll

Started 7 months ago | Polls
Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,742
Re: Win11 adaptation poll

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

I hope MS changes there mind about older hardware and TPM. Otherwise it could be a long time for me.

For me, and I suspect for others, the bigger issue of the two isn't TPM, but the CPU generation. We have two laptops with TPM but using 6th gen CPUs that don't technically qualify.

It's not a real problem, as we have other, supported PCs that are happily running 11, but I'd prefer all our PCs be on 11 for user convenience.

I do think that this requirement will be relaxed, perhaps with the next annual update, as one of the 6th gen laptops is running 11 as a Dev Channel machine. It's slow, but no slower than it was with Windows 10.

Exactly, who wants to deal with different interfaces.   I like the consistency of 11 yet I'm not aware of any reason not to support older CPUs except greed.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +12 more
jboyer
jboyer Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Re: I will wait at least 1 year

LOL... autocorrect at work... 😂

-- hide signature --
 jboyer's gear list:jboyer's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
jboyer
jboyer Senior Member • Posts: 1,310

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

I hope MS changes there mind about older hardware and TPM. Otherwise it could be a long time for me.

For me, and I suspect for others, the bigger issue of the two isn't TPM, but the CPU generation. We have two laptops with TPM but using 6th gen CPUs that don't technically qualify.

It's not a real problem, as we have other, supported PCs that are happily running 11, but I'd prefer all our PCs be on 11 for user convenience.

I do think that this requirement will be relaxed, perhaps with the next annual update, as one of the 6th gen laptops is running 11 as a Dev Channel machine. It's slow, but no slower than it was with Windows 10.

Exactly, who wants to deal with different interfaces. I like the consistency of 11 yet I'm not aware of any reason not to support older CPUs except greed.

Morris

11 adds substantial code for security. This code is CPU hungry. Lesser or older ones may render 11 slower than 10.

Not a welcome outcome for an upgrade.

Jerome Boyer
http://jeromelouiseboyer.zenfolio.com/

jboyer's gear list:jboyer's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 12,508

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Exactly, who wants to deal with different interfaces. I like the consistency of 11 yet I'm not aware of any reason not to support older CPUs except greed.

On earlier CPUs there can be a variable and potentially significant CPU performance hit if Memory Integrity is enabled. My 6th gen performance comment is with it disabled. I can see some people screaming with intense 11-rage if they switch MI on not knowing the possible side effects.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-gaming-benchmarks-performance-vbs-hvci-security

I'd like to see similar tests on pre-7th gen CPUs; anyone found such?

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
XiaoDeer Regular Member • Posts: 136

Since only one of the 5 Windows systems in our house is Win 11 ready, I won't be upgrading any of them anytime soon.

Yes, I'm aware there are workarounds for the TPM 2.0 requirement. Sadly, the CPU's are not supported although they are plenty fast enough for the current applications.

Morris0

jboyer wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Morris

11 adds substantial code for security. This code is CPU hungry. Lesser or older ones may render 11 slower than 10.

Not a welcome outcome for an upgrade.

Jerome Boyer
http://jeromelouiseboyer.zenfolio.com/

You mean they are finally bounds testing?

I'm shore there is more than just that...

Morris

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +12 more
Morris0

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

On earlier CPUs there can be a variable and potentially significant CPU performance hit if Memory Integrity is enabled. My 6th gen performance comment is with it disabled. I can see some people screaming with intense 11-rage if they switch MI on not knowing the possible side effects.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-11-gaming-benchmarks-performance-vbs-hvci-security

While we can measure these differences, in reality and other than gaming, it is unusual to perceive them

Morris

Austinian

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

While we can measure these differences, in reality and other than gaming, it is unusual to perceive them

That also applies to some recent CPU generations, but users still pay attention to benchmarks. I'd like to see numbers from a wide variety of applications; this early document suggests that we might see quite large differences in some cases:

http://borec.ch/the-potential-performance-impact-of-device-guard-hvci/

To quote one of my favorite old TV shows, "We want...information."

Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 2,331

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

Austinian wrote:

Morris0 wrote:

That also applies to some recent CPU generations, but users still pay attention to benchmarks. I'd like to see numbers from a wide variety of applications; this early document suggests that we might see quite large differences in some cases:

I don't use benchmarks as a "benchmark" for actual usability.  It's a synthetic usage. If we only went by benchmarks for performance, You would not get an accurate account of usability.  For example, The M1 benchmarks above intel's core i7.  However in the real world once you throw a video encoding project at both, the i7 dominates the M1 in speed.  Generations old i7 as well.  So benchmarking, give no indicators on real world performance.

-- hide signature --

Fronterra Photography Tours
One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Austinian

The Point and Shoot Pro wrote:

Austinian wrote:

I don't use benchmarks as a "benchmark" for actual usability. It's a synthetic usage. If we only went by benchmarks for performance, You would not get an accurate account of usability. For example, The M1 benchmarks above intel's core i7. However in the real world once you throw a video encoding project at both, the i7 dominates the M1 in speed. Generations old i7 as well. So benchmarking, give no indicators on real world performance.

You appear to be thinking entirely of benchmarks as 'synthetic' benchmarks. Benchmarking an actual application tells you a lot about performance on that application.

If PC 'A' processes a particular raw file with PhotoLab 4 in, say, 15 seconds:

And PC 'B' processes the same file with the same PhotoLab 4 settings in 20 seconds, that gives me useful info about their relative PhotoLab processing speed.

That method extended over multiple applications is IMO a reasonable indicator of overall performance.

"I'd like to see numbers from a wide variety of applications".

The Point and Shoot Pro

Austinian wrote:

The Point and Shoot Pro wrote:

Austinian wrote:

I don't use benchmarks as a "benchmark" for actual usability. It's a synthetic usage. If we only went by benchmarks for performance, You would not get an accurate account of usability. For example, The M1 benchmarks above intel's core i7. However in the real world once you throw a video encoding project at both, the i7 dominates the M1 in speed. Generations old i7 as well. So benchmarking, give no indicators on real world performance.

You appear to be thinking entirely of benchmarks as 'synthetic' benchmarks. Benchmarking an actual application tells you a lot about performance on that application.

If PC 'A' processes a particular raw file with PhotoLab 4 in, say, 15 seconds:

And PC 'B' processes the same file with the same PhotoLab 4 settings in 20 seconds, that gives me useful info about their relative PhotoLab processing speed.

That method extended over multiple applications is IMO a reasonable indicator of overall performance.

"I'd like to see numbers from a wide variety of applications".

Yes.  I am talking about synthetic benchmarks.  That is what most reviews use.  Not real world program usage. Hence the reason I mentioned the intel vs. M1.  Independant reviews using the systems for video production work have proven that intel based systems are much much faster than the M1.  Meanwhile, the M1 will "benchmark" faster on synthetic benchmarking programs, which are meaningless.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
stateit
stateit Senior Member • Posts: 1,610

Sorry to divert the thread from it's current course.

My main adaptation thought:

I've used Win 11 for a couple of weeks now.

I logged on to my partner's PC in her work shed yesterday and thought: "Blimey, this is like using my mother's/in-laws' Win 8 PC when Win 10 came out".

I'm totally happy with it.

My above thoughts are all down to UI. Performance I will work out, although my initial thoughts are 'better'.

-- hide signature --
Mystery member Forum Pro • Posts: 11,087

ms18 wrote:

For those who installed your opinions are welcome in comments.

Personally I'm planning to install it in a month or when windows update recommend me in Windows update.

Yes, I also waited (18 days) until Update said that Win11 was available...

(Dell 5000 G5, 3 months old with installation of Win10 and various applications).

Download and installation took less than an hour and everything was fine. X-Box was loaded at startup, but I soon relegated that to a taskbar shortcut, some system controls are more sprinkled around than before, some apps seem to start more quickly, etc. etc.

I'll be doing the same upgrade for another Dell (XPS 8940), but a couple of non-compliant computers will stay at Win10. They'll be 6 and 8 years old by 2025 and due for honourable retirement.

Overall, "Much ado about nothing".

DonA2
DonA2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715

WryCuda wrote:

ms18 wrote:

Personally I'm planning to install it in a month or when windows update recommend me in Windows update.

(Dell 5000 G5, 3 months old with installation of Win10 and various applications).

Download and installation took less than an hour and everything was fine. X-Box was loaded at startup, but I soon relegated that to a taskbar shortcut, some system controls are more sprinkled around than before, some apps seem to start more quickly, etc. etc.

I'll be doing the same upgrade for another Dell (XPS 8940), but a couple of non-compliant computers will stay at Win10. They'll be 6 and 8 years old by 2025 and due for honourable retirement.

Overall, "Much ado about nothing".

Ditto on all this ado.  I have a new desktop and a new laptop.  When MS said both were good to go I did the laptop but will hold off on the desktop for a month so so.  All is well with the W11 laptop and it seems a touch quicker overall.  Otherwise it takes a while to get the Ui sorted to my liking but no problems.  If more secure that 's a bonus.

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS +2 more
Rodolfo Contributing Member • Posts: 823

I'm waiting til I'm prompted on my Surface tablets, or if/when I get a new one. Alas, my NUC remains, with most photo stuff, on Windows 7.

Rodolfo's gear list:Rodolfo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Fujifilm X10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 LG V30
ppage
ppage Senior Member • Posts: 2,445

bananahead wrote:

Oh look, another Windows 11 thread. How exciting.

You're point is...?

The Point and Shoot Pro

Rodolfo wrote:

I'm waiting til I'm prompted on my Surface tablets, or if/when I get a new one. Alas, my NUC remains, with most photo stuff, on Windows 7.

What models surfaii do you have?  If they are in the upgrade cycle, the prompt is in software updates in windows 10 and will not tell you to upgrade.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

grcolts Veteran Member • Posts: 3,715

I took the plunge yesterday to Windows 11...it took about 45 minutes or so to complete the installation and all went well. So far, I like the new look of Windows 11.  Some people have said things run slower but I have noticed better performance with it.  Took a cursory look at Widgets and saw nothing there to really interest me. My Mac had Widgets as well and I used them very little.

bananahead Contributing Member • Posts: 534

ppage wrote:

bananahead wrote:

Oh look, another Windows 11 thread. How exciting.

You're point is...?

Oh sorry, was it difficult?

I am excited that there is another Windows 11 thread.

bananahead's gear list:bananahead's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM
Mystery member Forum Pro • Posts: 11,087

WryCuda wrote:

ms18 wrote:

I just updated the Dell XPS 8940 without any issues. This time, X-Box didn't load automatically at start-up, possibly because the XPS isn't designated as a "Games" computer, whereas the Dell G5 is billed as such, although it's very similar in specification to the XPS.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads