Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III vc M mount on a M6 MkII

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Ruy hawkeye New Member • Posts: 3
Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III vc M mount on a M6 MkII

Does anyone here trustes Tamron? And if so is a 18-200mm fully dedicated to M series a good bet to use on a M6 MkII?

Thanks in advance!

Ruy hawkeye's gear list:Ruy hawkeye's gear list
Canon G9 X II Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
IoannisZ
IoannisZ Regular Member • Posts: 384
Re: Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 Di III vc M mount on a M6 MkII

"Good bet"? Canon (at the contrary of Sony and I think Nikon), doesn't give the algorithms for its lenses to nobody. Third party lenses can work today with a camera body but not tomorrow (at least not at 100% of their potential). You are "prisoner" of firmwares.

-- hide signature --

Flickr. Ioannis_arc
Instagram ioannis_arc
More pixels, less ideas

OpticsEngineer Veteran Member • Posts: 7,229

I have an M mount Tamron 18-200 I have used on my Canon M5

AF is okay, but a bit slower than my Canon 18-150. Sometimes with the Tamron I get the orange exclamation mark saying it couldn't focus, although with a second try, it nearly always does focus.

With the Canon AF is always pretty snappy. I can't recall ever getting the orange exclamation point.

The annoying thing about the Tamron on the M5 is that the Tamron has a larger diameter barrel. So where the grip is, my knuckles are always rubbing against the lens. The Canon lens is smaller diameter so that never happens.

I like Tamron and I have a lot of their lenses. The Tarmon 18-200 E mount on my Sony A6300 is pretty good. But in this case with Canon, I think just going with the Canon is just a better choice.

The annoying thing about the Canon 18-150 is the lens cap pops off with the slightest tap, like when you set the camera down on a table.   Really poorly conceived. So I bought a Sony lens cap of the same size and it stays on a lot better.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS Canon PowerShot G7 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Pentax *ist D +27 more
Ali Senior Member • Posts: 1,685

Ruy hawkeye wrote:

Does anyone here trustes Tamron? And if so is a 18-200mm fully dedicated to M series a good bet to use on a M6 MkII?

Thanks in advance!

I used the Tamron EF-M 18-200 first with the M3, then M6, and now am using it with the M6II. It’s a nice lens, good build and image quality. In low light or low contrast situations sometimes slow to focus. I also needed to get a firmware update on both camera updates, but Tamron did it free and quickly.

I like the versatility of the lens. I usually grab that and the EF-M 32mm when travelling. Another good pairing is with the 11-22,  if you need wide.

Ali's gear list:Ali's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Olympus TG-5 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5
Maxmolly7
Maxmolly7 Contributing Member • Posts: 596

Ruy hawkeye wrote:

Thanks in advance!

I used to have the Tamron since its introduction for many years on M, M3 and M6.

To make a long story short, the EF-M 18-150MM is the better,smaller and lighter zoom lens. The Tamron is not as sharp and AF is slower and sometimes not accurate. The Tamron always needs firmware updates for which the lens has to be sent in.

In the end I sold the Tamron in favour of the 18-150mm.

-- hide signature --

May THE LIGHT be with you!

Maxmolly7's gear list:Maxmolly7's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Canon EOS M6 Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads