DP2Q workflow on a Mac

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Vogelkop Junior Member • Posts: 36
DP2Q workflow on a Mac

Hello,
I recently got a DP2 Quattro.
I am now reading and testing it up against my Sony A7RII (and my 1st gen Fuji X100).
At first I was about to tell myself to just stick with my A7RII, but then I 'zoomed in' on the contrasty areas and realized the 'medium format' quality of the foveon.. No ghosting from neighbor pixels.
But.. I also did read about the difference in quality from the Raw files compared tp the almost raw DNG.
Normally I am using Capture One. And I would love to stick with that.
Realistically I will never use the Sigma software. It is too slow.
So what I am hoping for is to hear about relatively simple workflows that others have settled with? Are you clever guys OK with the DNG files? Is it possible to get Capture One to recognize the camera and import profiles etc? 
I am also curious about opinions on my dilemma on whether I should shoot my Sony instead (faster, easier, newer, bigger files, more dynamic range etc..).
Oh.. and I do own a 44" Epson Printer. I would like to end up producing large Black and white photos in a quality that mimicks film. So that is also a reason for being interested in keeping the Sigma..
Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma dp2 Quattro
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Human Elements
Human Elements Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Re: DP2Q workflow on a Mac

One thing you can do is convert the Quattro .X3F files to .TIFFs in Sigma Photo Pro, and then import them into Capture One. It does help to make any basic adjustments there since the software is really good at handling the files. But it might not be required for your style of shooting!

And FWIW using SPP on my M1 Mac is a fairly painless experience. It's not lightning fast but it's leagues better than SPP was on my non-Silicon Mac! Good luck!

Human Elements's gear list:Human Elements's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR III
OP Vogelkop Junior Member • Posts: 36

Thank you, Human (I assume that is your first name..)
I have seen that a lot of people are doing this tiff conversation.
Will the tiff have the same depth as the raw files regarding highlights and shadows?
I mean.. will I end up with a file in Capture One that has the same editing possibilities except for the white balance?

TN Args
TN Args Forum Pro • Posts: 10,237

Vogelkop wrote:

Thank you, Human (I assume that is your first name..)
I have seen that a lot of people are doing this tiff conversation.
Will the tiff have the same depth as the raw files regarding highlights and shadows?
I mean.. will I end up with a file in Capture One that has the same editing possibilities except for the white balance?

Yes. Unless you choose 8 bit TIFF! 16 bit TIFF will contain all the image data of the 14 bit raw.

You can also learn to use batch mode in Sigma Photo Pro to batch all your .X3F files to TIFF, ideally IMO with luminance NR dialled down to minimum (leave colour NR on default), and sharpening reduced to somewhere in the range of -1.2 to -2.0 (minimum). Auto WB is also quite competent as a way to help automate the batch process.

(Note: the above settings are for base ISO: I don't even consider shooting my Quattro at higher ISO)

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads