Please help

Started Oct 4, 2021 | Discussions
stemcell Regular Member • Posts: 366
Please help

I have been using Photoshop for stacking images for several years. After I make my merged image, I go to “save as” and in the output menu I would see jpeg and save it as a jpeg. Recently, (last week), when I went to the output menu I only had 4 options (Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF and TIFF). I checked the size of the merged images and they were all 8 bits/channel RGB color. What can I do to save these images as jpegs? What did I inadvertently do during processing to get this limited output menu? Thanks for the help.

stemcell's gear list:stemcell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,817
Re: Please help

stemcell wrote:

I have been using Photoshop for stacking images for several years. After I make my merged image, I go to “save as” and in the output menu I would see jpeg and save it as a jpeg. Recently, (last week), when I went to the output menu I only had 4 options (Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF and TIFF). I checked the size of the merged images and they were all 8 bits/channel RGB color. What can I do to save these images as jpegs? What did I inadvertently do during processing to get this limited output menu? Thanks for the help.

Photoshop changed things in a recent update. You now have to click 'save a copy' to get the jpeg option in the dropdown box. It's no bother once you get used to it. I think there's also a way to get it back to how it was in settings/preferences somewhere.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6600 Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G +1 more
Nokiron
Nokiron Senior Member • Posts: 1,354

Horacecoker wrote:

stemcell wrote:

Photoshop changed things in a recent update. You now have to click 'save a copy' to get the jpeg option in the dropdown box. It's no bother once you get used to it. I think there's also a way to get it back to how it was in settings/preferences somewhere.

You can revert the change via these settings:

• (macOS) Photoshop > Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options
  • (Windows) Edit > Preferences > File Handling > File Saving Options

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/saving-images.html

Nokiron's gear list:Nokiron's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 Fujifilm GF 50mm F3.5 +14 more
gordonpritchard Veteran Member • Posts: 5,078
Try this first

It may look flattened to you but might not be to PShop.

So, first check your layers to make sure that your image is actually "flattened" before saving.

-- hide signature --

———————————————————————------
"View their gallery before accepting their comments."
My photos: http://www.gordonpritchard.blogspot.com/

gordonpritchard's gear list:gordonpritchard's gear list
Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon Coolpix P950 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +1 more
Major Jack Reacher
Major Jack Reacher Senior Member • Posts: 1,629

Horacecoker wrote:

stemcell wrote:

Open Photoshop:   Click, Photoshop>Preferences>File Handling.  Under File Saving Options, click on the area that says, Enable Legacy "save as".

-- hide signature --

Major Jack Reacher
Dpreview Members are welcome to EDIT/RETOUCH any of my images which I post to this website without prior permission.

OP stemcell Regular Member • Posts: 366

Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +1 more
Q-ball
Q-ball Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: Try this first

gordonpritchard wrote:

So, first check your layers to make sure that your image is actually "flattened" before saving.

I would be very surprised if Photoshop requires an image to be flattened manually before you can save it as a jpeg.

In Photoshop Elements you can certainly save a multi-layer image directly as a jpeg without having to first manually flatten the image.

But of course when you re-open the saved jpeg into PSE it comes in as a single background layer.

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

I would be very surprised if Photoshop requires an image to be flattened manually before you can save it as a jpeg.

And yet it has done that to me at least.

-- hide signature --

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Nikon Coolpix P950 Sony SLT-A57 Sony a77 II Sony 500mm F8 Reflex +1 more
Q-ball

gordonpritchard wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

In Photoshop Elements you can certainly save a multi-layer image directly as a jpeg without having to first manually flatten the image.

But of course when you re-open the saved jpeg into PSE it comes in as a single background layer.

ok   I'm not a Photoshop user so I don't know why it would do that.

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

ok I'm not a Photoshop user so I don't know why it would do that.

I am a PS user and have never needed to flatten layers to save as a jpeg. I would have thought that anybody who has recently updated PS would know it was obvious what the OP's problem was.

Sony RX100 III Sony a6600 Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G +1 more
Q-ball

Horacecoker wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

I am a PS user and have never needed to flatten layers to save as a jpeg. I would have thought that anybody who has recently updated PS would know it was obvious what the OP's problem was.

I've never had to flatten images in Photoshop Elements either to save to a jpeg.

Graham Meale
Graham Meale Veteran Member • Posts: 3,838

In my ancient CS6 there is an option "Save for web" which is JPEG. Dunno if it's still there in newer reincarnations.

-- hide signature --
 Graham Meale's gear list:Graham Meale's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +7 more
Here's an example of my point about flattening.

Horacecoker wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Okay, some screen shots:

Top image has two layers. Note that the save menu does not include jpg option while the flattened image below allows saving as a jpg.

You can search about layers in jpgs to confirm that jpgs don't support layers. If your experience is different then please show us how to save a layered image in jpg format.

As I originally wrote, the OP should make sure that their image is flattened before saving as jpg.

-- hide signature --

Re: Here's an example of my point about flattening.

gordonpritchard wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Q-ball wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Okay, some screen shots:

Top image has two layers. Note that the save menu does not include jpg option while the flattened image below allows saving as a jpg.

You can search about layers in jpgs to confirm that jpgs don't support layers.

I never said anything about jpegs supporting layers.

If your experience is different then please show us how to save a layered image in jpg format.

Of course, saving a PSD or raw file as a jpeg doesn't retain the layers, what a silly thing to say.

Here's a screengrab of using the Save As option of a layered PSD file as a jpeg without flattening the layers.

As I originally wrote, the OP should make sure that their image is flattened before saving as jpg.

Perhaps the OP will tell us what his problem was as I'm 99.9% certain it was the Photoshop undate and nothing whatsoever to do with layers.

Horacecoker wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Okay, some screen shots:

If your experience is different then please show us how to save a layered image in jpg format.

Of course, saving a PSD or raw file as a jpeg doesn't retain the layers, what a silly thing to say.

Here's a screengrab of using the Save As option of a layered PSD file as a jpeg without flattening the layers.

As I originally wrote, the OP should make sure that their image is flattened before saving as jpg.

Perhaps the OP will tell us what his problem was as I'm 99.9% certain it was the Photoshop undate and nothing whatsoever to do with layers.

"Save As" does not let me save the layered image as a jpg.

"Save a Copy" Allows me to save the image as a jpg because PShop flattens a copy of the layered image.

The OP wrote: "After I make my merged image, I go to “save as” and in the output menu I would see jpeg and save it as a jpeg. Recently, (last week), when I went to the output menu I only had 4 options (Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF and TIFF). "

That says to me that the OP merged the images into one. He didn't have jpg as a "save as" option because, although merged, it wasn't flattened as far as PShop was concerned. If the OP flattened the image as I suggested the jpg option would have been available. Alternatively the OP could have chosen to "Save a Copy" and PShop would allowed the jpg option and PShop would have done the flattening behind the scenes and saved the image as a jpg.

-- hide signature --

gordonpritchard wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

gordonpritchard wrote:

Horacecoker wrote:

Okay, some screen shots:

"Save As" does not let me save the layered image as a jpg.

"Save a Copy" Allows me to save the image as a jpg because PShop flattens a copy of the layered image.

The OP wrote: "After I make my merged image, I go to “save as” and in the output menu I would see jpeg and save it as a jpeg. Recently, (last week), when I went to the output menu I only had 4 options (Photoshop, Large Document Format, Photoshop PDF and TIFF). "

That says to me that the OP merged the images into one. He didn't have jpg as a "save as" option because, although merged, it wasn't flattened as far as PShop was concerned. If the OP flattened the image as I suggested the jpg option would have been available. Alternatively the OP could have chosen to "Save a Copy" and PShop would allowed the jpg option and PShop would have done the flattening behind the scenes and saved the image as a jpg.

But you are completely ignoring the fact that a recent Photoshop update will only show these reduced saving options whether you flatten the image or not. This same update had me baffled at first and probably thousands of other PS users. The fix is easy and has been explained in this thread.

Have you actually read the other replies?

Q-ball

Graham Meale wrote:

In my ancient CS6 there is an option "Save for web" which is JPEG. Dunno if it's still there in newer reincarnations.

The latest Photoshop Elements also has "Save for web" which saves to a jpeg but strips out all the exif data but gives the option to embed only the working colour space used to create the image.

OP stemcell Regular Member • Posts: 366

I believe the problem was the PS update. I was able to save the merged images as jpeg using the save a copy command. Again, thanks for the help.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads