Z50 for wildlife?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
DiscoDale Junior Member • Posts: 32
Z50 for wildlife?

Thinking of acquiring Z50 for occasional wildlife/Birdlife shoots and also as second body for  casual use/travel/street.

Thoughts on suitability for birding?

DiscoDale's gear list:DiscoDale's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR
Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
12HT75 Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Z50 for wildlife?

Have a look through here , in particular a user called 'arbitrage', some good results.

12HT75's gear list:12HT75's gear list
Pentax K-r Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR HD Pentax DA AF 1.4X AW Rear Converter Pentax FA 150-450mm F4.5-5.6
BGD300V1
BGD300V1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,192

works for me. These are with the 50-250mm

Original

First crop of pair

Roseate Spoonbill cropped alond

Original Cormorant BIF

Cropped from above

It's the kit I keep in the car for opportunity shots.

BTW, I also have the Z6, Z7 and 200-500mm this kit isn't up to them but I find the results good and it's always ready to go.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photographer, Jim, not a graphic artist!
My photo blog: http://birdsnbugs.com
RF Stock Portfolio - http://www.dreamstime.com/resp129611

BGD300V1's gear list:BGD300V1's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E +7 more
ANAYV Forum Pro • Posts: 21,924

DiscoDale wrote:

Thinking of acquiring Z50 for occasional wildlife/Birdlife shoots and also as second body for casual use/travel/street.

Indeed it is good for wildlife. Not the best tool for the job...but its capable..even BIF

Dont be afraid of using higher ISO...which will be needed with slowish kit lens

Last two shots taken at ISO 16,000

Stay healthy

ANAYV

PerL Forum Pro • Posts: 14,458

DiscoDale wrote:

Thinking of acquiring Z50 for occasional wildlife/Birdlife shoots and also as second body for casual use/travel/street.

I haven't done much birding, but since it so light I usually carry it whith the 50-250 lens when doing walks at our country house, where you often see wildlife.

bluzman
bluzman Senior Member • Posts: 1,260

DiscoDale wrote:

The Z50 is a very capable and versatile camera.

bluzman's gear list:bluzman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II Nikon D7500 Nikon Z50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Nikon D500 +16 more
Brueghel
Brueghel Senior Member • Posts: 1,246
A large Yes and a small No

DiscoDale wrote:

The examples on this thread are all excellent. ANAYV in particular has some spectacular results.

But you should also consider :

1- the lens they used (the ones I checked did not have this info). The lens chosen is extremely important (in my uneducated eyes I believe the lens contributes to 60 to 65% of the IQ)

2- the % of keepers (compared with mirror cameras)

I do not believe your overall results will be as good as the ones you would get with a D500 eg. Probably on par with a D7500

The AF does not perform very well in some circumstances (a busy forest in the background eg) but does a good job on a clear day with a nice blue sky behind.

Also: max shutter speed is 1/4000 not 1/8000. It will make a difference in some cases (some ducks fly in an extremely agitated fashion :-))))

More importantly: the Z50's initial reaction is much slower than the D7xx. There are tricks to keep it awake and kicking longer but the almost instantaneous response time of a mirror camera is gone. I have missed many opportunities because of that. You just cant keep half pressing the shutter button all the time...

So.......

My assessment is that it is anywhere from OK to good for birds. This has more to do with mirrorless than with the Z50 per se.

==========

This said: I love my Z50 and do not regret at all having bought it. I lost a bit of quality on the BIF side but for all the other use cases (including birds nice sitting somewhere), it is great.

Brueghel's gear list:Brueghel's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D7100 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Micro-Nikkor 85mm f/3.5G ED VR +4 more
Aymeric b Junior Member • Posts: 33

I use mainly my z50 for bif and wildlife. It's a very good camera for its price. It's a very good combo for the the price with the 50-250mm. If you want more light, it works very well with the 70-200z + TC 1.4.

Aymeric b's gear list:Aymeric b's gear list
Nikon Z6
Gianpaolo Forum Member • Posts: 69
Re: A large Yes and a small No

I agree with you. On august I used my D500 and Z50 for bird pictures including BIF, I used both with a Tamron 150-600 G2

With static subject there is no problem, Z50 works fine.

BIF, the D500 is lightning fast to lock the subject and keep it in focus, Z50 needs more time to lock and during a burst of 5 you may get only 1 or 2 pics with good focus. I also had the D7500 and I think it was was more reliable with BIF.

Maybe the problem is the Tamron, I noticed that when mounted on Z50 from about 300mm to 600 moves focus ring moves very slowly and takes some seconds to cover entire range.

Anyway I like the Z50 and some really good pictures.

Brueghel wrote:

But you should also consider :

1- the lens they used (the ones I checked did not have this info). The lens chosen is extremely important (in my uneducated eyes I believe the lens contributes to 60 to 65% of the IQ)

2- the % of keepers (compared with mirror cameras)

I do not believe your overall results will be as good as the ones you would get with a D500 eg. Probably on par with a D7500

The AF does not perform very well in some circumstances (a busy forest in the background eg) but does a good job on a clear day with a nice blue sky behind.

Also: max shutter speed is 1/4000 not 1/8000. It will make a difference in some cases (some ducks fly in an extremely agitated fashion :-))))

More importantly: the Z50's initial reaction is much slower than the D7xx. There are tricks to keep it awake and kicking longer but the almost instantaneous response time of a mirror camera is gone. I have missed many opportunities because of that. You just cant keep half pressing the shutter button all the time...

So.......

My assessment is that it is anywhere from OK to good for birds. This has more to do with mirrorless than with the Z50 per se.

==========

This said: I love my Z50 and do not regret at all having bought it. I lost a bit of quality on the BIF side but for all the other use cases (including birds nice sitting somewhere), it is great.

Gianpaolo's gear list:Gianpaolo's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
Toxdox42 Regular Member • Posts: 497

DiscoDale wrote:

I am no pro, have used Nikon film cameras and then ventured into digital with a D3400.  When I planned on an African Safari, and decided to bring 2 bodies, I made the plunge and bought the Z50 with the kit lenses.  I kept the 50-250 on the Z and the 18-55 on the D.  I was flabbergasted at how easy it was to use the Z50, even our guide, who carried a pro-Nikon DSLR was impressed with the results from the Z.  These are all from the safari, all shot with the 50-250 on the Z50

Toxdox42's gear list:Toxdox42's gear list
Nikon D3400 Nikon Z50
TheWillRogers
TheWillRogers Regular Member • Posts: 271

ANAYV always provides great samples of the Z50 for wildlife. I'll throw some of mine in too I guess. I'm not super interested in birds in flight so I haven't been too bothered by the iffy AF on the 50-250mm kit lens for very distant subjects. Most of what I'm interested in is walking slowly or standing still so I've even been experimenting with older 300mm ED glass. At the moment my perfect Z dx camera is a Z5 with two processors and the Z50 sensor lol,

Most of the time the AF with the 50-250mm is good, but sometimes I've noticed it favoring grass, and the subject tracking tends to get confused and eventually walk off the subject needing me to reset it.

Tree Swallow

Coypu 12800 ISO!!!

Ground Squirrel of some kind, Nikon 300mm ED*IF, possibly with TC-14b, but I can't remember.

Coyote

Red Squirrel?

TheWillRogers's gear list:TheWillRogers's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR Nikon Z 16-50mm F3.5-6.3 VR Nikon Z 50-250mm F4.5-6.3 VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads