Canon 1D MKIV and SD card problem

Started 3 months ago | Questions
Sports Shooter
Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,550
Canon 1D MKIV and SD card problem

Hi all,

during the last couple of photo shoots my 1D MKIV did not recognize the SD card in the slot. Like there was no SD card in the camera. I tried another card same problem. Switched camera off , removed battery and all ok. It happened again and the same procedure solved the problem. I used the blower to clean the card slot too.

Is this a sign of a potential problem with the camera? Anyone experienced this problem with the 1D MKIV?

Thank you

-- hide signature --

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer,”—Ansel Adams

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +15 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Sue Anne Rush
Sue Anne Rush Senior Member • Posts: 4,156
Re: Canon 1D MKIV and SD card problem

Hello...

Sports Shooter wrote:

Hi all,

during the last couple of photo shoots my 1D MKIV did not recognize the SD card in the slot. Like there was no SD card in the camera. I tried another card same problem. Switched camera off , removed battery and all ok. It happened again and the same procedure solved the problem. I used the blower to clean the card slot too.

Is this a sign of a potential problem with the camera? Anyone experienced this problem with the 1D MKIV?

Thank you

IDK but there might be something problem - can you take it to your nearest photoshop to get looked at?   

-- hide signature --

Sue Anne Rush

Sue Anne Rush's gear list:Sue Anne Rush's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Canon EOS 7D
GreatWhiteWing Senior Member • Posts: 1,543

Sports Shooter wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you

Dang I hate getting old. It was either my refurbed 5D4 or my 7D2 that went back under warranty to replace a bad SC card slot. Worked for a while but then had issues.

As I think about this it was probably the 7D2 but they are very similar cameras except the sensor. Many shared features and perhaps components

GreatWhiteWing's gear list:GreatWhiteWing's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +2 more
1Dx4me
1Dx4me Forum Pro • Posts: 12,392

sounds like a contact pin inside the slot that has gone bad, not making connection outside or inside the drive slot, but not bad enough to go out completely. this something for the technicians at the shop to check and fix, even if you find out the issue through troubleshooting process.

good luck.

-- hide signature --

Nature is under no obligation to make sense to us!!!

3Percent
3Percent Regular Member • Posts: 285
Couple of questions...

Sports Shooter wrote:

Hi all,

Thank you

What size SD card are you using (memory)?

Have you tried using the CF card slot, using a Digigear Wifi CF to SD adapter?

Those are fantastic- highly recommended! Not only are they great, but you can use SD cards with more memory than the 1D Mark IV is rating for- I currently use an 80ms Sandisk Ultra 128GB card! Zero issues. You do need to give the camera about 5 seconds to read the card after you close the card slot door before you turn it on. And of course you'll need to format it immediately because you'll get a pop up about it.

Mine works fantastic, been using it for months on end.

3Percent's gear list:3Percent's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X20 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX10 II +27 more
mmarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,079

1Dx4me wrote:

sounds like a contact pin inside the slot that has gone bad, not making connection outside or inside the drive slot, but not bad enough to go out completely. this something for the technicians at the shop to check and fix, even if you find out the issue through troubleshooting process.

good luck.

This is SD  card he is talking about not CF card with numerous tiny pins. The SD card with flat wide strip contacts does not have pins. I would simply try cleaning the contacts on the card and in the slot with squashed cotton bud dipped in IPA. If you have not used SD card for a long time the contacts might simply be dirty. If this does not help you might need your camera to be looked at by service.

Sports Shooter
OP Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,550

mmarian wrote:

1Dx4me wrote:

good luck.

This is SD card he is talking about not CF card with numerous tiny pins. The SD card with flat wide strip contacts does not have pins. I would simply try cleaning the contacts on the card and in the slot with squashed cotton bud dipped in IPA. If you have not used SD card for a long time the contacts might simply be dirty. If this does not help you might need your camera to be looked at by service.

Hi folks, yes it was the SD card not the CF. I cleaned the contacts at the time of the issue and it works without any problems, so far

-- hide signature --

“There are always two people in every picture: the photographer and the viewer,”—Ansel Adams

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads