Sony RX10 IV Photos Downloading Dark

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
leftylynn New Member • Posts: 12
Sony RX10 IV Photos Downloading Dark

I've had my Sony RX10 IV for a few months an have been really happy with it until now. Up to this point when I would download the pics to my computer they looked amazingly better than they did on the camera. Now suddenly the reverse has happened, when I download the photos they are all darker than they are when I view them on the camera screen. What happened? How do I fix this? Thanks!

Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 48,355
Re: Sony RX10 IV Photos Downloading Dark

leftylynn wrote:

I've had my Sony RX10 IV for a few months an have been really happy with it until now. Up to this point when I would download the pics to my computer they looked amazingly better than they did on the camera. Now suddenly the reverse has happened, when I download the photos they are all darker than they are when I view them on the camera screen. What happened? How do I fix this? Thanks!

sounds like the EV is adjusted down. Look at the screen and see what it shown on bottom

If you don't see it then push top of main wheel on back and choose show all

-- hide signature --

Bill
"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
So I Choose my Battles
Click for Wild Man's Photos
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
cheddarman Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

Check you haven't accidentally turned this wheel - I often do by mistake!

Bill Borne

cheddarman wrote:

Check you haven't accidentally turned this wheel - I often do by mistake!

Me Too! 

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III Nikon Coolpix P900 +3 more
OP leftylynn New Member • Posts: 12

Unfortunately it's not as simple as the EV. The pics looks great on the camera's screen, just not once I get them on the computer. For example, I took 2 pics of the northern lights. Granted they're not very good pics, but on the camera screen you can see the green streaks in the black sky. On my computer, the same pic is just a black sky. You don't see the green at all.

I actually have tape on that wheel because it was turning all the time. The pics look good on the camera screen, but darker and not the same once I put them on the computer.

Bill Borne

leftylynn wrote:

Unfortunately it's not as simple as the EV. The pics looks great on the camera's screen, just not once I get them on the computer. For example, I took 2 pics of the northern lights. Granted they're not very good pics, but on the camera screen you can see the green streaks in the black sky. On my computer, the same pic is just a black sky. You don't see the green at all.

Try calibrating your screen? or post samples so we can see

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,557

leftylynn wrote:

Check the menu setting Camera2/7 "Live View Display"

If it's off, then the display will look proper but won't reflect the stored image. It's primarily intended for proper framing when shooting with strobes.

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
Bryan
Bryan Senior Member • Posts: 2,533

I agree with Bill and may I suggest you re-check your EV +/- settings. You appear to be under exposing?

-- hide signature --

Bryan
Box-Brownie and other stuff.
Still looking for a digital back for my Box Brownie.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/bryang9/

Bryan's gear list:Bryan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS D30 DxO Optics Pro Elite Apple iPhone XS Max +2 more
cheddarman Senior Member • Posts: 1,378

In fact, upload a typical photo for us along with ALL the settings gs used to take it, that way we can start to evaluate where your problem lies. In fact you don't need to upload a photo, just give us a full set of settings.

Are you using a Custom set, are you in S/A priority or Manual. As much info as possible please. Bear in mind that what you see in the camera isn't always what is recorded to the card.

Thank you for trying to help me everyone. Here is a sample. I wish I could show you how it looks on the screen on the camera. It's so bright and beautiful on the camera screen. On my computer it's all dull and gray looking.

1/320 F7.1 ISO100 3:2 X.Fine +-0.00 STD AWB 8mm

I'm trying to think about when this started to happen. The only thing I can think is that it may have started happening when I started using a different SD card. Supposedly this new SD card is a better card. Could that have anything to do with it? That doesn't make sense to me though as to why the photo would look different on the camera screen than it does on the computer screen. Just grasping at straws.

So I tested my theory of it being the SD card and I believe that may be the culprit. Although I still don't understand how the photo can look good on the camera screen. Isn't the camera screen showing what's on the SD card?

I took a photo with the new card, downloaded it to the computer. Put in the old card, took the same photo and downloaded it to the computer. The photo from the new card looks good on the camera screen and bad on the computer. The photo from the old card looks good on the computer screen and on the computer.

How disappointing! Now I have all of these pics from two different trips taken on this crummy SD card.

FYI: the new card (the bad one) is a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB. The old card is a SanDisk Ultra 16GB.

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 13,557

leftylynn wrote:

Thank you for trying to help me everyone. Here is a sample. I wish I could show you how it looks on the screen on the camera. It's so bright and beautiful on the camera screen. On my computer it's all dull and gray looking.

Nothing about this looks troubling to me. It has bright areas and dark areas. I brightened the shadows a bit on the chance that it matched what you were expecting to see.

You _can_ change the brightness of your LED, and that of course won't change the image you store on your card

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Nikon Coolpix P950
Bill Borne

leftylynn wrote:

Well all else aside F:7 will give diffraction Stay at 4 to 5

-- hide signature --

Bill
So I Choose my Battles
Using Rx10 IV at Present

Enders Shadow
Enders Shadow Veteran Member • Posts: 3,510

leftylynn wrote:

I took a photo with the new card, downloaded it to the computer. Put in the old card, took the same photo and downloaded it to the computer. The photo from the new card looks good on the camera screen and bad on the computer. The photo from the old card looks good on the computer screen and on the computer.

How disappointing! Now I have all of these pics from two different trips taken on this crummy SD card.

Doesn't anybody else have a issue with this idea?

Memory cards don't have ability change image brightness. When they do corrupt data, it's usually fairly obvious. File is unreadable, random or repeating patterns, fragments of other images and many other possibilities. But they won't globally change luminosity.

I can't think of a reason why there would be any difference. Maybe you have a custom settings stored on 1 of the cards. You should post both images so we can examine them.

The image you posted was taken in auto exposure mode. Spot metering point mode was selected and the EXIF data strangely indicates multi frame noise reduction was used. As has been mentioned, f/7.1 seems like a unusual aperture selection.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Enders Shadow's gear list:Enders Shadow's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Olympus Tough TG-3 Fujifilm X30 Casio EX-ZR5000 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +20 more
Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,675

Enders Shadow wrote:

leftylynn wrote:

Doesn't anybody else have a issue with this idea?

Memory cards don't have ability change image brightness. When they do corrupt data, it's usually fairly obvious. File is unreadable, random or repeating patterns, fragments of other images and many other possibilities. But they won't globally change luminosity.

I can't think of a reason why there would be any difference. Maybe you have a custom settings stored on 1 of the cards. You should post both images so we can examine them.

The image you posted was taken in auto exposure mode. Spot metering point mode was selected and the EXIF data strangely indicates multi frame noise reduction was used. As has been mentioned, f/7.1 seems like a unusual aperture selection.

Different cards can't possibly have any effect on the brightest of an image.

Maybe the OPs display is set to 'Sunny Weather' and therefore will look very bright when viewing the images on the LCD screen, especially indoors.

So if we forget the misleading perceived differences of brightness on LCD screen and computer, the fact that the OPs images are slightly underexposed will definitely have something to do with having the camera in spot metering mode for landscape photos! Maybe a camera reset will sort it out.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6600 Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G +1 more

Thank you so much for helping me to get to the bottom of this. I'm certain the spot metering is a big part of the problem. I take a lot of bird photos and must have forgot to change it. Ugh! That makes so much more sense than it being the SD card.

You're recommending F4 or 5 even for a landscape photo? I thought I was going low at 7.  On my DSLR I usually am at 11 or higher, but read that this particular camera is not as good with higher aperatures.

Horacecoker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,675

leftylynn wrote:

You're recommending F4 or 5 even for a landscape photo? I thought I was going low at 7. On my DSLR I usually am at 11 or higher, but read that this particular camera is not as good with higher aperatures.

You've got to think differently with smaller sensor cameras and use the crop factor to work out what aperture you should be using compared to full-frame. For instance, f/4 on the RX10iv is equivalent to f/11 on full-frame for depth of field and diffraction. The crop factor for 1" sensor cameras is 2.73 so if you use f/11 on FF for landscapes, divide 11 by 2.73 =  4.03 or near enough to f/4. This in turn allows you to use a faster shutter speed and/or a lower ISO.

Horacecoker's gear list:Horacecoker's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a6600 Fujifilm X-T200 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Sony E 16-55mm F2.8 G +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads