NYC Moonrise (9/19/21) and Qs about IQ and Shutter Shock

Started 3 months ago | Photos
S. Miller Senior Member • Posts: 1,082
NYC Moonrise (9/19/21) and Qs about IQ and Shutter Shock

Hi,

I was unable to get shots of the Harvest Moon on 9/20 but went out the day before and got a series of shots of the moonrise over midtown Manhattan. Timing was actually perfect the day before the full moon as the sunset provided a nice glowing effect on the Empire State and other buildings. All shots were with a Sigma 100-400 L mount lens mounted to my SL2-S on a sturdy tripod setup.

I have two questions:

Image Quality:

Given all of the variables I'm about to highlight, is the IQ in the shots below on par with what you would expect from this combo? To the variables...

• I was 14 miles from the city, which was intentional to get the magnified effect you see below. Actually, since I had to crop the image a bit, 10-miles away would have been perfect but there was no elevated viewing point at that distance.
  • Making matters worse, there was a pretty noticeable layer of smog in the air so I was shooting through a ton of crap (technical term).
  • Due to the shutter shock from the 5-bracket sequences I shot (see comment below), the only useable files were the first from each sequence and each of those were about 1.5-2 stops underexposed (so I had to do a fair amount of rescuing in LR).
  • I cropped these to square format. The resulting files ranged from 3000 - 3700 pixels (versus the 4000 native on the short side for SL2-S files)
  • Also, I'm guessing the DPR upload hits the resolution of the files I uploaded. 

Shutter Shock:

You don't see it with these files but for each sequence I took, I did a five frame bracket to give myself the best chance of getting the perfect exposure (either from a single frame or combining in PS). The first shot of each sequence was steady but all other shots in the sequence had what appeared to be massive shutter shock. I (naively?) never expected this as I was shooting with a very sturdy tripod setup and used the Leica photos app to trigger the shutter.

2nd question: Is shutter shock in this setup normal? The shutter speed was either 1/100 or 1/200. It really bummed me out as the moon alignment won't repeat like this over midtown for quite a while.

With all the caveats above, by all means, I encourage any constructive C & C.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I wasn't paying attention to the planes descending into EWR until the very end when I took this last shot (below). After the fact, I went back and saw that I got one when the moon was lower and the flight path was "above" the moon (the shot above). If I was a bit more focused (no pun intended), I'm sure there was a shot with a plane flying through the moon. Doh!

S. Miller's gear list:S. Miller's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +5 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,329
Re: NYC Moonrise (9/19/21) and Qs about IQ and Shutter Shock

I have not had a chance to look at your images, but you might want to check the firmware version on the 100-400.  There was an update earlier this year that addressed shutter shock.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4 +4 more
OP S. Miller Senior Member • Posts: 1,082

georgehudetz wrote:

I have not had a chance to look at your images, but you might want to check the firmware version on the 100-400. There was an update earlier this year that addressed shutter shock.

Thanks, George. I’ll look into that. Is it easy to update firmware in Sigma lenses with a Leica body? Can you do it through the camera or do I need some special Sigma connector?

Steve

Leica Q2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +5 more
georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,329

S. Miller wrote:

georgehudetz wrote:

I have not had a chance to look at your images, but you might want to check the firmware version on the 100-400. There was an update earlier this year that addressed shutter shock.

Thanks, George. I’ll look into that. Is it easy to update firmware in Sigma lenses with a Leica body? Can you do it through the camera or do I need some special Sigma connector?

Steve

I was wondering about that.  You can do it directly from the Panny bodies, but I'm not sure about Leica.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG DN Panasonic Lumix S Pro 16-35mm F4 +4 more

georgehudetz wrote:

S. Miller wrote:

georgehudetz wrote:

Steve

I was wondering about that. You can do it directly from the Panny bodies, but I'm not sure about Leica.

Update: I downloaded the firmware update to an SD card then was able to update the lens through the SL2-S. No issues.

Thanks, George!

Tom Schum
Tom Schum Forum Pro • Posts: 12,087

S. Miller wrote:

You don't see it with these files but for each sequence I took, I did a five frame bracket to give myself the best chance of getting the perfect exposure (either from a single frame or combining in PS). The first shot of each sequence was steady but all other shots in the sequence had what appeared to be massive shutter shock. I (naively?) never expected this as I was shooting with a very sturdy tripod setup and used the Leica photos app to trigger the shutter.

2nd question: Is shutter shock in this setup normal? The shutter speed was either 1/100 or 1/200. It really bummed me out as the moon alignment won't repeat like this over midtown for quite a while.

Stunning images! It was a great idea to shoot from a long way off!

SL2-S has electronic shutter, which will not produce shutter shock. Have you tried it?

Also, if you were using a really steady tripod shouldn't Image Stabilization or Optical Stabilization be turned off (in lens and in camera) ? I have heard that this is worth doing. It won't necessarily solve a shutter shock problem though.

But electronic shutter should, with the shot triggered via a 2 second or 10 second timer.

PS Yesterday I discovered that my Sigma fp L will do the entire 5-shot exposure bracket if I enable the timer, but if I don't do that I have to manually click the shutter for each of the 5 exposures in the bracket. Not sure this matters in your SL2-S though.

-- hide signature --

Tom Schum
"Beware of taking advice from anonymous wise men." Quote from Anon.

Tom Schum's gear list:Tom Schum's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic ZS100 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-E4 +12 more

Tom Schum wrote:

S. Miller wrote:

2nd question: Is shutter shock in this setup normal? The shutter speed was either 1/100 or 1/200. It really bummed me out as the moon alignment won't repeat like this over midtown for quite a while.

Stunning images! It was a great idea to shoot from a long way off!

Thanks! Just wished I avoided the other issues that hit IQ!

SL2-S has electronic shutter, which will not produce shutter shock. Have you tried it?

I didn’t use ES but have since been advised to try it. It makes sense and I’ll try it next time.

Also, if you were using a really steady tripod shouldn't Image Stabilization or Optical Stabilization be turned off (in lens and in camera) ? I have heard that this is worth doing. It won't necessarily solve a shutter shock problem though.

I turned off the lens OIS but forgot to turn off the IBIS. I haven’t had an issue with this (keeping IBIS on even when shooting on a tripod)  in the past with other cameras that had IBIS but it could definitely be a contributing factor.

But electronic shutter should, with the shot triggered via a 2 second or 10 second timer.

PS Yesterday I discovered that my Sigma fp L will do the entire 5-shot exposure bracket if I enable the timer, but if I don't do that I have to manually click the shutter for each of the 5 exposures in the bracket. Not sure this matters in your SL2-S though.

The Leica Fotos app is actually pretty good. I set the bracketing in camera, then touch the shutter button in the app on my phone and it fires off five shots in a row. Next time I’ll just have to remember to test it in Electronic Shutter mode. If that doesn’t work, I’ll just shoot single exposures and manually change the settings (in the app) to get an old school bracketed sequence.

Thanks again for your comments.

Steve

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads