Running on Water

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
kathiemt
kathiemt Contributing Member • Posts: 926
Running on Water

Taken with P950 in Shutter Priority mode. Learning to master this mode now, for action shots, although Bird mode is still my favourite. Image is cropped.

These birds are Eurasian Coots. Taken in Victoria, Australia.

kathiemt's gear list:kathiemt's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,428
Re: Running on Water

Nice catch. They really do have to run across the water to take flight. Even though coots and many of their relatives seem to have weak wings and flying capabilities, they can fly great distances in their migrations. Compared to a powerful duck or goose, they're like small mopeds with tiny, but very fuel-efficient engines.

Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
kathiemt
OP kathiemt Contributing Member • Posts: 926

Stephen McDonald wrote:

Nice catch. They really do have to run across the water to take flight. Even though coots and many of their relatives seem to have weak wings and flying capabilities, they can fly great distances in their migrations. Compared to a powerful duck or goose, they're like small mopeds with tiny, but very fuel-efficient engines.

Thanks for that info Stephen - always good learning more about our birds.

Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 22,212

Really cool capture Kathie!

Stay healthy

ANAYV

bluzman
bluzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,304

kathiemt wrote:

Taken with P950 in Shutter Priority mode. Learning to master this mode now, for action shots, although Bird mode is still my favourite. Image is cropped.

Great image. Wildlife in motion is my favorite. Since you're working on mastering shutter priority, I will offer a friendly suggestion. Experiment using a faster shutter speeds than 1/400 seconds. A little faster shutter may have eliminated some of the motion blur of the coot's wingtips. OTOH, perhaps that was what you were after.

Anyway, it's a neat shot so thanks for sharing it. I enjoy your images and envy the colorful subjects that seem to abound in your vicinity.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D500 +16 more
kathiemt
OP kathiemt Contributing Member • Posts: 926

bluzman wrote:

kathiemt wrote:

Great image. Wildlife in motion is my favorite. Since you're working on mastering shutter priority, I will offer a friendly suggestion. Experiment using a faster shutter speeds than 1/400 seconds. A little faster shutter may have eliminated some of the motion blur of the coot's wingtips. OTOH, perhaps that was what you were after.

Anyway, it's a neat shot so thanks for sharing it. I enjoy your images and envy the colorful subjects that seem to abound in your vicinity.

Thanks, appreciated - yes, experimenting currently but the blur kind of works too I have upped to 1/800 today - very bright day outside but harsh shadows so will see how it goes.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 14,428
Blurring in Still and Moving Images

One thing that should be considered regarding the blurred wingtips of flying birds in photos, is that human vision produces blurring in such subjects when viewing them live. Like video or motion-picture cameras, human vision captures and processes a series of still images. The refresh rate of the frames for our vison varies between about 15 to 80 frames-per-second (FPS), depending mostly on the amount of light available.

So even if the light and moving-image playback is bright, our highest visual FPS would not allow us to see unblurred wings of flying birds. But this is normal and we wouldn't notice anything wrong about fast-moving subjects as we see them. Although it's nice to have sharp and unblurred wingtips in photos, we are seeing something that we would not, in live vision. This is an area in which photography takes us beyond normal vision.

In fact, if the video shutter speed is too fast when shooting flying birds, a strobing effect may be produced, where the wings appear to be in several places at once. Typically, video of flying birds works best when the fractional number of the shutter speed is no more than about twice the frame rate. If you're shooting such a subject at 30 FPS, a shutter speed of no more than 1/60th-second is best. Then the wingtips will appear blurred in playback, as we would naturally see them.

-- hide signature --
 Stephen McDonald's gear list:Stephen McDonald's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads