Eyecup, keep it on or not ?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Tbamed Regular Member • Posts: 209
Eyecup, keep it on or not ?

Hi,

I've seen some photographer using their camera without the eyecup, I don't know if it is related but some second hand cameras don't have it as well...

Is there any reason, that I don't know , to remove them ?  or it is simply a part that can be lost frequently ?

Tbamed's gear list:Tbamed's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Nikon D5300 Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 17,896
Re: Eyecup, keep it on or not ?

One of mine fell off immediately and got lost. And then another.

Another got so badly worn that it fell off after a while.

They do serve a purpose, but they don’t stay on well.

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +4 more
hobbit mob
hobbit mob Regular Member • Posts: 383

Tbamed wrote:

Hi,

I've seen some photographer using their camera without the eyecup, I don't know if it is related but some second hand cameras don't have it as well...

Is there any reason, that I don't know , to remove them ? or it is simply a part that can be lost frequently ?

I went years without one after it broke off.  Recently upgraded and the eyecup is on now and I'll leave it on until it breaks off but then likely won't replace it when/if it does.  I don't know if they'd be more beneficial in an EVF, but i don't care either way with my dslrs. My guess is most people just don't bother replacing them when they lose them/break them.

-- hide signature --

Accelerating Entropy

hobbit mob's gear list:hobbit mob's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark III Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +12 more
OP Tbamed Regular Member • Posts: 209

Thank you for the answers !

Tbamed's gear list:Tbamed's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Nikon D5300 Sony a7R II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
drynn Contributing Member • Posts: 944

I use a large Hoodman eyecup and leave it on all the time - it is actually quite difficult to get off, so I have no fear of losing it. It rotates easily, so going from landscape to portrait is not an issue.

If I were to sell the camera, I would remove the eyecup and put it on the replacement camera (assuming same fit).

alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 16,206

For those who wear spectacles, an eyecup, specially a large and comfortable one, might make the eye more comfortable. It also help spectacles be able to get better sealed from surrounding light.

For evf, it is even more useful since while watching a tiny TV, when the lightness, color etc are important visual guide for exposure setting, to have a darker viewing environment is always better. Ovf might have smaller benefit from this.

For certain M43 MILCs, their owners look for an optional bigger eyecup for their evf.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic G85 +11 more
photonut2008
photonut2008 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,436

Mark Scott Abeln wrote:

One of mine fell off immediately and got lost. And then another.

Another got so badly worn that it fell off after a while.

They do serve a purpose, but they don’t stay on well.

I don't have that problem with the circular ones on my D800 and D500.

-- hide signature --

DPR, where gear is king and photography merely a jester

photonut2008's gear list:photonut2008's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +16 more
PhotoTeach2 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,501

Tbamed wrote:

Hi,

Is there any reason, that I don't know , to remove them ? or it is simply a part that can be lost frequently ?

The lack of an eyecup can cause exposure errors on dSLR's by light entering through the eyepiece.

This is a more common when the sun is behind you.

I don't think that is an issue w/ ML.

YWG Senior Member • Posts: 1,203

Tbamed wrote:

Hi,

Some cameras I have they have stayed put for years. Others, they seem to come off quite easily and fall inside camera bag or onto ground and lost. It is preferable to have the eye cup for me to aid in shielding the viewfinder in bright conditions

Also, easier on my glasses

YWG's gear list:YWG's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Olympus Stylus 1s Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads