D850 Buffer CFexpress!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Contributing Member • Posts: 999
D850 Buffer CFexpress!

Shooting 9fps, 12Bit Lossless compressed with the Sony Tough 128GB CFexpress card, I am getting between 80-83 images, which is just over 9 full seconds of shooting. Not sure if these cards in the D850 work faster or what, but I do believe reading the D850 was capable of less on the Sony XQD cards. There are of course other benefits to the Sony Tough cards, one obviously being they are built much better. The other is these cards are extremely fast when transferring images to a computer/laptop, using a CFexpress card reader. Sure they are not cheap, but I highly recommend them. I know they are not much faster as far as the D850 is concerned! We know the D850 certainly has a much lower write speed than the card is capable of. However I don’t remember getting this many images in a burst with the older Sony 64GB XQD G-series cards. If I remember correctly I was getting more around 58-60? Some people said that CFexpress gives you a worse or smaller buffer compared to XQD, but I clearly see the opposite!

For most of what I shoot 12bit lossless is perfectly fine. I’ve never been able to see any difference between 14bit and 12Bit lossless compressed. Maybe some landscape photographer’s do see a difference with extreme HDR type scenes or very large prints. Anyways if you’re like me and shoot action with your D850 at 9fps and would like to increase your buffer some, as well as make transferring images lightening fast, maybe worth the costs associated. The cards run about $220 each and the card reader I have is a dual-slot reader, with CFexpress in slot 1 and XQD in a lot 2! Yes it takes both a CFexpress and an XQD at the same time in two different slots side by side.

patricksmith32's gear list:patricksmith32's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Nikon 24-70mm F2.8E ED VR Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR Nikon D5 Nikon D850 +3 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads