Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Antonio Chagin
Antonio Chagin Regular Member • Posts: 129
Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

So I went shooting today with a borrow Canon 70-200 2.8 II and the GFX 100S using a Kipon auto adapter, 35mm setting, EF-E Front Curtain Shutter. I use several combinations of shutter speed and f stop at ISO 500. The following shot was 180mm F8 1/500sec ISO 500. For all the shots I use Continous IBIS and the IS #2 on the lens. The result is funny, some parts of the image are sharp and others are blurry.

For the rest of the flight, I used F5.6 and 1/2000 -1 stop EV and the results are excellent.

So my question is, what is happening in the blurry areas, was it IBIS fault or IS on lens fault or both.

180mm F8 1/500sec ISO 500. For all the shots I use Continous IBIS and the IS #2 on the lens

Antonio Chagin
OP Antonio Chagin Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

This is a better example, See inside the circle.

JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 36,087
Re: Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.
1

Antonio Chagin wrote:

This is a better example, See inside the circle.

Thermal atmospheric effects?

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Antonio Chagin
OP Antonio Chagin Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

JimKasson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

This is a better example, See inside the circle.

Thermal atmospheric effects?

I didn’t think of it, that could be an answer.

I don’t usually shoot with teles from the air.

Jared Willson Senior Member • Posts: 1,363
Re: Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

Antonio Chagin wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

This is a better example, See inside the circle.

Thermal atmospheric effects?

I didn’t think of it, that could be an answer.

I don’t usually shoot with teles from the air.

Almost has to be. It would be very difficult for anything IBIS or OIS related to effect one small part of the image near the middle differently from the rest of the image. All the tip/tilt mechanisms apply to the entire image circle. And if you were shooting from a helicopter or plane, for example, rather than just a balcony, there are tons of heat plumes coming off various parts of the aircraft could easily be localized, even at moderate focal lengths. Even if this is just a balcony, I'd go with thermal atmospheric effects. They are much more commonly an issue that most people think.

 Jared Willson's gear list:Jared Willson's gear list
Leica Q2 Leica SL2 Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica SL 90-280mm F2.8–4 Hasselblad XCD 30mm F3.5 +8 more
Antonio Chagin
OP Antonio Chagin Regular Member • Posts: 129
Re: Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

Jared Willson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

This is a better example, See inside the circle.

Thermal atmospheric effects?

I didn’t think of it, that could be an answer.

I don’t usually shoot with teles from the air.

Almost has to be. It would be very difficult for anything IBIS or OIS related to effect one small part of the image near the middle differently from the rest of the image. All the tip/tilt mechanisms apply to the entire image circle. And if you were shooting from a helicopter or plane, for example, rather than just a balcony, there are tons of heat plumes coming off various parts of the aircraft could easily be localized, even at moderate focal lengths. Even if this is just a balcony, I'd go with thermal atmospheric effects. They are much more commonly an issue that most people think.

This is very helpful and clarifies the issue. Thanks.

JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 36,087
Re: Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

Antonio Chagin wrote:

Jared Willson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

This is a better example, See inside the circle.

Thermal atmospheric effects?

I didn’t think of it, that could be an answer.

I don’t usually shoot with teles from the air.

Almost has to be. It would be very difficult for anything IBIS or OIS related to effect one small part of the image near the middle differently from the rest of the image. All the tip/tilt mechanisms apply to the entire image circle. And if you were shooting from a helicopter or plane, for example, rather than just a balcony, there are tons of heat plumes coming off various parts of the aircraft could easily be localized, even at moderate focal lengths. Even if this is just a balcony, I'd go with thermal atmospheric effects. They are much more commonly an issue that most people think.

This is very helpful and clarifies the issue. Thanks.

Note the AC heat exchangers on the roofs of the center group of buildings.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
MOD Doppler9000 Contributing Member • Posts: 579
Re: Question for the experts. GFX 100S IBIS related.

JimKasson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

Jared Willson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Antonio Chagin wrote:

This is a better example, See inside the circle.

Thermal atmospheric effects?

I didn’t think of it, that could be an answer.

I don’t usually shoot with teles from the air.

Almost has to be. It would be very difficult for anything IBIS or OIS related to effect one small part of the image near the middle differently from the rest of the image. All the tip/tilt mechanisms apply to the entire image circle. And if you were shooting from a helicopter or plane, for example, rather than just a balcony, there are tons of heat plumes coming off various parts of the aircraft could easily be localized, even at moderate focal lengths. Even if this is just a balcony, I'd go with thermal atmospheric effects. They are much more commonly an issue that most people think.

This is very helpful and clarifies the issue. Thanks.

Note the AC heat exchangers on the roofs of the center group of buildings.

Excellent point.

Could be 300+ units, hot humid weather.  Lots of very hot, very moist air being released, could be fairly continuously when ambient is, say, 28/82+ (C/F).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads