So, so confused! (2x extender compatibility) Nikon D70

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Barbie Heid
Barbie Heid Forum Member • Posts: 82
So, so confused! (2x extender compatibility) Nikon D70

Hi all!

I'm using a Nikon D70, and I'd really like to invest in a 2x extender (I have a Nikon 55-300mm). But I am soooo confused!

The official Nikon site says 'nope, can't be done', but the majority of the dealers/sellers say it can. I'm worried about nuking my sensor/and or motor, as Nikon warns I will. Plus, Nikon says you can't use an extender on any zoom to begin with, but again, the sellers insist I can!

Like to hear from anyone who's tried it/and or are using one; and can it even be done at all with a zoom lens and a D70?

Thanks so much!

Barbie Heid's gear list:Barbie Heid's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 5,359
Re: So, so confused! (2x extender compatibility) Nikon D70

Don't bother, even if it works the IQ will be so poor you'll soon get bored with it. Cropping will be better when using a 55-300.

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +4 more
Blufftonian
Blufftonian Senior Member • Posts: 1,218

Barbie Heid wrote:

Hi all!

I'm using a Nikon D70, and I'd really like to invest in a 2x extender (I have a Nikon 55-300mm). But I am soooo confused!

The official Nikon site says 'nope, can't be done', but the majority of the dealers/sellers say it can. I'm worried about nuking my sensor/and or motor, as Nikon warns I will. Plus, Nikon says you can't use an extender on any zoom to begin with, but again, the sellers insist I can!

Like to hear from anyone who's tried it/and or are using one; and can it even be done at all with a zoom lens and a D70?

Thanks so much!

As per Nikon, their teleconverters are compatible with some zoom lenses and bodies...

https://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/Common-Assets/Images/Teleconverter-Compatibility/EN_Comp_chart.html

But to be honest putting a 2x extender on that lens (I own one myself) would be problematic, not to mention that the converter would cost more than the lens. At f/11 don't expect either AF or metering to work so you'd have to go full manual. You might be able to find an aftermarket 2x converter (Kenko?) but again don't expect any automation.

If you really want a long tele lens then I'd suggest you buy a Tamron or Sigma (I don't think the Nikon 200-500 will work on a D70) but again check compatibility.

Blufftonian's gear list:Blufftonian's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +7 more
Barbie Heid
OP Barbie Heid Forum Member • Posts: 82

You're probably right: I used them with SLR's and wasn't really a fan then either. Thanks!

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +2 more
ARClark
ARClark Veteran Member • Posts: 4,289
Higher MP body the answer?

Barbie Heid wrote:

Hi all!

The official Nikon site says 'nope, can't be done', but the majority of the dealers/sellers say it can.

No Nikon TC will work with that lens, but Kenko makes TCs to work with a wide array of lenses. However, even if you could use a third party 2x TC on that lens and camera, the combo wouldn’t autofocus and IQ would be highly compromised.

I'm worried about nuking my sensor/and or motor, as Nikon warns I will. Plus, Nikon says you can't use an extender on any zoom to begin with, but again, the sellers insist I can!

Not true. Examples: Nikon 70-200, 80-400, 200-400, 200-500 and more. However, it is true, in general, that Nikon TCs will only work with a limited number higher quality Nikon primes and zooms.

Thanks so much!

As suggested above, you might be better off with a telephoto lens. Also, what is your budget? The Dx70 was a good camera at the time, but cameras have advanced dramatically since that time.

Consider this. Your camera has only 6.1 megapixels. A Nikon D300 is a much better camera that offers twice the megapixels, basically giving you twice the reach with the same lens. Further, you can purchase a number of inexpensive used Nikon DX bodies in the 16-24 mp range for the price of a 2x TC that would run circles around the D70. By that I mean faster focusing, faster frame rate, better high ISO performance, much brighter viewfinder, etc. Just a thought.

Alan

ARClark's gear list:ARClark's gear list
Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +13 more
Barbie Heid
OP Barbie Heid Forum Member • Posts: 82
Re: Higher MP body the answer?

Very good thoughts, indeed! The lens is a new toy for me, but maybe I should consider trading some stuff in towards a a newer system instead of trying to get blood out of a stone. Thanks for the tips!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads