First G5X - Underrated Bargain, i think!

Started 3 months ago | User reviews
KoolKool Regular Member • Posts: 159
First G5X - Underrated Bargain, i think!

So while everyone getting better love with newer mark from G7X, G5X but still raging for unchanged poor autofocus performance

i have bought a like-new G5X first version for only 300$ with few dust specks inside the lens, got professionally cleaning for 5$. With one day experience the camera, here is my short review

Pros

- Solid build with SLR-like shape!

- Touch screen

- Fast and smooth interface operation

- Excellent image quality for the sensor size

- Sharp and clear EVF, LCD screen

- Decent zoom lens with bright aperture

- CHDK supported! (unstable build)

- Uncompressed 14 bit RAW

- Okay point and shoot AF

- Okay Full HD video quality

Cons

- Pretty average lens sharpness

- No weather seal, the lens design is vulnerable to dust invasion

- Not pocketable

- Quite slow RAW shooting

- AF isn't like RX100 series

- Bad Battery life

- The EVF is darker than LCD

- No 4K

Overall, i'm happy with the camera and feel perfectly fine with it's weaknesses. I shoot RAW all the time and love doing colorful post-processing,

i have Dxo Photolab + Topaz Sharpen AI, both 2 softwares did good job at improving the image quality.

I can't go outside because of lockdown. So here are 2 photos i took at home

I unchecked distortion correction cause i like fisheye-like effect

Canon PowerShot G5 X
20 megapixels • 3 screen • 24 – 100 mm (4.2×)
Announced: Oct 13, 2015
KoolKool's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
acceptable
Action / sports
bad
Landscapes / scenery
excellent
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 4,107
Re: First G5X - Underrated Bargain, i think!

Excellent and thank you for sharing. 

KoolKool wrote:

So while everyone getting better love with newer mark from G7X, G5X but still raging for unchanged poor autofocus performance

i have bought a like-new G5X first version for only 300$ with few dust specks inside the lens, got professionally cleaning for 5$. With one day experience the camera, here is my short review

Pros

- Solid build with SLR-like shape!

- Touch screen

- Fast and smooth interface operation

- Excellent image quality for the sensor size

- Sharp and clear EVF, LCD screen

- Decent zoom lens with bright aperture

- CHDK supported! (unstable build)

- Uncompressed 14 bit RAW

- Okay point and shoot AF

- Okay Full HD video quality

Cons

- Pretty average lens sharpness

- No weather seal, the lens design is vulnerable to dust invasion

- Not pocketable

- Quite slow RAW shooting

- AF isn't like RX100 series

- Bad Battery life

- The EVF is darker than LCD

- No 4K

Overall, i'm happy with the camera and feel perfectly fine with it's weaknesses. I shoot RAW all the time and love doing colorful post-processing,

i have Dxo Photolab + Topaz Sharpen AI, both 2 softwares did good job at improving the image quality.

I can't go outside because of lockdown. So here are 2 photos i took at home

I unchecked distortion correction cause i like fisheye-like effect

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 929

Thanks for your review. I've been contemplating the purchase of the GX5 because of it's viewfinder and hot shoe for some time. I think the used prices are now low enough to justify the purpose. Your review helped me make my decision.

Miss tilly
Miss tilly Senior Member • Posts: 1,755

used prices are certainly more realistic. Like you I have tracked it for a long time.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Gary

F8AD
F8AD Forum Member • Posts: 82

Kool Kool

Just like you, I have been looking at small but good raw capable cameras.
For three years, I tried to find a used Sony RX100 III for the price you paid for the G5X. It's difficult to find a nicely priced used one without issues such as the breaking rubbery plastic port covers, scratched screens because the LCD is always exposed, and damaged flash /pop up viewfinder issues. These are the weak points.

Once I realized that portability was what I wanted more than pocketability, I broadened my search to other 1"sensor cameras with similar specs. Raw capability is a must have.

I bought a used G5X about 5 weeks ago like new ,for $300 U.S. and am very happy with it. I am convinced that the dial controls are better than scrolling menus used on other brands. I really like the dial and control ring function assignments .

The EVF is big and bright enough, sturdy because it is a fixed mount, offers customization of display settings, and is still compact. I will not buy a camera without a viewfinder.

I was surprised how good the small sensor is in low light; the G5x has a nice wide aperture range. The LCD won't be scratched if closed during transport and is sturdy.

The short battery life complaint is a valid one, but I would rather buy extra batteries than have long life and less utility. Some owners complain too about the two-handed battery /card door, but I think the design -without a snap shut detent - is what keeps it from breaking like on the RX100.

Focus is sometimes slow, but accurate.

Put a good wrist strap on it and a plastic 58mm Kaiser lens cover over the lens leaves to keep dirt or dust out of the leaves and your good to go even one handed. The camera will shut off if you forget to remove the cover when you power on  ,without damage.

It's a great little camera when you can't or don't want or can't carry a bunch of lenses or a venue doesn't allow a dslr. Similarly spec'd to the G5XII unless one likes 4K video and their file size.
Definitely underrated , I'll guess prices will climb. Best wishes!

F8AD
F8AD Forum Member • Posts: 82

oOpS my mistake-

Th 598mm Kaiser lens cover should read 58mm. Sorry about that !

OP KoolKool Regular Member • Posts: 159

F8AD wrote:

oOpS my mistake-

Th 598mm Kaiser lens cover should read 58mm. Sorry about that !

good solution, i also found this

JJC L39 Ultra Slim Multi Coated UV Filter For Sony RX100 V RX100 VI RX100 VII ZV 1 Canon G5X Mark II G7X Mark II G7X Mark III|Camera Filters| - AliExpress

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads