Can anyone confirm that "MIN" on a Soligor mount means Minolta SR (aka "MC"/"MD) mount?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Arnstein Bjone
Arnstein Bjone Forum Member • Posts: 74
Can anyone confirm that "MIN" on a Soligor mount means Minolta SR (aka "MC"/"MD) mount?

1. Can anyone confirm that "MIN" on a Soligor mount means Minolta SR (aka "MC"/"MD) mount? (Soligor (/Tokina) 100-300mm 1:5 (f/5.0) macro, Minolta mount)

2. Does anyone know if there are any (glass)quality differences between the "FOTOFOX" and "FOTASY"-brand...? They are probably produced in the same factory...? The glass is there to make it possible to focus to infinity.

P.s

I can probably get this lens as a gift (value around 30 USD ), and I know it is generally rubbish, but maybe acceptable (in the center..),  between 135-300mm @f/8...?

I'm not looking to replace my EF 300 2.8 II. I just like to make comparisons...

Arnstein Bjone's gear list:Arnstein Bjone's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Samsung TL350 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +17 more
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,813
Re: Can anyone confirm that "MIN" on a Soligor mount means Minolta SR (aka "MC"/"MD) mount?

Arnstein Bjone wrote:

1. Can anyone confirm that "MIN" on a Soligor mount means Minolta SR (aka "MC"/"MD) mount? (Soligor (/Tokina) 100-300mm 1:5 (f/5.0) macro, Minolta mount)

Yes. Minolta SR.  The tab on the aperture ring is a dead giveaway.

2. Does anyone know if there are any (glass)quality differences between the "FOTOFOX" and "FOTASY"-brand...? They are probably produced in the same factory...? The glass is there to make it possible to focus to infinity.

P.s

I can probably get this lens as a gift (value around 30 USD ), and I know it is generally rubbish, but maybe acceptable (in the center..), between 135-300mm @f/8...?

I'm not looking to replace my EF 300 2.8 II. I just like to make comparisons...

For $30, I would search for another copy with a lens mount that is more compatible with Canon, mainly with a longer flange distance so that you do not need to use a adapter with optics to enable infinity focus.

Arnstein Bjone
OP Arnstein Bjone Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Can anyone confirm that "MIN" on a Soligor mount means Minolta SR (aka "MC"/"MD) mount?

Aoi Usagi wrote:

For $30, I would search for another copy with a lens mount that is more compatible with Canon, mainly with a longer flange distance so that you do not need to use a adapter with optics to enable infinity focus.

I think you have missed this..?: "I can probably get this lens as a gift..."

I haven't searched for that lens, and I'm not going to. I am barely willing to spend 18 USD (+25% VAT) on an adapter (if I get the lens for free), I just want to have it as a fun test object.

Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Samsung TL350 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D +17 more

Arnstein Bjone wrote:

Aoi Usagi wrote:

I think you have missed this..?: "I can probably get this lens as a gift..."

I haven't searched for that lens, and I'm not going to. I am barely willing to spend 18 USD (+25% VAT) on an adapter (if I get the lens for free), I just want to have it as a fun test object.

Yes, I sure did.

The reason for my opinion is that those optics in the adapter vary in quality so much, even when they are made in the same factory.  There is a high possibility that IQ will suffer (some, not so much).  They also act as short teleconverter, so it also affects image quality, the lens will be slower (less light hitting the sensor), as well as focal length.  They are also more expensive because glass costs money.  But if you are getting it for nothing, go for it.  You may be surprised.  I believe I used to own the Vivitar branded version of that lens and it was quite good.

Arnstein Bjone
OP Arnstein Bjone Forum Member • Posts: 74

Aoi Usagi wrote:

Yes, I sure did.

The reason for my opinion is that those optics in the adapter vary in quality so much, even when they are made in the same factory. There is a high possibility that IQ will suffer (some, not so much). They also act as short teleconverter, so it also affects image quality, the lens will be slower (less light hitting the sensor), as well as focal length. They are also more expensive because glass costs money. But if you are getting it for nothing, go for it. You may be surprised. I believe I used to own the Vivitar branded version of that lens and it was quite good.

You are probably correct about all. Maybe I look further into all this...

Ps.

Do you have a recommendation for an (old) "interesting" 135mm? MF is OK, and F/2.8 is bright enough. I'm looking for a real "bokeh-master." The sharpness should not be very far away from Tamron SP 90mm f/2.8 Di VC USD macro 1x (mod. F017). Price is not a big concern if there is a "bokeh master" out there that can compete with my Tamron in sharpness.

P.s/FYI (If you or others come across this topic in their searches). Here is something I found online:

Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:37 pm Post subject:The Soligor 100-300 f5 was produced from 1973 by Tokina for Soligor AND Vivitar (same product)

It was created at the same time as the 35-105 (35-105 + 100-300 = 35/300 in 2 lenses only .. A great advance at that time)

It was mainly sold as C/D product (Compact/Design.. The top of the range of Soligor - the C/D line competes for the Vivitar series 1 line) .. C/D because it was much more compact and lighter than the 75-260 4.5, which was the top of the Tokina/Toligor/Vivitar zoom range at that time.

Later a new version - more compact - was produced by Tokina for Vivitar only and sold in fixed mount and tx interchangeable mount.

I'm pretty sure that 2nd version was never sold as Soligor.

You can find the info for the 2nd version at the following address;"

(The link provided doesn't work anymore)

Komine made (serial number starts with 28) Vivitar Auto Telephoto 135mm F2.8 lens. It differs from the "regular" Vivitar 135mm by having 5 lens elements instead of the normal 4, has 8 aperture blades instead of 6, and has a milled focus ring. It is made in many different mounts and is relatively affordable.

If you want to go farther up the price range, Carl Zeiss Jena DDR Sonnar 135mm F3.5. It is not as fast at F3.5, but its rendering is better and less chromatic aberrations. They have a m42 mount version which can be adapted to Canon EF.

Canon FDn 135mm F2.8 is also very good, but cannot be adapted to Canon EF without a adapter with optics.

I don't think any will be sharper than the Macro Tokina 90mm. The Tokina (and other macro lenses) are designed for maximum sharpness since its for macro photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads