Baryta budget alternative

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
al404
al404 Regular Member • Posts: 494
Baryta budget alternative

Just got a Canon G650 and is really impressive the quality on Canon Platinum paper, but is not my end of paper

I also have a Canon PRO 300 but G650 it will be used for more budget prints to give at family and friends,

MOAB baryta is my favorite paper I was wondering what could be the closer option on a budget

Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,300
Re: Baryta budget alternative

al404 wrote:

Just got a Canon G650 and is really impressive the quality on Canon Platinum paper, but is not my end of paper

I also have a Canon PRO 300 but G650 it will be used for more budget prints to give at family and friends,

MOAB baryta is my favorite paper I was wondering what could be the closer option on a budget

What characteristics are important to you in a paper?  Composition, surface, color, texture, etc?  What types of images do you print, type, B&W, etc?

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 9,702

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/palo-duro-baryta-fiber-paper.html

https://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/big-bend-baryta-310.html

https://www.itsupplies.com/Innova-Exhibition-Photo-Baryta-310gsm-IFA69-p/38606.htm

https://www.itsupplies.com/Canson-Baryta-Photographique-II-310gsm-Satin-p/400110545.htm

That Moab Juniper is a nice paper.

No such animal. All these "fine art" papers are at least $1 a sheet for 8-1/2 x 11. Maybe someone will find something I missed.

The only bargains are in the matte, doubled-sided, all cotton papers that come in natural and bright white, usually in a couple of weights. Canon, Moab, Red River, Freestyle Sales, maybe Canson all offer such papers. 50 sheets of Canon 8-1/2 x 11 can cost about $22.

https://www.itsupplies.com/Canon-Fine-Art-Natural-p/0850v059.htm

https://www.freestylephoto.biz/39482-Arista-II-Fine-Art-Natural-Cotton-Matte-Inkjet-Paper-210gsm-8.5x11-20

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,978
A suggestion

I suggest you try some of your Moab Juniper Baryta Rag in your G650. You may find that it does not look nearly as good with the the G650's dye inks as it does with the Pro-300's pigment inks. I have tried several baryta papers with dye-ink printers; some look good but others do not. Making (or having made) a custom ICC profile helps, but does not necessarily solve all the problems. YMMV.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
al404
OP al404 Regular Member • Posts: 494

Adam2 wrote:

What characteristics are important to you in a paper? Composition, surface, color, texture, etc? What types of images do you print, type, B&W, etc?

I like the fact that baryta paper is not smooth and not really glossy as standard photo paper, I also like the warmer tone but is the least important.

I will print color photo

I did not specify I live in Italy

Good luck.  I would start with the Moab paper then, but there doesn't seem to any bargain "fine art" papers of the like you like.

Yes. HP paper is good, but that seems expensive.

You will get nice prints with RC paper and your dye ink printer, it's just not the same as fine art paper.

Might as well stick with Canon paper?

Photo Glossy II

Semi-gloss.

Luster.

This is also good if there's a Canon European Store to order from:

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/pro-paper-sampler

al404

Is hard to understand the difference I guess I have to try but I already have a sample pack that came with PRO 300 of Canon Pro Platinum it says 300gr but it really feel much lighter paper maybe because it is thinner than fine art paper

I don't like the "photo lab" look of glossy paper I thought I semi glossy could be better

Not sure what is the difference with pearl and other

jrkliny
jrkliny Veteran Member • Posts: 4,592

If you want a good paper at low cost, I recommend Red River UltraPro Satin.  It is a microporous coated, semi-gloss paper with a fine/medium texture.  You will give up to characteristics to use this low cost paper.  First it is not a rag paper.  Personally I don't care but some people just like the "feel" of a rag paper substrate.  I don't care about "feel" just looks.  Second it is not archival.  It will not last for hundreds of years without yellowing.  Even so it will last on display for decades especially behind glazing.  I recommend you do some experimentation and I believe you will find that prints on different coated, semi-gloss papers will be almost identical.  If you are determined to use OBA free, archival papers, you can also consider Red River Palo Duro Satin which is still reasonably priced.

Years ago I choose Red River baryta paper as my  "best" paper.  Unfortunately all suppliers of baryta paper have encountered quality issues with the raw materials.  I am not interested in going through that again since the issues were substantial and included black flecks in the baryta coatings.

-- hide signature --
 jrkliny's gear list:jrkliny's gear list
Canon EOS 90D Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +6 more
al404

unfortunately it seems a US dealer

in EU there was Fotospeed but with Brexit is not a deal any more

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,298
Re: A suggestion

See if Innova Art is available in Italy. Their IFA-45 is a very good warm tone paper with a semi-gloss surface.

https://innovaart.com/product/exhibition-cotton-gloss-335gsm/

mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +1 more
dRomano Regular Member • Posts: 312

For my taste, the Innova IFA-69 is the best. Very neutral tone, which if compared to most papers with brighteners, appears almost warm next to them. It has some brighteners but not a lot.

It's about a $1 a sheet. What I love about it is the surface. Not shiny glossy, not fine lustery like an RC paper. Not directional at all, and not a deep texture either. Great maximum density of around 2.7. Gamut equal to Canson Platine. What ultimately sold me on it was that it takes spray really well. Some papers are too smooth for spray and others texture changes a lot. When I spray IFA-69, it doesn't change it hardly at all.

Get yourself a sample pack from Innova and try some papers.

dRomano's gear list:dRomano's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM DxO Optics Pro Elite +4 more

Good idea.  But less affordable than Moab Juniper?

Thanks for the suggestion.

mike earussi Veteran Member • Posts: 9,298

Gesture wrote:

Good idea. But less affordable than Moab Juniper?

I don't know prices in Italy.

mike earussi's gear list:mike earussi's gear list
Sigma SD1 Merrill Sigma 70mm F2.8 DG Macro Art Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM +1 more
al404

I did a lot of research and did not find a real solution yet but I update what I found

All prices refers to A4 25 sheets unless otherwise specified

Innova is available in Italy

IFA-69 is around 35€ so really close to MOAB

IFA-45 is around 33€ not so cheap eather

They have a IFA 04 that is around 20€ I may get a sample package to try

I did contact fotospeed that theyraccomend me a seller in Germany but it is close until October 15th and they have to order paper so I guess I would see it in November

Fotospeed suggest me as cheaper baryta alternative PF Lustre 275g after some research I found that Photo Smooth Pearl 290g should be almost the same but warmer, both sells for 27,60€ but A4 50 sheets

I also found that ILFORD Galerie it seems to be appreciated especially Prestige Smooth Pearl that it costs 38€ 13 x 18 cm 100 sheets ordered a test sample box to see the different papers. I should get it next week.

UtenteMac Regular Member • Posts: 138

Just my two cents from a fellow Italian photo amateur.

I use to but paper from either Amazon (preferred choice) or directly from the Epson Store.

My usual order from top quality to good performance for value has been:

1. Ilford Gold Fibre Silk
  2. Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl
  3. Epson Premium Semigloss

All of them usually available from Amazon and the third Amazon & Epson. Unfortunately as you know my preferred choice has been discontinued, so I'm still struggling to find a high quality paper which doesn't cost a fortune, even in A3+ or A2 sheets.

Some time ago I bought a few paper boxes from Marrutt and found them to be very interesting, then Brexit kicked in and Amazon.it doesn't sell it anymore.

I've looked into Fotospeed papers but didn't find any European reseller to work my way around the Brexit tragedy: which one did they suggested? Plus they do custom profiles for free for paper sold by them, not only from Fotospeed.

Now Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl has become my de facto standard for good to best prints waiting for the new king. It's not a super special paper: its texture is very regular, not any particular character per se, but the gamut is good and I can get excellent detail with minimal reflections, which is perfect for A4 to A3+ sizes. For A2 I'd prefer something more unique.

al404

My TOP favorite ( not cheap ) are

- Hahnemühle Photo Rag Pearl 320

- MOAB Juniper Baryta Rag 305

This is Fotospeed EU seller but is closed until October 15 and it doesn't have in stock

https://www.fine-art-papiere.de/fotospeed-267/

Good choices. Two of my favorites also.

But Hahnemuhle has so many variations on a theme.

There really are no bargain non-RC papers that I have found, except that Canon all cotton, doubled-sided matte paper.

Even less prominent brands in the US like Fotospeed, Innova and Simply Elegant charge major league prices for their fine art papers.

My experience with RC papers is that they all work well. For me, the Canon Photo Glossy II and Platinum Pro have better hand feel than Epson.

Haven't tried the newer Ilford RC papers, sounds good. Back in the day, I actually like the swellable RC papers (HP and Ilford).

Many of us on this forum are still working through 13x19 Canon RC paper back when they had Buy1, Get 3 and Buy 1 Get 9 in the US. This is when Canon was just about giving away the Pro-100 printers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads