Glass dome prices?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Currantos Senior Member • Posts: 1,448
Glass dome prices?

I just tried finding some replacements for the glass domes that go over the flashtube.

Prices? Out of this world, some over $200.

No way.

Wow

Nikonparrothead Veteran Member • Posts: 5,931
Re: Glass dome prices?

Glass domes for which brands?

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic LX100 Nikon Coolpix A +16 more
Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 16,000

It depends on the brand, but those sort of prices sound like you are looking for replacement domes  for Profoto Pro series heads.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,256

I am in the same boat, I have a b600 flash head that I bought with no glass globe and I refuse to pay $180. I have been watching the forums for used and eBay but no luck so far.

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more

B600? Again what brand?

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Panasonic LX100 Nikon Coolpix A +16 more
tcphoto1
tcphoto1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,256

Profoto Acute

tcphoto1's gear list:tcphoto1's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon 85mm F1.4L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +10 more

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 16,000

Ellis Vener wrote:

It depends on the brand, but those sort of prices sound like you are looking for replacement domes for Profoto Pro series heads.

Have you looked into buying a used Acute head on eBay? It might be less expensive  than buying a new dome by itself and you’d have other spare parts like an extra modeling light, flashtube, and cap as well.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener
A working photographer since 1984.
To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II +1 more
antares103 Senior Member • Posts: 1,288

Currantos wrote:

I just tried finding some replacements for the glass domes that go over the flashtube.

No way.

Wow

yeah, but I bet shipping is free.

-- hide signature --

Film is a four letter word

antares103's gear list:antares103's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 NEX5R Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Snapseed +1 more
Simon Barker Contributing Member • Posts: 939

Only way you're getting cheaper new is by buying a Phoxene but other than that as has already been suggested, buy a used head.

Ed Shapiro
Ed Shapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 591

Replacing the dome or outer protective envelope of a flash tube could be problematic for several reasons. If the modelling lamp is also enclosed in the dome it has to be made of Pyrex or another brand of heat-resistant glass and some are ventilated through a number of holes. They are not necessary of a standard size (height and diameter), some are UV coated and others are frosted or made of an opal-like glass for additional defusion.

The tubes are not usually manufactured by the same makers at the flash units they are fitted. Years ago, most of the domestically made flash units had flash tums made by Amglo or Kemlight and some replacement envelopes were available for those companies; See this link- they may stock parts or it may be more economical to buy a new tube.

XENON FLASHLAMPS - Amglo

I have had to replace several broken or missing domes. I have transplanted or scavenged them for burned-out flash tubes, By overnight soaking the base of the dead tube in alcohol or lacquer thinner, the glue is released and the dom can be re-glued on the damaged tube.

I cases where there was no enclosed modelling lamp or heat issues, I have improvised domes with a jar or ordinary drinking glass.

In digital work, there is no need for UV coating.

If the function of the dome is not difussion, but just to protect the tube and prevent electrical shock from toucingh the electrodes in the tube, y can use the flash tube without an outer envelope. You can install a diffusion sheet or a sheet of Plexiglas on the reflector and use the tube as is. If the lamp head is used in a softbox, it can be used without the outer dome.

It seems they are lots of use, new, used and vintage flash tubes listed on eBay.

Here is another source to check out:

Replacement Light Bulbs-Discontinued and hard to find Flash Tubes

Ed Shapiro- Commercial and Portrait Photographer. Ottawa, Ontario Canada

rumple
rumple Senior Member • Posts: 1,769

Currantos wrote:

No way.

Wow

Ouch.  Now, if you were using PCB products, for example, the pyrex dome on the E640 is $9.95 plus shipping.

-- hide signature --

"THINK" - Watson

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads