problem with black showing in yellow while doing nozzle check.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
woodman-46 New Member • Posts: 3
problem with black showing in yellow while doing nozzle check.

Hello,

I have a Epson p600 and when it has been standing for a few days or so unused and I do a nozzle check there always seems to be black in the yellow nozzle printing area.

If I do a few head cleans it seems to sort it but obvious all of this uses up a lot of ink across the board of colours.

Any suggestions please why this black is constantly there in the yellowand how I might solve it for good.

Thanks in advance James

Nikon Coolpix P600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Vernon D Rainwater Forum Pro • Posts: 14,585
Re: problem with black showing in yellow while doing nozzle check.

woodman-46 wrote:

Hello,

I have a Epson p600 and when it has been standing for a few days or so unused and I do a nozzle check there always seems to be black in the yellow nozzle printing area.

If I do a few head cleans it seems to sort it but obvious all of this uses up a lot of ink across the board of colours.

Any suggestions please why this black is constantly there in the yellowand how I might solve it for good.

Thanks in advance James

You may be interested in thread at link below unless you have already reviewed it.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65483883

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 6,454

You may be interested in thread at link below unless you have already reviewed it.

Yep, I was going to say the same thing. Having the yellow channel get polluted with black ink anecdotally seems to be a classic Epson head failure mode. I'm not saying that's what is happening to your printer, only that it seems to be the most likely issue. If so, then there is probably no economical repair.

There certainly may be other potential causes, and you should try at least some basic things. Given the serious repercussions, just off the top of my head--and I'm certainly no expert on this--it seems worthwhile to ask: have you checked that all of the ink cartridges are properly and fully seated? Are you using genuine Epson ink cartridges filled new at Epson, or are you refilling empty Epson cartridges, or are you refilling using third-party cartridges? Have you opened the printer and looked for ink pooled or sitting where it should not be, and cleaned any that you found?

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Yep, I was going to say the same thing. Having the yellow channel get polluted with black ink anecdotally seems to be a classic Epson head failure mode. I'm not saying that's what is happening to your printer, only that it seems to be the most likely issue. If so, then there is probably no economical repair.

There certainly may be other potential causes, and you should try at least some basic things. Given the serious repercussions, just off the top of my head--and I'm certainly no expert on this--it seems worthwhile to ask: have you checked that all of the ink cartridges are properly and fully seated? Are you using genuine Epson ink cartridges filled new at Epson, or are you refilling empty Epson cartridges, or are you refilling using third-party cartridges? Have you opened the printer and looked for ink pooled or sitting where it should not be, and cleaned any that you found?

What I posted took care of the R800 printer for me. The "Sucking OUT" was suggested by a Forum Member as a reply to one of my past inquiries. Different but it worked.

Edit to add:  Now I remember subject of the thread:  I could not get a good nozzle check (regardless of the many things I used to get this cleared) for the Matte Black channel.  It continued to show either top or bottom half (don't remember which) that had NO ink.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,143
A word of caution with this suggested cleaning procedure.......

The ink cartridges for the R800 sit on top of the print head.  The ink path from the cartridge to the nozzles is extremely short.  The syringe cleaning method of back sucking will work without any damage.

The P600 ink flow path is very long - cartridges go to a cartridge holder that is underneath the carts, there is a U shaped ink channel with a very thin mylar film heat sealed on the top of the U channel, on  to the ink feed lines to the damper U shaped channel feed plate with again a thin mylar film heat sealed on the top of the U channels, then to the dampers and on to the print head nozzles.  Back sucking with a syringe can get air into the print head and dampers which is a bear to remove on a P600, usually takes the Ink Initialization Mode of the Epson Service Adjustment program which will consumes about 40% of all your ink colors.  Now if one forgets, or tries, to pressurize the ink feed system with a syringe you can burst/lift the mylar film heat sealed to the 2 U shaped ink feed channels rendering the printer useless .

Vernon, your 3880 has the same exact ink feed system as the P600 so a word of caution if you ever attempt back suck, or pressurize using a syringe.

Bob P.

Re: A word of caution with this suggested cleaning procedure.......

Petruska wrote:

The ink cartridges for the R800 sit on top of the print head. The ink path from the cartridge to the nozzles is extremely short. The syringe cleaning method of back sucking will work without any damage.

The P600 ink flow path is very long - cartridges go to a cartridge holder that is underneath the carts, there is a U shaped ink channel with a very thin mylar film heat sealed on the top of the U channel, on to the ink feed lines to the damper U shaped channel feed plate with again a thin mylar film heat sealed on the top of the U channels, then to the dampers and on to the print head nozzles. Back sucking with a syringe can get air into the print head and dampers which is a bear to remove on a P600, usually takes the Ink Initialization Mode of the Epson Service Adjustment program which will consumes about 40% of all your ink colors. Now if one forgets, or tries, to pressurize the ink feed system with a syringe you can burst/lift the mylar film heat sealed to the 2 U shaped ink feed channels rendering the printer useless .

Vernon, your 3880 has the same exact ink feed system as the P600 so a word of caution if you ever attempt back suck, or pressurize using a syringe.

Bob P.

Thanks Bob.  I of course have never had even a clogged nozzle on my 3880 so as a result, I have never researched any of this type details for it.  Your comment and caution is really appreciated.

My even older printers are a different story all together since I have had many experiences with them.  I try to always mention the specific printer I have when I make any comment trying to help someone--  based on my experiences.

I do know that printers with the feed lines are completely different than those with Cartridges being held basically just above the print head.

-- hide signature --

Vernon...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads