R5 / portrait question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
Jam Contributing Member • Posts: 946
R5 / portrait question

Camera: Canon R5

Lens: RF 15-35 2.8

my experience with R5 body -- about 1 month

Shooting: Model on the other side of a pool (indoor pool)

I'm newish to the R5 and taking portraits with it.

I think I set it up correctly for Eye detect for humans.

Sadly, my image results from this past weekend shoot seem soft.

I was about 20 feet from my model, I was using about the 30ish mm on the lens

My settings:

IS = on

ISO = 100

SS = 1/100

F = 5

Eye detection = Enable

AF operation = Servo AF

Subject to detect = People

Face + Tracking

Some of the images I can tell auto focused on the background and not the model, some I can't tell where it focused on.  While shooting The auto focus had a bit of issue finding the models eye.

my question is:::: Are my setting correct?  Am I missing a setting?  Is this just a case of LOW F# and 35mm and distance and me shooting when the focus wasn't on the subject.

I just feel like there are a few too many "un sharp" images for this shoot to be ALL me.

Thanks

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,140
Re: R5 / portrait question

First, Did you not see the focusing square in your camera?

If you go back and use Canon's DPP4, you can set it to show you where the camera has focused on shots already taken. You can also set up the R5 to show you where the focus squares on playback.

If the model stood up, they were filling only about 1/4 of the vertical FOV in portrait mode. With a 30mm lens and 20 feet, you must be focusing on the background as the DOF is huge even at f2.8.

You wrote that you were in AI-Servo and not Face/Eye detection. I would suggest using two back button focus for AI-Servo Spot and the other for Eye Detection. See Jan Wegnener's video, which explains all the steps to get it set up only choose people rather than animal eye detection https://youtu.be/-nnRqgXu7QI?t=458  With this setup, you can press either of the back buttons and see the focusing square(s) and locked.

Jam wrote:

Camera: Canon R5

Lens: RF 15-35 2.8

my experience with R5 body -- about 1 month

Shooting: Model on the other side of a pool (indoor pool)

I'm newish to the R5 and taking portraits with it.

I think I set it up correctly for Eye detect for humans.

Sadly, my image results from this past weekend shoot seem soft.

I was about 20 feet from my model, I was using about the 30ish mm on the lens

My settings:

IS = on

ISO = 100

SS = 1/100

F = 5

Eye detection = Enable

AF operation = Servo AF

Subject to detect = People

Face + Tracking

Some of the images I can tell auto focused on the background and not the model, some I can't tell where it focused on. While shooting The auto focus had a bit of issue finding the models eye.

my question is:::: Are my setting correct? Am I missing a setting? Is this just a case of LOW F# and 35mm and distance and me shooting when the focus wasn't on the subject.

I just feel like there are a few too many "un sharp" images for this shoot to be ALL me.

Thanks

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +13 more
George Zip Senior Member • Posts: 1,616

Settings all look good. At F5 at 30 there is a lot in focus.

Very odd, I find it hard to miss and all I do is portraiture pretty much. 
Is the box on their face/eye when you are shooting?

To trouble shoot maybe go back to single point and see how it focuses ok.

You might have a dud camera .

Hoka Hey
Hoka Hey Senior Member • Posts: 2,606

First thing, check where the camera was focusing. You can check focus points in DPP4 to see where the camera was focusing. Also, when you are shooting, you can see in the viewfinder where the focus points are and you can turn on focus point display in image review to check and see where your focus points are in-camera.

Off the top of my head, 20 ft seems like a fairly long way away for a model to "sharp" be with such a wide lens, but I'll let others comment on that.

Also, I'd turn on eye AF when shooting humans unless you have a very specific reason to turn it off.

Finally, if you can post OOC JPGs, it would help folks figure out what your issues might be.

Best,

-- hide signature --

Joe

I would double double check you are not set to animal …. I’ve done that and could not work out why it was acting weird. Then I remembered I had photographed a dog in the studio and forgotten to change it back to human.

OP Jam Contributing Member • Posts: 946

Thank you everyone for your comments.

A few responses to your comments:

1) I don't usually use DPP4 -- I'm looking through the images now with this tool and find that 50% (or more) have focused on the wrong thing.  I'll continue to check

2) 20 feet away using a 30mm (now that I'm checking, it's more like 22mm I was using).  Yeah -- I know, small target in the frame

3) What's in focus in the viewfinder, The eye detect was not locking in on the eye, so the focus squares were over a large part of the subject face AND the background (which was REALLY FAR -- like 100feet) behind subject

4) AI-servo vs face/eye detection.  My settings are Face/Eye Detect.  If I said AI-Servo, sorry about that.

5) Animal vs human, yup - I checked a few times, it's human - and the subject is human.

a similar but maybe different question::::

**** Using Eye detect for human, is there a distance I should be considering here.

For example, the model was about 20feet away, full body + shot (I wanted some reflection of the pool and some generous headroom)  is that to far for eye detect?  I'm assuming a wedding photographer is going to have similar (not exact) but similar challenges with distance.

Thanks again.

The camera is unlikely to pick out the eye in that situation and you would not need it as you have so much dof. It still should pick out the person ok, although I do not do much environmental portraits like that . 
Thinking about it … if I’m wide and people are small in the frame ( like a wedding which is a landscape with the couple small in the frame like one I did below from last week)  , I do just use single point and move it around .. probably  force of habit or maybe I have noticed that the AF struggles … I’m not sure. Not much help am i.

are they this small in the frame ?

OP Jam Contributing Member • Posts: 946

not this small, I'd say your image has the "model" at about 5% of the frame, that would make my "model" about 25% of the frame

Jam wrote:

not this small, I'd say your image has the "model" at about 5% of the frame, that would make my "model" about 25% of the frame

Should be fine .

Sorry I can’t help.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads