Canon's Digest movies and Video snapshots

Started 3 months ago | Questions
pocus Regular Member • Posts: 128
Canon's Digest movies and Video snapshots

I am checking for the first time video snapshot option and Hybrid Auto digest movies of 3 Canon cameras: G5X mark II, M50 and M6 mark II. I am not clear about their practical purpose. This is what I found out.

Video snapshots are shot in video mode by pressing the (red) record button. HAD (digest movies) are shot in Hybrid Auto on the mode dial. Both of them produce video clips.

HAD movies record a video clip AND save a photo. The video clip is appended to the video file for this day. If you change the folder the stills go to the new folder, while the associated video clip stays in the same folder.

On the other hand video snapshot movies do not save a photo BUT ask for the album file - last used or a new one. The video snapshot goes in the current folder.

On a computer the file names of the albums are the same as all other video files and are difficult to distinguish visually. Only the camera knows the difference and shows which is which.

I guess HAD movies are made to be used by tourists to record a voice message about an object or a place. For example you arrive at a site turn the dial to Hybrid Auto, say a few words ('This is the Eiffel Tower'), then turn the dial to PASM or Auto and start taking photos.

But I'm not clear about the purpose of Video Snapshots because you can record your voice message without having to interrupt your main video, select the snapshot option, record your voice, and then continue taking the video. Moreover video snapshots are only possible at FHD 25.00P in PAL mode.

The video files created from Digest movies and Video snapshots are both FHD 1920/1080 (in M50 resolution is 1280/720) at 25 frames/second (PAL); the codec is the same H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10).

But the file sizes of HAD movies and the snapshots are different. On M6 mark II the Snapshots produced files about 4MB / second, while the digest movies produced a file of more than 12MB / second.

Do you use Video snapshots or Digest movies? In what situation have you used them? Are my conclusions above correct? Given that everything is the same then why snapshots makes 3 times smaller clips than digest movies?

pocus's gear list:pocus's gear list
Canon G5 X II Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M50 (EOS Kiss M) Canon EOS M6 Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 4,117
Re: Canon's Digest movies and Video snapshots

Hello...

pocus wrote:

I am checking for the first time video snapshot option and Hybrid Auto digest movies of 3 Canon cameras: G5X mark II, M50 and M6 mark II. I am not clear about their practical purpose. This is what I found out.

Video snapshots are shot in video mode by pressing the (red) record button. HAD (digest movies) are shot in Hybrid Auto on the mode dial. Both of them produce video clips.

HAD movies record a video clip AND save a photo. The video clip is appended to the video file for this day. If you change the folder the stills go to the new folder, while the associated video clip stays in the same folder.

On the other hand video snapshot movies do not save a photo BUT ask for the album file - last used or a new one. The video snapshot goes in the current folder.

On a computer the file names of the albums are the same as all other video files and are difficult to distinguish visually. Only the camera knows the difference and shows which is which.

I guess HAD movies are made to be used by tourists to record a voice message about an object or a place. For example you arrive at a site turn the dial to Hybrid Auto, say a few words ('This is the Eiffel Tower'), then turn the dial to PASM or Auto and start taking photos.

But I'm not clear about the purpose of Video Snapshots because you can record your voice message without having to interrupt your main video, select the snapshot option, record your voice, and then continue taking the video. Moreover video snapshots are only possible at FHD 25.00P in PAL mode.

The video files created from Digest movies and Video snapshots are both FHD 1920/1080 (in M50 resolution is 1280/720) at 25 frames/second (PAL); the codec is the same H264-MPEG-4 AVC (part 10).

But the file sizes of HAD movies and the snapshots are different. On M6 mark II the Snapshots produced files about 4MB / second, while the digest movies produced a file of more than 12MB / second.

Do you use Video snapshots or Digest movies? In what situation have you used them? Are my conclusions above correct? Given that everything is the same then why snapshots makes 3 times smaller clips than digest movies?

IDK but maybe go to your nearest best buy or carninal photoshop to get it a program

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
OP pocus Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: Canon's Digest movies and Video snapshots

I still do not understand the purpose and usability of these two short movies - the Hybrid auto and the video snapshots. I'll try to use them soon on a trip but i guess they will create more confusion during and after the trip.

I remember in the old days I had a Fujifilm S9500 camera, which had a very useful function for tourists: an audio recorder, which creates a file with the same file name as the picture file. In this way one can always record the names of places visited and comments to the picture. Very handy and useful to remember the names of places years after the end the trip.

Canon G5 X II Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4
Advi
Advi Regular Member • Posts: 335
Canon's Digest movies

I have used digest movies in my M50.

When you shoot a picture, the camera also saves a 3 second movie.

Imagine you taking a picture of a child running. You will end with a picture and a small movie.

Youtubers do that all the time with an atmos Ninja connected to the camera, to show how the picture was taken. But with digest movie, it happens automatically, inside your camera.

Imagine you taking a picture of a show. You will have a small video of the song being performed at the moment of the shoot, automatically.

Imagine taking a picture on a boat by the beach with seagulls flying around.

Imagine taking a picture of people dancing. Or inside a theme park where a song can be heard of.

Later, at the end of the day, you can play all your digest movies taken throught out the day. Each digest movie ends with a picture being taken.

It is not recommended when people are still making poses (it may look boring).

Before taking a picture, you have to remember that 3 seconds of movie (with sound) are being recorded.

So, you can get a picture and a small movie for keeping your memories.

But be aware pictures are taken in AUTO mode, I mean, you cannot control Aperture or Shutter Speed. But it is not an issue, because the camera is very good at guessing the right settings.

This feature is also available at iPhone. Someone showed me his pictures using this mode once.

All you need to do is to turn the dial and instead of Aperture, Manual, or Time Value, select Digest Movie mode.

That being said, sometimes I took some pictures in digest movies mode and the movies were not recorded. It is not reliable, at least in my camera. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. (maybe because I'm still using firmware 1.0.0 in my M50)

-- hide signature --

Bye

Advi's gear list:Advi's gear list
Canon EOS M50 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 15-45mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM Canon EF-M 18-150mm F3.5-6.3 IS STM
OP pocus Regular Member • Posts: 128
Re: Canon's Digest movies

Advi wrote:

But be aware pictures are taken in AUTO mode, I mean, you cannot control Aperture or Shutter Speed. But it is not an issue, because the camera is very good at guessing the right settings.

This feature is also available at iPhone. Someone showed me his pictures using this mode once.

Thanks for your reply. This is the problem - I must always shoot in Auto mode, which makes me use the camera like a mobile phone. Did Canon want to incorporate phone functions in their cameras?

If I want to use any mode different from Digest movie I have to rotate the dial for each picture. Ugh. Otherwise I'll have to use my phone to take a short video before I take a picture.

All you need to do is to turn the dial and instead of Aperture, Manual, or Time Value, select Digest Movie mode.

That being said, sometimes I took some pictures in digest movies mode and the movies were not recorded. It is not reliable, at least in my camera. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. (maybe because I'm still using firmware 1.0.0 in my M50)

For me Digest movie and Movie Snapshot are confusing and not sure how reliable they are. I spent half a day to understand their function and purpose.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads