An afternoon walk - the sequel

Started 4 months ago | Photos
bergfalke 4
bergfalke 4 Regular Member • Posts: 191
An afternoon walk - the sequel

After Friday afternoons success, my partner wanted to go and see the birds. So we packed a picnic lunch and went to Cobbler Creek Reserve. We took a different track this time - one that I don't normally use - but it paid dividends.

We spotted a dead tree that had numerous likely hollows, so we ventured off piste to have a look.

1. A nesting pair of Red Rumped Parrots. Male top left, female in the hollow. This dead tree was full of hollows and every one seemed to be occupied. There is probably a shortage of suitable nest sites.

2. Nesting female Red Rumped Parrots. I have never used a flash in my bird photos. I am now considering it when I go back to this spot.

3. Male Red Rumped Parrot. These birds are normally really hard to get close to. This one kept landing on the same branch very close to us. This is effectively full frame at 700mm on a cropped sensor body. You can never get this close.

The male Red Rumped Parrot kept landing very close to us on the same branch. Something was up, it is normally impossible to get that close to them. I took a wide detour to the other side and sure enough there was a hollow in the branch in the other side. He couldn't afford to leave it unattended less a interloper take up residence.

4. The male at the entrance to the hollow.

5. His lady arrives.

6. She checks out the hollow. She didn't seem that impressed really.

7. The male is nearby and scratches an itch.

8. The Red Rump on display

For the encore, I showed Justine the site where I scored the Pardalote pics previously. Almost on cue.....

9. Same tree, probably the same bird, different branch. Striated Pardalote.

10. Checking to see who is around.

11. And a quick song before flying off.

enjoy

Anthony

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bergfalke4/

bergfalke 4's gear list:bergfalke 4's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
Noah Yap Regular Member • Posts: 260
Re: An afternoon walk - the sequel

Wow! I like how the photos of the Striated Pardalote separated the bird so nicely from the background. Nice work! 

Noah Yap's gear list:Noah Yap's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V Nikon D3400 Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Tamron 100-400mm F4.5-6.3 +3 more
Mikel10
Mikel10 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,005

More beautiful images of beautiful birds. Lovely colors and detail. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Mike

Mikel10's gear list:Mikel10's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 250mm F4
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,653

very nice set, good job.

-- hide signature --

Nature is under no obligation to make sense to us!!!

bergfalke 4
OP bergfalke 4 Regular Member • Posts: 191

Thanks Noah

That tree is really well suited.  It is in the bottom of the gully with moderately steep sides.  A couple of steps up the slope brings you to eye level with the lower branches without going to far away from the tree.  The creek is behind the tree and there is a gap before the foliage on the opposite bank starts.

I should go there much later in the afternoon to see if the sun actually gets to illuminate those branches.  Both times have been with the branches in shade from the trunk.

Anthony

Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +2 more
bergfalke 4

Not a problem. A thoroughly enjoyable stroll.

bergfalke 4

Thanks 1Dx

macrouser
macrouser Senior Member • Posts: 3,334

lovely sequence of shots.  Keep it up.

macrouser's gear list:macrouser's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a7R III Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads