Need help, 7d Mkii focus screen not lighting up and blury

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
ZekeinSF New Member • Posts: 7
Need help, 7d Mkii focus screen not lighting up and blury

Hi all,

Forgive me but I have done searches for this problem and while finding a post from 2012 that was identical to mine, we were never given a resolution. Any help offered would be great! Here's the problem:

When looking through my cameras viewfinder it looks as though the camera is switched off or no battery installed. The viewfinder looks dead. However I can take pictures but there is no focus confirmation squares lighting up but rather a diffuse red blur that is coming from the top of the frame. this blur stays on for the same amount of time as the ficus confirmation/focus points normally would. The camera still beeps to give focus confirmation, will focus fine in live view, and even the photos taken through the viewfinder are in focus, however they are a bit over exposed for some reason. It isn't the diopter as it isn't that kind of blurry but rather that type of blurry you see when you lift the camera to your eye look through the viewfinder and realize you haven't turned the camera on yet. I know I'm being redundant but I can find no information about this particular problem but for this forum posted a decade ago.  Oh, and I have also checked the focusing screen and it appears fine and is properly mounted.  It happened two weeks ago when I reset the camera afterward looked as through the problem was solved. Unfortunately it came back a few days later and that's where I'm at.  Any ideas?

Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 3,878
Re: Need help, 7d Mkii focus screen not lighting up and blury

Hello...

ZekeinSF wrote:

Hi all,

Forgive me but I have done searches for this problem and while finding a post from 2012 that was identical to mine, we were never given a resolution. Any help offered would be great! Here's the problem:

When looking through my cameras viewfinder it looks as though the camera is switched off or no battery installed. The viewfinder looks dead. However I can take pictures but there is no focus confirmation squares lighting up but rather a diffuse red blur that is coming from the top of the frame. this blur stays on for the same amount of time as the ficus confirmation/focus points normally would. The camera still beeps to give focus confirmation, will focus fine in live view, and even the photos taken through the viewfinder are in focus, however they are a bit over exposed for some reason. It isn't the diopter as it isn't that kind of blurry but rather that type of blurry you see when you lift the camera to your eye look through the viewfinder and realize you haven't turned the camera on yet. I know I'm being redundant but I can find no information about this particular problem but for this forum posted a decade ago. Oh, and I have also checked the focusing screen and it appears fine and is properly mounted. It happened two weeks ago when I reset the camera afterward looked as through the problem was solved. Unfortunately it came back a few days later and that's where I'm at. Any ideas?

IDK - but can you take it to the nearest photoshop to get it fixed. ? 

-- hide signature --

?

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
Ray UK Contributing Member • Posts: 846

In a 7D2 there is a transparent LCD above the screen that displays the viewfinder information including the focus squares, it sounds like your LCD isn't working. It is not something you can fix yourself and probably means sending it to a Canon approved repairer.

OP ZekeinSF New Member • Posts: 7

Sue Anne Rush wrote:

Hello...

ZekeinSF wrote:

Hi all,

When looking through my cameras viewfinder it looks as though the camera is switched off or no battery installed. The viewfinder looks dead. However I can take pictures but there is no focus confirmation squares lighting up but rather a diffuse red blur that is coming from the top of the frame. this blur stays on for the same amount of time as the ficus confirmation/focus points normally would. The camera still beeps to give focus confirmation, will focus fine in live view, and even the photos taken through the viewfinder are in focus, however they are a bit over exposed for some reason. It isn't the diopter as it isn't that kind of blurry but rather that type of blurry you see when you lift the camera to your eye look through the viewfinder and realize you haven't turned the camera on yet. I know I'm being redundant but I can find no information about this particular problem but for this forum posted a decade ago. Oh, and I have also checked the focusing screen and it appears fine and is properly mounted. It happened two weeks ago when I reset the camera afterward looked as through the problem was solved. Unfortunately it came back a few days later and that's where I'm at. Any ideas?

IDK - but can you take it to the nearest photoshop to get it fixed. ?

Yes of course, I can take it to a repair shop to have it fixed but I'm the kind of guy who very rarely and I dare say begrudgingly, hires anyone to do something for me.  However this is not the case with my camera, I'm dumb but I ain't so dumb as to open it up and start poking around on my own. No, I inquired here just in case there was something easily done to fix it. Thanks for the advice, I'll be taking it.

Ray UK wrote:

In a 7D2 there is a transparent LCD above the screen that displays the viewfinder information including the focus squares, it sounds like your LCD isn't working. It is not something you can fix yourself and probably means sending it to a Canon approved repairer.

Thank you Ray for the info. I had read someplace about this transparent LCD just above the focusing screen, even managed to see it when I too that screen out to see if it had gotten jarred loose somehow. I replaced one in my other camera, a Canon T5 which was my first DSLR and it looks like I'm going to be reacquainted with it for a while.

For anyone interested, I'll be posting the results of the trip to the repair shop in case it happens to someone else and they were/are as lost as I was/am/will be. Complete with costs and timelines,

Thanks!

Good news! The reason my focusing screen would not light up properly was due to a bad battery/charger. It seems that after leaving a battery on it's charger overnight it wasn't getting the proper charge. It would show charged in my viewfinder however for whatever reason was only putting out 6.5 volts instead of the 7.4 it's rated at. New battery and charging kit solved my problem.  Thanks to all who helped out!

Ray UK Contributing Member • Posts: 846

Thanks for letting us know the conclusion, I am quite surprised by that. Well worth knowing.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads