90mm perspectives - A6600/SEL90M28G

Started 2 months ago | Photos
philzucker
philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,564
90mm perspectives - A6600/SEL90M28G

Here a look at some very different perspectives the SEL90M28G can provide on the A6600.

#1: A site building fence - MF, f4.0.

#2: First fall coloring - f2.8.

#3: The garden gnome - f3.5, heavy crop.

#4: Sun stars - f18:

#5: Sky reflection - f5:

#6: Staircase - f2.8:

#7: Padlocks - f2.8:

#8: Autumn leaf - f2.8.

#9: The walkers - f3.2.

#10: Lavender - f2.8.

All taken within one hour. By this photographer:

Phil

-- hide signature --
davelok
davelok Senior Member • Posts: 2,415
Re: 90mm perspectives - A6600/SEL90M28G

Very tempting.

davelok's gear list:davelok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6400 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +23 more
philzucker
OP philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,564
Thanks - and some observations about the lens
  • davelok wrote:

Very tempting.

Indeed it is. Some observations on using the SEL90M28G on the A6600:

- The lens balances very good on the A6600. Really doesn't feel to big or anything

- Switching to MF is very straightforward with the push/pull focusing ring - very nice to have

- The high pitched focusing sound can be slightly annoying in very quiet environments, like at home; in the field with normal background noise I don't notice it at all.

- Focusing speed could be a tad faster ... I'm really spoiled by the focus speed of lenses like the 16-55/2.8 or 200-600. The SEL90M28G definitely doesn't match those.

- AF can be - as always - problematic in low contrast situations and with small focus points. I was for example not able to get a reliable focus lock taking the building fence pic of the original post in this thread, had to switch to manual there.

- Bokeh is nice too if the lens is stopped down. Here the leaf picture in two variants - top f2.8, bottom f5.6:

- No complaints about correction for lateral CA, but longitudinal CA wide open can be visible in high contrast situations if the lens is used wide open; here a somewhat unfair example, detail of a white feather taken at a very strong angle at f2.8:

Does that info qualify your temptation?

Thanks for looking and your comment!

Phil

-- hide signature --
davelok
davelok Senior Member • Posts: 2,415
Re: Thanks - and some observations about the lens

Hey Phil, good points. Some comments from me below.

philzucker wrote:

- Focusing speed could be a tad faster ... I'm really spoiled by the focus speed of lenses like the 16-55/2.8 or 200-600. The SEL90M28G definitely doesn't match those.

I think this is a common characteristic of macro lenses. Firstly, the focus throw at close distances is much longer as compared to longer distances anyways, and secondly the lens needs to be accurate.

- AF can be - as always - problematic in low contrast situations and with small focus points. I was for example not able to get a reliable focus lock taking the building fence pic of the original post in this thread, had to switch to manual there.

While it won't help composition, you could try switching to portrait mode, as On-sensor PDAF does not have cross-type focus points as far as I know. Changing the orientation can help in finding focus.

Does that info qualify your temptation?

No, only my bank balance does

Thanks for looking and your comment!

Anytime!

Phil

davelok's gear list:davelok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6400 Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM +23 more
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

Interesting, thanks for sharing these, as I'm very interested in this lens. But don't you shoot any macros with it?  

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony a6500 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
philzucker
OP philzucker Veteran Member • Posts: 9,564

Dick Barbour wrote:

Interesting, thanks for sharing these, as I'm very interested in this lens.

Glad to share them - and thanks for looking and for your comment!

But don't you shoot any macros with it?

Before I explored the possibilities of the lens in other situations I indeed shot macros with it - have a look at these two posts here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65481084

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65489260

Phil

-- hide signature --
Dick Barbour
Dick Barbour Senior Member • Posts: 1,443

philzucker wrote:

Dick Barbour wrote:

Interesting, thanks for sharing these, as I'm very interested in this lens.

Glad to share them - and thanks for looking and for your comment!

But don't you shoot any macros with it?

Before I explored the possibilities of the lens in other situations I indeed shot macros with it - have a look at these two posts here:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65481084

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65489260

Phil

Very nice, thanks.

Dick Barbour's gear list:Dick Barbour's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Sony a6500 Sony a6600 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads