off-camera lighting

Started 3 months ago | Photos
math guy
math guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,827
off-camera lighting

I have very little experience with off-camera flash, so I've decided to try to learn how to use it effectively for better formal portraits. As suggested on the Strobist blog, I've started off with a flash (Godox TT350S which I already had), a radio trigger (Godox XProS), an umbrella (Impact 45" convertible), and a light stand (Flashpoint 9.5 foot).

I spent about an hour tonight playing around with the kit. My usual model (my 3-year-old son) had fallen asleep already, so I was stuck modeling for myself. Basically all I did was try out different positions, different power settings, and different zoom settings, all using the simple shoot-through method.

Here are six photos that I thought turned out pretty good for my first attempt. I hope eventually I'll learn enough that I can look back on these and laugh. But for now I'm pleased with them because they are MUCH better than the typical flat light that I've always gotten from simply bouncing the flash mounted to the camera. I'm posting them here in case anyone else is considering this type of thing. If you're on the fence about it, do it . After just an hour or so, I can tell this will definitely be worth the money I spent. There's a lot to learn, but it seems like a big part of it will be experimenting with different things, which I think will be fun.

One thing I learned is that for me, because of my balding head, it worked better with the flash just a little above eye level rather than up higher where it would reflect more off of my head. I think I like the fourth one the best.

Anyway, apologies for the lack of a better model.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~ Albert Einstein
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183511745@N03/

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +5 more
idsurfer Contributing Member • Posts: 605
Re: off-camera lighting

Nice job! Now grab a cheap reflector to raise the shadows on the opposite side of the flash.

Shooting with OCF is super fun!

idsurfer's gear list:idsurfer's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
math guy
OP math guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,827

idsurfer wrote:

Nice job! Now grab a cheap reflector to raise the shadows on the opposite side of the flash.

Thanks, Cory. I have a small hand-held collapsible reflector that I got years ago for some outdoor portraits. But without an assistant to hold it, I need to find a way to mount it on a second light stand or tripod. I think they make clips for that.

A friend who is a professional photographer suggested I look into v-flats . I had never heard of them before, but among other uses they offer a pretty simple way to add in some fill light. But they are also pretty big, and I don't have a studio to put everything in.

Shooting with OCF is super fun!

Yep - I can already tell I'm going to enjoy it. It's a completely different type of photography than what I've done for years. It's fun to learn something new.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~ Albert Einstein
https://www.flickr.com/photos/183511745@N03/

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 20mm F2.8 Sigma 30mm F1.4 (E/EF-M mounts) Sigma 16mm F1.4 DC DN (E/EF-M mounts) +5 more
theworstphotographerontheinternet Contributing Member • Posts: 564

It's great to try new things with your camera, isn't it? I think I agree with you about the fourth one being the best - the shadows seem better controlled here. I keep meaning to practice using the flash, maybe this experiment of yours will give me the impetus to do so!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads