LR deleting files after import

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
ChipD
ChipD Regular Member • Posts: 132
LR deleting files after import

I checked the library do see if this was covered, but evidently my search ability is severely limited. 

When importing pictures into LR, for some reason in the last year I"ve noted that it deletes the original from either the SD drive or the camera itself.  I can't for the life of me find how to stop that from happening. I've looked at all the options under either File Handling, File Renaming, Apply during import, and Destination and can't find that option.  When I'm traveling, I import the files into a portable HD drive, but as a backup, I want to leave them on the SD card until I get home just in case.  It used to never delete them.

Thanks in advance.

Chip D

dwight3
dwight3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,894
Re: LR deleting files after import

Sounds as if the import dialog got changed from "Add" or "Copy" to "Move"

PS: You don't have to import directly into LR. You can just copy the files to your disk and then import them into LR. I think it makes it easier to choose where they get stored, but YMMV.

dwight3's gear list:dwight3's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
dj_paige
dj_paige Senior Member • Posts: 2,899

The Move option should not be allowed when the photos are on a camera card, although some bugs like this have been reported.

Other than that, neither Lightroom nor Lightroom Classic deletes your originals at import. Nor does Lightroom or Lightroom Classic delete your photos at any other time — unless you specifically instruct the software to do so, it never deletes anything on its own.

-- hide signature --

Paige Miller

dj_paige's gear list:dj_paige's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 20mm F1.8 +2 more
ChipD
OP ChipD Regular Member • Posts: 132

dwight3 wrote:

PS: You don't have to import directly into LR. You can just copy the files to your disk and then import them into LR. I think it makes it easier to choose where they get stored, but YMMV.

Thank you Dwight.  That was it exactly.  For some reason it had changed to Move from Copy and then I had updated the preset.  But I noted that the other presets had changed from Copy to Move also.  At least now I know how to check for it, and of course I updated the preset.

Thanks so much.  That had been bugging me for over 6mos!!

-- hide signature --

Chip D

ChipD
OP ChipD Regular Member • Posts: 132

Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Chip D

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,055

dwight3 wrote:

I think this PS is exactly right.  I know where the files are going, and it becomes clear if there are any problems like permissions getting in the way.

I like to do things one step at a time, but as you say YMMV

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
dwight3

davidedric wrote:

dwight3 wrote:

I think this PS is exactly right. I know where the files are going, and it becomes clear if there are any problems like permissions getting in the way.

Move is NOT doing things one step at a time. It's copying, AND deleting. If there's any problem with the copying, the deleting will be a real problem.

One step at a time would be (1) copy; (2) verify; (3) delete (reformat the card).

Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,055

dwight3 wrote:

davidedric wrote:

dwight3 wrote:

I think this PS is exactly right. I know where the files are going, and it becomes clear if there are any problems like permissions getting in the way.

Move is NOT doing things one step at a time. It's copying, AND deleting. If there's any problem with the copying, the deleting will be a real problem.

One step at a time would be (1) copy; (2) verify; (3) delete (reformat the card).

Not sure what your point is.  "Move" using the operating system, which I agree is actually copying, then various options on what you do with the images on the card.  One step at a time, anyway.

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
dwight3

davidedric wrote:

dwight3 wrote:

davidedric wrote:

dwight3 wrote:

Not sure what your point is. "Move" using the operating system, which I agree is actually copying, then various options on what you do with the images on the card. One step at a time, anyway.

The point is that if you use move from the card to the computer, it copies to the computer and deletes the file from the card. IF the copy doesn't work correctly, you wind up with trash on the computer and the card file was deleted so you have nothing.

To be safe, copy, verify, THEN delete. Don't try to do it all in one step. It usually works but it's not secure.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads