noph0t0
noph0t0 Junior Member • Posts: 34
Best negative scanner???

Hi,

I wanted to ask anyone if they had any experience with either
Epson Perfection V850 Pro
or
Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai

I wanted to get one for my 35mm negatives. but not sure which would give me the best scans?

I guess if I were to only ever scan 33mm negatives, the Plustek might be the right choice. BUT who knows what the future holds?

Having said that, if the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai would give better scans than the Epson Perfection V850 Pro, I would go for the Plustek.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance/

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
IainD Senior Member • Posts: 2,545
Re: Best negative scanner???

I have no experience with the Plustek, but my Epson V850 Pro is scanning prints for me right now and doing a great job. I am also completely satisfied with the job it does scanning slides. I find it very good for negatives as well, but you may require higher standards than I do. I really like my nEpson and it can scan 6x6cm negatives too.

I

PerTulip Senior Member • Posts: 1,618

noph0t0 wrote:

Hi,

I wanted to ask anyone if they had any experience with either
Epson Perfection V850 Pro
or
Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai

I wanted to get one for my 35mm negatives. but not sure which would give me the best scans?

I guess if I were to only ever scan 33mm negatives, the Plustek might be the right choice. BUT who knows what the future holds?

Having said that, if the Plustek OpticFilm 8200i Ai would give better scans than the Epson Perfection V850 Pro, I would go for the Plustek.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance/

I have a 850 Pro, because I also scan 120 and 4x5. I was considering a better option for 135 and now use the 850 for "preview scans" for the catalog. Those I want to print get "rescanned" with my DSLR and a macro lens.

PerTulip's gear list:PerTulip's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +5 more
Bernard Waxman Senior Member • Posts: 1,676

I don't know what the best scanner is, but I do know that I get good results with my Epson 700 (similar to the 800 with fluorescent bulb instead of led). Works very well with 120 and 4X5 film. I also get good results with a Nikon digital camera and the 105mm Nikon macro lens. The results are a bit sharper with the camera but the difference is not great.

Here is my camera setup.

http://photosbybmw.com/Tutorial_pages/scanner.html

-- hide signature --

bmw

Bernard Waxman's gear list:Bernard Waxman's gear list
Olympus E-10 Nikon D2X Nikon D100 Nikon D3100 Nikon D800 +16 more
noph0t0
OP noph0t0 Junior Member • Posts: 34

Thanks for the comments.
Im really looking for a stand alone scanner, flatbed or for film only. Since I don't own a DSLR, and have no intention of getting one.
But thank you for the input everyone

Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 3,144

I have a Plustek 8200i AI and would recommend it. I think the general feeling is that you will get a better scan of 35mm film using a dedicated film scanner rather than a flatbed.  That is my experience too.

There is a discussion on the film forum with some measurements of real resolutions between a number of scanners and cameras https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64756705

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads