New Macbook pro

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
P450 Forum Member • Posts: 57
New Macbook pro

Looking at replacing my 2014 16" MBP with 16GB RAM for running Capture One/PL4. Recent updates have made it lag a little.

I see the 13" MBP offers 32 GB max RAM whereas the 16" goes to 64GB.  With the new Apple chips, is there a "sweet spot" for RAM where increasing does not make much difference to photo processing? If there is, is the difference between 13" and 16" maximum RAM because of screen area?

terrydev Regular Member • Posts: 410
Re: New Macbook pro

The most recent M1 Macs max out at 16gigs of RAM (and that's plenty). Further, as there is currently no 16" M1 MBP, I suspect that you're looking at older Intel MBPs.

OP P450 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Thank you for setting me straight. I just clicked on MBP and assumed they were all the M1s. So any M1 with 16MB RAM should do the trick.

CAcreeks
CAcreeks Forum Pro • Posts: 17,343

P450 wrote:

Thank you for setting me straight. I just clicked on MBP and assumed they were all the M1s. So any M1 with 16MB RAM should do the trick.

If I were you, I would wait a month or two for the M1x Macbook 14 and 16 to appear.

I don't believe the screen size makes as much difference in memory use, as do the pixel dimensions. The upcoming M1x Macbooks are rumored to have more pixels.

terrydev Regular Member • Posts: 410

P450 wrote:

Yes. Though inevitably, there will be new MBPs, and likely soon. However, they have been rumoured to appear since June with all sorts of wonderful things but nothing yet. Next month or two? Maybe. The old rule applies: if you need a new computer now, buy an M! with 16 gigs of Ram. If you can wait then you don't need a new computer now...

dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 9,613

There are going to be a lot of bargains hitting the market, Intel based, shortly after the M!x macbook Pros come out.

-- hide signature --

---on the cutting edge---

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-200 Apple iPhone 12 Pro
CAcreeks

dmanthree wrote:

There are going to be a lot of bargains hitting the market, Intel based, shortly after the M1x Macbook Pros come out.

There are advantages in buying an Intel based Mac!

For instance, when I want to do development I can either (a) wait well over 24 hours for Xcode and the developer command line tools to install, or (b) buy VMware Fusion or Parallels, install Linux Ubuntu in under an hour, and develop on the x86-64 Linux VM - no way on M1.

You can also run Windows in an Intel Mac VM. There's nothing in Windows that I need, but many folks feel differently.

dmanthree
dmanthree Veteran Member • Posts: 9,613

CAcreeks wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

There are going to be a lot of bargains hitting the market, Intel based, shortly after the M1x Macbook Pros come out.

For instance, when I want to do development I can either (a) wait well over 24 hours for Xcode and the developer command line tools to install, or (b) buy VMware Fusion or Parallels, install Linux Ubuntu in under an hour, and develop on the x86-64 Linux VM - no way on M1.

You can also run Windows in an Intel Mac VM. There's nothing in Windows that I need, but many folks feel differently.

Parallels says their software will run Windows on the M1. If it can do that, can't it also run Ubuntu? VMWare says Fusion will run "nearly any OS" on their product, and say it's compatible with the M1 chip.

-- hide signature --

---on the cutting edge---

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-200 Apple iPhone 12 Pro
CAcreeks

dmanthree wrote:

Parallels says their software will run Windows on the M1. If it can do that, can't it also run Ubuntu? VMWare says Fusion will run "nearly any OS" on their product, and say it's compatible with the M1 chip.

I believe the problem is finding a version of Windows for M1. As far as I can tell from reading Parallels information, it requires the ARM version of Windows, which is only available on the Microsoft Insider channel.

Absolutely, there are many ARM versions of Linux. Ubuntu 20.04 would be my choice. Maybe I should do it and stop complaining about Xcode.

https://www.parallels.com/blogs/parallels-desktop-m1/

OP P450 Forum Member • Posts: 57

Thanks for the replies. I use Win/Parallels a good bit for work.

Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 19,342

dmanthree wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the M1 version of Parallels creates ARM virtual machines, not x86 emulators.  The Parallels sites says that you can use the M1 version of Parallels to run Windows for ARM Insider previews.

I believe that Windows for ARM contains Intel emulation code that allows it to run some Wintel binaries.  However, Microsoft is now saying that running Windows 11 for ARM on M1 Macs "is not a supported scenario"; whether in a VM or directly on the hardware.

https://kb.parallels.com/125375

https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/10/windows_11_m1/

Because Linux and a lot of the applications that run on it are Open Source and/or Free Software, you can get (or build) ARM versions of Linux and many Linux applications to run within a virtual machine on a M1-based Mac.  But you couldn't just install and run Intel Linux binaries.

CAcreeks

Tom_N wrote:

To the best of my knowledge, the M1 version of Parallels creates ARM virtual machines, not x86 emulators. The Parallels sites says that you can use the M1 version of Parallels to run Windows for ARM Insider previews.

I believe that Windows for ARM contains Intel emulation code that allows it to run some Wintel binaries. However, Microsoft is now saying that running Windows 11 for ARM on M1 Macs "is not a supported scenario"; whether in a VM or directly on the hardware.

https://kb.parallels.com/125375

https://www.theregister.com/2021/09/10/windows_11_m1/

Because Linux and a lot of the applications that run on it are Open Source and/or Free Software, you can get (or build) ARM versions of Linux and many Linux applications to run within a virtual machine on a M1-based Mac. But you couldn't just install and run Intel Linux binaries.

Good info as usual, Tom_N.

I think if OP P450 wants to run Windows VMs on a Macbook, he/she should get an Intel Macbook 16 before they disappear.

Just checked, and for Ubuntu 20.04 only the server version is available for ARM - no desktop.

JRP64
JRP64 Senior Member • Posts: 1,089

CAcreeks wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Hmm? 🤔 I didn't have any problems with Xcode on my MBP 13" M1 and as a matter of fact I had more problems with my Apple iMac Pro than the MBP.

JRP64's gear list:JRP64's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +5 more
CAcreeks

JRP64 wrote:

CAcreeks wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

Hmm? 🤔 I didn't have any problems with Xcode on my MBP 13" M1 and as a matter of fact I had more problems with my Apple iMac Pro than the MBP.

Installing Xcode from the Apple store took hours, and the Apple store told me that the command line developer tools would take over 24 hours to install (with WiFi).

However I found this tips page, and using the Apple developer site, command line tools installed in five minutes or so.

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/how-to-download-and-install-xcode/

My point about Windows virtual machines remains, though. It is difficult or impossible to run every x86 application in a Windows (ARM) virtual machine on the M1 with Parallels. If that's important, it should be easy enough to obtain a used Intel Mac in future years.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads