Sony DSC HX-99 vs Nikon A1000 vs Panasonic ZS80

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
hobsonp New Member • Posts: 16
Sony DSC HX-99 vs Nikon A1000 vs Panasonic ZS80

My teen son needs a camera to avoid borrowing his mom's late-model cell phone for that purpose.  He's not willing to pay $750-1000+ for a late-model phone himself, but has a budget <$500 for a camera.  As a photog, I rooted for a larger sensor, but he wants something compact and I can appreciate that because I don't keep my bigger camera on me as much as most people keep their phones on them.

We found the:

HX-99

A1000

ZS80

and they all have 1/2.3" sensors and similar specs.  He wants 4k video (cell phone equivalent, high frame rate or external audio not required), slow-mo (HD ok), time-lapse, panoramas and other stuff phone cameras do.

Compared to phone cameras, he should get better battery performance and better telephoto focal lengths.  I'm not sure anything else will be better.

The cameras I've listed have small sensors and it's not hard to get nearly 800mm equivalent focal lengths, but only with a tiny aperature and with such a small sensor, it's more a novelty than anything.

My son has used a Sony DSC RX100 version 1 a lot and we were all disappointed with the low-light performance.  It was poor except outdoors in bright light.  That was a 1" sensor.  It went up to ISO 6400 but didn't have what it takes to perform well, at least by today's standards.  My son admitted that cell phone images in low light do look kind of fake (highly processed).

Will one of these small sensor cameras match or best current cell phone cameras in a similarly easy-to-carry form factor?  My son does not do social media, not a youtuber, doesn't snapchat or instagram.  He uses a camera for travel (cities like San Francisco, Ontario, D.C., Hawaii, Yellowstone, Yosemite), backpacking, hiking, events like air shows (the static displays where you don't need a super tele), family-event photos like birthdays, holidays, and so on.

If these small sensor cameras are good, which one is recommended?

If something else will work better, what?

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
aKansasKid Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Sony DSC HX-99 vs Nikon A1000 vs Panasonic ZS80

Based on reviews and their photos, a Google Pixel 4a has a very good camera and is $349. I can guarantee you that it will take pictures like a phone camera, and that seems to be the criterion you've given for your son.

But if he really is wanting long zoom, then Mom's phone nor this Pixel were never really options. The reviews I've read would give the edge to the ZS80, but I've not used any of these three. Perhaps others have.

These long zoom compacts all have 1/2.3" sensors, so low light performance is going to be worse than the Sony R100 he used.

Each option is better at something:

RX100 - image quality, modest zoom

Modern phone - low light performance , no zoom

Compact superzooms: telephoto, poorest low light performance

He'll needed to prioritize.

lehill
lehill Veteran Member • Posts: 6,383

hobsonp wrote:

I don't know if it meets all your requirements - but maybe a used Lumix LX100 (original version).

-- hide signature --

Lance H

lehill's gear list:lehill's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +30 more
Booted Cat
Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,773

Read my study here:

The A1000 beats them all (SX740, ZS80, HX99)!: Nikon Coolpix Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com)

hobsonp wrote:

My teen son needs a camera to avoid borrowing his mom's late-model cell phone for that purpose. He's not willing to pay $750-1000+ for a late-model phone himself, but has a budget <$500 for a camera. As a photog, I rooted for a larger sensor, but he wants something compact and I can appreciate that because I don't keep my bigger camera on me as much as most people keep their phones on them.

We found the:

HX-99

A1000

ZS80

and they all have 1/2.3" sensors and similar specs. He wants 4k video (cell phone equivalent, high frame rate or external audio not required), slow-mo (HD ok), time-lapse, panoramas and other stuff phone cameras do.

Compared to phone cameras, he should get better battery performance and better telephoto focal lengths. I'm not sure anything else will be better.

The cameras I've listed have small sensors and it's not hard to get nearly 800mm equivalent focal lengths, but only with a tiny aperature and with such a small sensor, it's more a novelty than anything.

My son has used a Sony DSC RX100 version 1 a lot and we were all disappointed with the low-light performance. It was poor except outdoors in bright light. That was a 1" sensor. It went up to ISO 6400 but didn't have what it takes to perform well, at least by today's standards. My son admitted that cell phone images in low light do look kind of fake (highly processed).

Will one of these small sensor cameras match or best current cell phone cameras in a similarly easy-to-carry form factor? My son does not do social media, not a youtuber, doesn't snapchat or instagram. He uses a camera for travel (cities like San Francisco, Ontario, D.C., Hawaii, Yellowstone, Yosemite), backpacking, hiking, events like air shows (the static displays where you don't need a super tele), family-event photos like birthdays, holidays, and so on.

If these small sensor cameras are good, which one is recommended?

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads