Interesting reading about "Pentax"

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,411
Interesting reading about "Pentax"
Holger Bargen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,683
Re: Interesting reading about "Pentax"

Thank you for sharing.

Went to a link in the comments and found that the name "Pentax is protected there till 30.09.2022. Hope, Ricoh hat this date in mind and will take steps to prolong their reiht to use the name, exclusvely.

Here the entry in the database:

https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/register/DD607589/DE

Best regards

Holger

Holger Bargen's gear list:Holger Bargen's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax K-S1 Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 70mm F2.8 EX DG Macro +7 more
DougOB
DougOB Senior Member • Posts: 2,408

Holger Bargen wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Went to a link in the comments and found that the name "Pentax is protected there till 30.09.2022. Hope, Ricoh hat this date in mind and will take steps to prolong their reiht to use the name, exclusvely.

My preference would be for Ricoh to continue the Pentax name for historic and sentimental reasons.

OTOH, if they don't and Pentax (Pentaprism & Contax) becomes Pentoh (Pentaprism & Ricoh) and everything continues as it otherwise would... will the world end?    Certainly the loss of an historic brand name but in practice is it worth that much these days (outside Japan)?

Doug

p.s., still prefer for "Pentax" to continue so I can be a Pentaxian vs a Pentohian

DougOB's gear list:DougOB's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 Pentax Q-S1 Pentax K-70 Pentax KP +35 more
flektogon
OP flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,411

Holger Bargen wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards

Holger

Very interesting, because that "Pentax" patent belongs to Hoya, as they still make optical instruments under the name of Pentax. Whether there is another patent (Pentax brand name protection) registered by Ricoh, we have no clue. Maybe one day will Hoya bring Ricoh to court for violating the use of the Pentax name.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

DougOB

flektogon wrote:

https://kosmofoto.com/2019/10/the-first-pentax-camera-was-east-german/

Some interesting history here.  The more recent Hoya and Ricoh relationships seem simply par for the course in this light.

Doug

DougOB

flektogon wrote:

Holger Bargen wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards

Holger

Very interesting, because that "Pentax" patent belongs to Hoya, as they still make optical instruments under the name of Pentax. Whether there is another patent for the name Pentax registered by Ricoh, we have no clue. Maybe one day will Hoya bring Ricoh to court for violating the use of the Pentax name.

My understanding is that Ricoh has a license from Hoya to use "Pentax" for the use with cameras ans similar optics (e.g., binoculars). There is some discussion on whether the license is time limited or not.

In addition to medical instruments (endoscopes) the Pentax name has been used on surveying equipment.  Not sure if they are still under production or not.

Doug

James O'Neill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,767

I knew about  "Pentaprism Contax" spawning both Penta-con and  Pen-tax but it's the first time I've seen the German camera.

(just as Nikon was Nippon-Ikon also from Zeiss. I think that's why some people pronounce it it as nigh con  and others as Nick-on")

The first time I heard someone talking about our brand he called it Ash-eye Pentax. And it was some years before I noticed that wasn't spelt like that at all. I've been thinking it was Ass-er-high for decades, but the beer which shares the name has been running commercials recent saying As-are-he .

At least Pen-tax (a levy on writing implements) is easy to get right. If Asahi had taken Pentacon,  we'd be have people saying Pen-ter-con and Pen-tack-on

James O'Neill's gear list:James O'Neill's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 Pentax smc DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +3 more
flektogon

Holger Bargen wrote:

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards

Holger

Now regardless of the Pentax name, I am still admiring the East German engineers what everything they were able to achieve under such disastrous conditions. At first, before the end of WWII Americans tried to damage as much as they could in the "future" Soviet zone of Germany. Such a way Dresden was almost wiped out just 10 weeks before the war end. Then, whatever still remained there, the Soviets de-mounted and moved away as the "war reparation". And, in spite of it, at least in the photo industry, East German products (at least in Czechoslovakia, where I lived at that time) were considered as the best. Yes, a domestic photo company, Meopta, were making some interesting products (like TLR Flexaret or enlarger Opemus), but this was nothing in comparison to those Contax (Kijev), Werra, Exa/Exacta (I had one ), Praktina/Praktica, Pentagon Six cameras and a very wide selection of excellent lenses (Flektogon 35/2.4 was my favourite). In comparison to their Soviet copies, there were jewels! And for a fraction of the price of the imported Western and Japanese products! It's a pity that now everything has been forgotten .

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 12,813
Things aren't so simple, but speculation runs rampart...

On the PDML there was this post saying that basically both Contax and Asahi Optical "invented" the name Pentax, independently and without knowing of each other. That's from the owner of the Asahi Optical Historical Club site.

https://www.mail-archive.com/pdml@pdml.net/msg133003.html

Regarding the supposed end of Ricoh's right to use the Pentax brand... we had this discussion few years ago. That past supposed deadline passed, and Ricoh is still happily using the Pentax brand. Now we have a new supposed deadline... and the story will repeat itself every time someone reads something on the Internet

It's common sense: in 10 years since they took over Pentax Imaging Systems, Ricoh took no step to replace the Pentax brand. On the contrary, they're now promoting Pentax harder than ever.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +9 more
Jon Donahue Contributing Member • Posts: 844

Really interesting! I love history, and this account is fascinating. And 'a rose by any other name is still a' doesn't really work here... Pentax was the perfect name for Asahi's pentaprism designs, and here we are.

Jon Donahue's gear list:Jon Donahue's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-70
flektogon
Re: Things aren't so simple

Alex Sarbu wrote:

On the PDML there was this post saying that basically both Contax and Asahi Optical "invented" the name Pentax, independently and without knowing of each other. That's from the owner of the Asahi Optical Historical Club site.

Regarding the supposed end of Ricoh's right to use the Pentax brand... we had this discussion few years ago. That past supposed deadline passed, and Ricoh is still happily using the Pentax brand. Now we have a new supposed deadline... and the story will repeat itself every time someone reads something on the Internet

It's common sense: in 10 years since they took over Pentax Imaging Systems, Ricoh took no step to replace the Pentax brand. On the contrary, they're now promoting Pentax harder than ever.

Alex

Who cares for how long Pentax will be made under the name of Pentax! Definitely not I. I want a digital Contax!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

flektogon

flektogon wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Alex

Who cares for how long Pentax will be made under the name of Pentax! Definitely not I. I want a digital Contax!

Actually Fuji already makes such a digital Contax. So, I would gladly trade my problems with your problems regarding the future of Pentax .

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

Alex Sarbu Forum Pro • Posts: 12,813

flektogon wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Alex

I care about Pentax. It's the brand I prefer to use.

Alex

-- hide signature --

"When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say." - George R.R. Martin, A Clash of Kings

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads