7Artisans 25mm f/0.95 APS-C Lens

Started Sep 20, 2021 | Discussions
Kirwin
Kirwin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,395
7Artisans 25mm f/0.95 APS-C Lens

This lens really intrigues me…

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/7artisans-has-announced-the-new-25mm-f-0-95-aps-c-e-lens/

Beautiful images captured with the lens. Almost film-like…

https://hilbertwith7artisans.mystrikingly.com/blog/new-arrival-7artisans-25mm-f0-95

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kirwin

Kirwin's gear list:Kirwin's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD Tokina atx-m 23mm F1.4 +2 more
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,606
Re: 7Artisans 25mm f/0.95 APS-C Lens

Those shots are lit beautifully. Though 25 mm is a nice focal length.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
theworstphotographerontheinternet Contributing Member • Posts: 690

I think this lens looks like a lot of fun! I'm not sure whether or not I'll actually buy one (I've had a few fast MF primes, and I feel like I've settled on my favourites now), but it's certainly tempting. Shame it doesn't have a clicky aperture ring though.

theworstphotographerontheinternet's gear list:theworstphotographerontheinternet's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN Sony FE 24mm F2.8 G Sigma 18-50mm F2.8
REDunnLev
REDunnLev Contributing Member • Posts: 724

The lens looks really nice.  For the right price it would be fun to play with.  However, I do not have a need for another lens in the 20-35mm range.  I wish I could justify it.

REDunnLev's gear list:REDunnLev's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
theworstphotographerontheinternet Contributing Member • Posts: 690

REDunnLev wrote:

The lens looks really nice. For the right price it would be fun to play with. However, I do not have a need for another lens in the 20-35mm range. I wish I could justify it.

Same here. 7Artisans have been charging a little more for their lenses lately, it seems to me. I'd guess this will launch at around £250, which I couldn't justify. If it's closer to half that (as some of their older fast primes have been) than I'd probably go for it. But I don't think it'll be that cheap.

theworstphotographerontheinternet's gear list:theworstphotographerontheinternet's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN Sony FE 24mm F2.8 G Sigma 18-50mm F2.8
Bender79ita
Bender79ita Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

An intresting exercise, but I can't think of a real world use for stills. Too tight for astrophotography, maybe a little too wide for subject photography (but definately an option we could use in the studio), perhaps for some street photography while making use of the large aperture but you really need spot-on timing or a massive fps burst to get a walking subject in focus, even in the distance.

Other than "test shots" with super thin depth of field I have no idea how this lens could open new types of photography or improve on what I do...

The shots on the page look really good, but honestly they would have looked great with most other lenses too.

Perhaps a great lens to shoot video with?

Bender79ita's gear list:Bender79ita's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 IV Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE +1 more
joslocum Senior Member • Posts: 1,799

Most of the images look soft to me.  "Film-like" as the OP says.

Guess it depends on price.

Kirwin
OP Kirwin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,395

Bender79ita wrote:

An intresting exercise, but I can't think of a real world use for stills. Too tight for astrophotography, maybe a little too wide for subject photography (but definately an option we could use in the studio), perhaps for some street photography while making use of the large aperture but you really need spot-on timing or a massive fps burst to get a walking subject in focus, even in the distance.

Perhaps indeed… I was thinking twilight/night street photography and even indoor venues, but your right about needing to have the skills to anticipate when your subject is in focus. Af would be nice on a lens such as this.

Other than "test shots" with super thin depth of field I have no idea how this lens could open new types of photography or improve on what I do...

The shots on the page look really good, but honestly they would have looked great with most other lenses too.

I like how the lens portrays light in the out of focus areas…

Perhaps a great lens to shoot video with?

Being clickless would appeal to videographers.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kirwin

Sony a6600 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD Tokina atx-m 23mm F1.4 +2 more
Kirwin
OP Kirwin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,395

Starny wrote:

Most of the images look soft to me. "Film-like" as the OP says.

Guess it depends on price.

I enjoy sharp images as much as the next person.

Though sometimes we're taken aback when we see something beautifully captured… and it was done by breaking the norm.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kirwin

REDunnLev
REDunnLev Contributing Member • Posts: 724

I think the focal length is perfect for everyday use.  However, the manual focus is  no go for a walk around lens.

I can also think of a few good uses for the f/0.95 aperture.  The main issue with this lens is that for the focal length, I cannot deal with the manual focus.

REDunnLev's gear list:REDunnLev's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a6500 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
Bender79ita
Bender79ita Senior Member • Posts: 1,719

Kirwin wrote:

Perhaps indeed… I was thinking twilight/night street photography and even indoor venues, but your right about needing to have the skills to anticipate when your subject is in focus. Af would be nice on a lens such as this.

Well that's the thing... it's only MF I actually like MF on ultra wide, but on standard focal lengths mmm...

I like how the lens portrays light in the out of focus areas…

Somewhat reminiscent of vintage prime lenses (similar to the chinese 55 f1.4 that I use with macro rings)

Being clickless would appeal to videographers.

Oh yes, I'm sure our videographer would love it I will ask if he's intrested, but he's worried about budget more than me for some reason lol

Bender79ita's gear list:Bender79ita's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 IV Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Samyang AF 45mm F1.8 FE +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads