Will the M6 ii be getting bird-bird eye autofocus (via a firmware)?

Started 2 months ago | Questions
jimbrobb Contributing Member • Posts: 734
Will the M6 ii be getting bird-bird eye autofocus (via a firmware)?

Would be nice!

Jim

jimbrobb's gear list:jimbrobb's gear list
Panasonic Leica 200mm F2.8
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS M6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,892
No

Canon generally only ever provides performance enhancements via firmware for the high end "pro" bodies.  This would be the 7D series crop bodies and all of the full frame bodies.  The original M is one of the rare exceptions, but that was because the original AF was just so bad.

Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,695
Re: No

nnowak wrote:

Canon generally only ever provides performance enhancements via firmware for the high end "pro" bodies. This would be the 7D series crop bodies and all of the full frame bodies. The original M is one of the rare exceptions, but that was because the original AF was just so bad.

Agree. Sadly it seems Animal Eye AF is not a bundle with Digic 8, which is what the R, RP and M6II all have. Maybe it's a technical constraint. I hope I'm wrong.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
KevinRA Contributing Member • Posts: 829
No

(nt)

KevinRA's gear list:KevinRA's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM +11 more
istscott
istscott Regular Member • Posts: 378
Re: Will the M6 ii be getting bird-bird eye autofocus (via a firmware)?

Everyone's best bet on getting any type of firmware update for the M6ii is to contact Canon in your area and ask. Then they can forward that into Canon Japan. Unlikely we will get anything, but doing that is better than nothing. I had sent feedback about eye AF to Canon USA. No idea if they did anything because I didn't get a response for that one, lol.

ken_in_nh Senior Member • Posts: 1,904

Anyone who expects anything new or good to happen to anything in the M system is a real optimist!

Based on the total silence regarding the M system by Canon since the release of the M50 ii a year ago, I think most of us see the writing on the wall so to speak.  And the last update to the flagship M6ii just fixed a firmware bug.

The M system is a good example of WYSIWYG.  Nothing more.

Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,695

ken_in_nh wrote:

Anyone who expects anything new or good to happen to anything in the M system is a real optimist!

Based on the total silence regarding the M system by Canon since the release of the M50 ii a year ago, I think most of us see the writing on the wall so to speak. And the last update to the flagship M6ii just fixed a firmware bug.

The M system is a good example of WYSIWYG. Nothing more.

Quite sadly, I think you're correct.

-- hide signature --

"Photography is therapeutic."
https://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS R Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads