Canon 300mm F4 odd ERR 01

Started 3 months ago | Questions
JohnGillity New Member • Posts: 9
Canon 300mm F4 odd ERR 01

I have just acquired an 'as new' Canon 300mm F4 lens. It works fine with an R6 plus adapter and with or without a Canon 1.4 extender With a 7D II it works fine with a 1.4 extender.

BUT if I mount it directly onto the 7D MK ii I get the dreaded ERR01. The 7D MK ii works fine with other lenses with or without extenders including Sigma extenders on a Sigma 300mm F2.

Fortunately I bought the 300mm F4 to use with an extender so for the moment it is annoying but not catastrophic.

The pins in the camera mount seem OK and travel freely in and out and the contacts on the 300mm are unworn. Any suggestions/ thoughts out there would be most welcome?

JohnGillity's gear list:JohnGillity's gear list
Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,221
Re: Canon 300mm F4 odd ERR 01

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens with a bit of alcohol ( isopropyl alcohol , not beer ! )

If it looks good as new , lack of use could have allowed the surface to tarnish / oxidise .

It's odd though that it works well with the extenders and on you R5 via an adapter .

It seems to me the reason it looks new is because the previous owner also had this problem using it on his camera , so sold it as "as new " and just kept the fact it's a bit iffy quite !

It's possible there's an issue with the lenses chip and it needs replacing at a service centre , as it sounds like it's not communicating proper except when the information is passing threw something that modifies the information .

Though it's still odd that the adapter and extender can understand the lens .

Can you try the lens on any other bodies , either in a shop or friends ?

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +56 more
OP JohnGillity New Member • Posts: 9

Many thanks for the reply.

The lens in question was supplied by a major retailer in the UK and it appears that is was an ex-display model.

With further trial and error it seemed as though the error showed up after the iris/diaphragm had been increased to its maximum ie F4 at which it worked on any both cameras with or without extender.

However if  changed to a higher F number most of the time we had ERR 01. Having spoken to a repair company here in the UK they suggested it could be a 'chip' issue or a sticking diaphragm.

Either way the lens was defective and has been returned to the supplier. My guess is the lens had not been checked before dispatch. I had to return a previous lens which was advertised ( same retailer) as an IS version when it was lacking IS, not damaged just totally missing!

Alternative lens now sourced elsewhere which works just fine , not even needing a micro-adjustment on the &D MK ll.

JohnGillity's gear list:JohnGillity's gear list
Sigma 2x EX DG Tele Converter
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,221

JohnGillity wrote:

Many thanks for the reply.

The lens in question was supplied by a major retailer in the UK and it appears that is was an ex-display model.

With further trial and error it seemed as though the error showed up after the iris/diaphragm had been increased to its maximum ie F4 at which it worked on any both cameras with or without extender.

However if changed to a higher F number most of the time we had ERR 01. Having spoken to a repair company here in the UK they suggested it could be a 'chip' issue or a sticking diaphragm.

Either way the lens was defective and has been returned to the supplier. My guess is the lens had not been checked before dispatch. I had to return a previous lens which was advertised ( same retailer) as an IS version when it was lacking IS, not damaged just totally missing!

Alternative lens now sourced elsewhere which works just fine , not even needing a micro-adjustment on the &D MK ll.

At least you've got fixed up .

That's why it's good to deal with a real shop .

Whether it wasn't checked correctly in store , or it got dropped and damaged in transit , they sorted things out .

I get most of my gear from Ffordes via the internet or telephone , or my local branches of LCE or WEX for that reason .

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +56 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads