Win11 adaptation poll

Started 7 months ago | Polls
ms18
OP ms18 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,288
My opinion

Eric Carlson wrote:

Needs option: I would need to buy new hardware to upgrade, and my existing hardware is fine; therefore, I'm not upgrading any time soon. (On my many Windows 10 computers)

I would say you don't have to put money just because you can't install new OS.

Just when you feel you need hardware upgrade and performance boost you can get them and install win11 at that time.

You can also consider doing that when Microsoft end support for Windows 10. That's not any time soon!

My notebook is fully capable of Win11 and i also see this

I'm not going to install it using upgrade assistance or other methods. Will install when i receive in windows update. I also use my notebook for things like Remote desktop with custom setups (not as host though) so i need to hear from my co workers also how windows 11 for them.

No rush for me. But i'm glad it's working for many and Microsoft did good job. But still i'm not in rush because OS update would not increase my productivity. Although I learnt after creating this thread Win11 is great i don't want to get minor chances. Because if some thing goes wrong then my productivity will fail.

ms18's gear list:ms18's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 2,354
Re: Win11 adaptation poll

As I mentioned numerous times, I think MS will give the option of older hardware to upgrade to 11 with the disclaimer "some security features may not work" for the TPM 2.0 requirement. Many people have installed it on older hardware and it runs better than 10.  They did that with xp/7/8/10 as well.  I remember when 10 released, people were complaining that their systems could not work on it.  Low and behold, a few months later, I had it running on my 2007 acer aspire 7720.  I still get all the updates on that too.

-- hide signature --

Fronterra Photography Tours
One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,367

The point is that the security features aren't just to protect you but to protect the world from you.  Everyday armies of zombie machines are attacking servers.

Letting machines upgrade without the security options just pushes the problem down the line.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
The Point and Shoot Pro

NickZ2016 wrote:

The point is that the security features aren't just to protect you but to protect the world from you. Everyday armies of zombie machines are attacking servers.

Letting machines upgrade without the security options just pushes the problem down the line.

Can't have it both ways.  Quit whining about not being able to upgrade to 11,  or update without the tpm features.  Simple.  I have no issue with buying my son and wife new machines to use 11.  It's not a big deal.  They can still use their current system for another 5 years,  or more.  Holy,  people complain about EVERYTHING.  My system can't upgrade to 11.  Well, ok,  unlike apple (for example) Microsoft gives you years of service using their old OS with full support.  Keep using your system as is.  And...woah there on the Zombie machines.  that's a new one.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 12,523

The Point and Shoot Pro wrote:

And...woah there on the Zombie machines. that's a new one.

Not new at all; large numbers of 'zombie' PCs controlled by Bad People have been used to make mass attacks on websites, etc. for a long time.

My thought is that upgrading unsupported PCs to 11 is probably unwise -unless- Microsoft does provide them with ongoing security updates. That I do not know, but we should be finding out very soon.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
The Point and Shoot Pro

Austinian wrote:

And...woah there on the Zombie machines. that's a new one.

Not new at all; large numbers of 'zombie' PCs controlled by Bad People have been used to make mass attacks on websites, etc. for a long time.

My thought is that upgrading unsupported PCs to 11 is probably unwise -unless- Microsoft does provide them with ongoing security updates. That I do not know, but we should be finding out very soon.

Agreed.  Do NOT upgrade an older device to 11 unless Microsoft is officially supporting it. I have said that all along. I think, as mentioned earlier, that MS will lower the threshold for older devices, and work around the TPM issue for the most part.  The system will still be as secure as 10.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,365

Quit whining about not being able to upgrade to 11, or update without the tpm features. Simple. I have no issue with buying my son and wife new machines to use 11. It's not a big deal.

Not everyone has the resources to buy new machines at the drop of a hat.   And forcing everyone to do so has an environmental impact as well, particularly at the scale of the Windows ecosystem.

Bouldergramp
Bouldergramp Contributing Member • Posts: 576

If someone is capable of  installing Windows 11 on an unsupported computer they are certainly capable of reinstalling Windows 10 if necessary.

-- hide signature --

Bouldergramp, USA

Bouldergramp's gear list:Bouldergramp's gear list
Samsung EX2F Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 +3 more
jboyer
jboyer Senior Member • Posts: 1,310
Re: I will wait at least 1 year

NickZ2016 wrote:

jboyer wrote:

The fact of matter is that I am looking to upgrade my i7-7700 (does not pass mustard in W11...) to Alder Lake. But it means REALLY new components. I may save the memory and the Graphics Card (NVIDIA 1050), but everything else, including the boa is new.

Boa?

You might save your case and PSU. But in 2022 I'd be leaning towards a new GPU . Hopefully we can find them next year. Faster memory. What speed does your 7700 support? The Alderlake DDR4 systems are likely to support 3600 without overclocking the memory. The DDR5 are I think 4800.

My guess is the i5 aka 12600k will be the sweet price for value/performance but once you buy a high end MB,case, PSU and memory the added 100 or 150 for a 12700K might seem small in the overall budget.

Thanks. Good points.

-- hide signature --
 jboyer's gear list:jboyer's gear list
Canon EOS M100 Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
The Point and Shoot Pro

Sean Nelson wrote:

Quit whining about not being able to upgrade to 11, or update without the tpm features. Simple. I have no issue with buying my son and wife new machines to use 11. It's not a big deal.

Not everyone has the resources to buy new machines at the drop of a hat. And forcing everyone to do so has an environmental impact as well, particularly at the scale of the Windows ecosystem.

Use your system for another 5 or more years without issue then.  No one is forcing you to upgrade.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Scratchie New Member • Posts: 16

I upgraded to windows 11 couple of days ago.
I dont' see any improvements in speed. Pretty much the same. 
Unfortunately Lightroom (ver. 10) has become very slow. Anyone experienced this as well?

PC:
i7 8086K (4.7 Ghz)
RTX 3080
64 Gb Ram

Scratchie's gear list:Scratchie's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM +3 more
Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 14,701

Sean Nelson wrote:

Not everyone has the resources to buy new machines at the drop of a hat. And forcing everyone to do so has an environmental impact as well, particularly at the scale of the Windows ecosystem.

Use your system for another 5 or more years without issue then. No one is forcing you to upgrade.

This is for "The Point and Shoot Pro" :  I have read several of your posts for which most are somewhat like you may be applying for a "Sub Moderator" position.

Perhaps it would be nice if we just allow each person have his/her comments without further judgement on what they have to post.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

The Point and Shoot Pro

Vernon D Rainwater wrote:

Sean Nelson wrote:

Use your system for another 5 or more years without issue then. No one is forcing you to upgrade.

This is for "The Point and Shoot Pro" : I have read several of your posts for which most are somewhat like you may be applying for a "Sub Moderator" position.

Perhaps it would be nice if we just allow each person have his/her comments without further judgement on what they have to post.

Not at all.  I just find it funny that people complain regarding having to purchase new computers to run 11.  Well, they have 5 plus years to do so.  Put 100 dollars a year away and when that time comes, you can buy a new system to run 11 when 10 is no longer supported.  I am allowed to have my say as well.  PC related of course.  The the other platform talk down the hall!

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Eric Carlson
Eric Carlson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,039
Re: My opinion

ms18 wrote:

Eric Carlson wrote:

Needs option: I would need to buy new hardware to upgrade, and my existing hardware is fine; therefore, I'm not upgrading any time soon. (On my many Windows 10 computers)

I would say you don't have to put money just because you can't install new OS.

Just when you feel you need hardware upgrade and performance boost you can get them and install win11 at that time.

You can also consider doing that when Microsoft end support for Windows 10. That's not any time soon!

I agree. I have no need for new hardware at this time, and Windows 10 is great, so I can wait at least a few years to upgrade to Windows 11, with some new hardware.

Same with the rest of my family's computers: we all have reasonably good computers running fine on Windows 10.

If Microsoft ever decides to support our existing hardware, then I/we would probably update sooner.

-- hide signature --
 Eric Carlson's gear list:Eric Carlson's gear list
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
Eric Carlson

GodSpeaks wrote:

... or maybe longer.

The first release of anything from MS is usually very buggy, with many things still a work in progress. There is also the issue of many changes that may not be popular with the installed base. It will take MS 1 if not 2 or 3 major updates to fix the issues and respond to user discontent. After the 3rd update, Win11 may be usable.

I waited over 2 years to upgrade to 10 (from 7). Never used Vista or Win8/8.1.

Agreed. I also never used Vista or Win 8/8.1. Windows 7 was good, Windows 10 is good now. We might need to wait for Windows 12, or lease several updates to Windows 11.

-- hide signature --
Olympus C-2100 UZ Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-SZ7 Fujifilm XP80 Canon EOS 500D +1 more
Eric Carlson

jboyer wrote:

... pass mustard ...

LOL. Did you write "pass mustard" on purpose, to be funny, instead of "pass muster"? If so, that is really funny.

-- hide signature --
CBR1100XX Senior Member • Posts: 1,313

Eric Carlson wrote:

GodSpeaks wrote:

... or maybe longer.

The first release of anything from MS is usually very buggy, with many things still a work in progress. There is also the issue of many changes that may not be popular with the installed base. It will take MS 1 if not 2 or 3 major updates to fix the issues and respond to user discontent. After the 3rd update, Win11 may be usable.

I waited over 2 years to upgrade to 10 (from 7). Never used Vista or Win8/8.1.

Agreed. I also never used Vista or Win 8/8.1. Windows 7 was good, Windows 10 is good now. We might need to wait for Windows 12, or lease several updates to Windows 11.

11 is more like Windows 7 or 10 AKA just an evolution of the last one VS a big change.  Even the UI which was the big issue with 8 with its' removing of the start bar and metro interface is mostly tweaks.  A few things will take getting used to but the overall way you interact with it are very similar to 10.  The performance issues that are cropping up are going to be worked out both on Microsoft/app developers ends within the next few months except for a few examples as is always the case so it should be good to go.

But with so many unable to update Windows 10 likely isn't even going anywhere so I wouldn't worry.  Some of the big features are even being backported.  Microsoft is saying they might not have the same performance but that's one of those things we'll just need to wait and see about.

The Point and Shoot Pro

As mentioned earlier,  I think MS will support older hardware after being out for a couple of months.  My wife's dell has TPM 2.0 for safety but it's not on the update list.  It can physically run all security of 11 but they (microsoft) have chosen to leave it out for now.

I think they are doing a gradual roll out, like they do every time.  No need to pancake yet.

-- hide signature --

One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,890

I've been running since the day the insider program allowed access yet MS will not let me run on my Laptop or VMs that are on hardware that they want there partners or them selves a crack at replacing when it works great.

There is nothing compelling in Windows 11 for me at this time so I'll sit back and let others have the pleasure of discovering the issues.  Eventually I'll upgrade my compatible hardware.

I hope MS changes there mind about older hardware and TPM.  Otherwise it could be a long time for me.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR XF 90mm Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +12 more
Austinian
MOD Austinian Forum Pro • Posts: 12,523

Morris0 wrote:

I hope MS changes there mind about older hardware and TPM. Otherwise it could be a long time for me.

For me, and I suspect for others, the bigger issue of the two isn't TPM, but the CPU generation. We have two laptops with TPM but using 6th gen CPUs that don't technically qualify.

It's not a real problem, as we have other, supported PCs that are happily running 11, but I'd prefer all our PCs be on 11 for user convenience.

I do think that this requirement will be relaxed, perhaps with the next annual update, as one of the 6th gen laptops is running 11 as a Dev Channel machine. It's slow, but no slower than it was with Windows 10.

Austinian's gear list:Austinian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7R IV Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads