Nikon 200-600mm When?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
djrocks66
djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,607
Nikon 200-600mm When?

I have been patiently waiting for a long telephoto lens for the Z system. I am now starting to lose patience though. I am using both the Z7 and Z6II and enjoy using the system but having to adapt my Sigma 150-600mm C is getting old. It is very inconsistent with both cameras. It requires a lot of work to get sharp images of BIF. I was hoping by now Nikon would have released something. I know the whole world is upside down with the COVID pandemic but I feel like every other system has their own native long telephoto by now. I guess I should have held onto my D850 and D500. At least they worked well with the Sigma. Sorry to be grumbling here. I am just venting my frustration  I will leave you with a recent shot from Grand Teton National Park of a Moose in non motion 

djrocks66's gear list:djrocks66's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T100 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +16 more
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Photo_AK
Photo_AK Senior Member • Posts: 1,279
Re: Nikon 200-600mm When?

Canon merely announced some new telephoto zoom lenses, but you won't be able to purchase them for quite a few more months.

I'm sure you will also not be able to purchase a new NIKKOR Z telephoto lens for at least 6 more months, probably even longer. It just doesn't seem possible. In October there's the new Z 9 with some kind of pro telephoto lens (most probably a new 400/2.8) coming and that's that for 2021 ... Even if Nikon announces a new lens in November or December, you will not be able to purchase it for a few more months.

Really, personally I don't see myself walking into a store to see the new telephoto NIKKOR Z lens before April/May 2022.

Just get something else, the 200/500/5.6E maybe, and use it via FTZ for the time being.

-- hide signature --

Robert Capa said 'You can never get close enough'. Well, he did ...

Photo_AK's gear list:Photo_AK's gear list
Leica Q2 Nikon D850 Leica SL2 Nikon AF-S 105mm F1.4E ED Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR +10 more
briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,436

djrocks66 wrote:

I have been patiently waiting for a long telephoto lens for the Z system. I am now starting to lose patience though. I am using both the Z7 and Z6II and enjoy using the system but having to adapt my Sigma 150-600mm C is getting old. It is very inconsistent with both cameras. It requires a lot of work to get sharp images of BIF. I was hoping by now Nikon would have released something. I know the whole world is upside down with the COVID pandemic but I feel like every other system has their own native long telephoto by now.

The grass is not always greener.  Canon made this announcement last week...

Updated: September 16, 2021
Publication date: July 10, 2020

We have received more orders than expected for each of the following products, and it will take some time before delivery.

We thank you for your many orders and apologize for any inconvenience caused to our customers. Thank you kindly look forward for your understanding.

[Applicable products]

• RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 IS USM
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • RF400mm F2.8 L IS USM
  • RF600mm F4 L IS USM
  • Ring type tripod mount E (B)
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • EOS R3
  • Eye cup ER-h
  • Eye cup ER-hE
  • Strap ER-L1
  • RF100-400mm F5.6-8 IS USM
 briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +17 more
spec68 Regular Member • Posts: 378

Hey nice moose. I was at the south part of Yellowstone last month but unfortunately no moose there to my dismay. Some bison and elk though.

I feel your pain regarding the lack of native Z super-teles. You have more patience that I do. I gave Nikon 6 mos. after the Canon RF 100-500 started shipping and when there was nothing but crickets bought an R5 and 100-500 for wildlife because I'm not getting any younger. Like you, I was not satisfied using adapted glass on the Z7. I still use the Z7 for landscape and still life because I'm not ready to do a complete liquidation of my Z kit -- hoping Nikon will finally get it's stuff together with the Z9 and the Z7 III will be a knockout.

Realistically, the Z9 is expected to become official in Nov/Dec. So that is the earliest a 200-600 would be announced. That means it would probably ship in limited quantity in Feb. because everything from everyone is shipping that way now. Certainly tere is a huge pent up demand for this lens so demand will likely not be satiated for a year. I mean, the RF 100-500, which started shipping a year ago still takes 2-4 weeks to get and it's been out for a year.

I do think your patience will pay off though and the 200-600 will be a spectacular lens. 2022 is likely your year.

bsinc1962
bsinc1962 Contributing Member • Posts: 884

djrocks66 wrote:

I have been patiently waiting for a long telephoto lens for the Z system. I am now starting to lose patience though. I am using both the Z7 and Z6II and enjoy using the system but having to adapt my Sigma 150-600mm C is getting old. It is very inconsistent with both cameras. It requires a lot of work to get sharp images of BIF. I was hoping by now Nikon would have released something. I know the whole world is upside down with the COVID pandemic but I feel like every other system has their own native long telephoto by now. I guess I should have held onto my D850 and D500. At least they worked well with the Sigma. Sorry to be grumbling here. I am just venting my frustration I will leave you with a recent shot from Grand Teton National Park of a Moose in non motion

Nice shot of Shoshone. He's quite the stud.

I feel your pain. I'm using the 500pf and the 70-200S and 2xTC for my wildlife work.

bsinc1962's gear list:bsinc1962's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +9 more
Bronto Junior Member • Posts: 42

How is the 500pf with Z bodies? Regarding AF and stabilizer, does it benefit from the IBIS in any way?

bsinc1962 wrote:

I feel your pain. I'm using the 500pf and the 70-200S and 2xTC for my wildlife work.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Andres

briantilley

Bronto wrote:

How is the 500pf with Z bodies? Regarding AF and stabilizer, does it benefit from the IBIS in any way?

I find the 500mm PF works pretty well on the FTZ. AF operates normally, and the camera IBIS works in conjunction with the lens VR to provide greater stabilisation that you would get with lens or camera alone.

These were both taken with the lens on a Z7, hand-held...

NikonNature Veteran Member • Posts: 4,788

I have avoided even buying into the Z system for this exact reason. I am just sticking with my D500 until something better comes along (not just 'announced' but actually exists). The 500mm PF is tempting as a lens upgrade, but the 200-600mm could be a better fit for me being a native Z lens. Of course, it's all speculation until it actually hits the market.

Patience is key, though it's not easy. If you went another direction, you might regret it in six months or so when it finally becomes a reality. Can you get by till next spring? I know it's not ideal, but could be worth it in the long run.

NikonNature's gear list:NikonNature's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD +1 more
bsinc1962

Bronto wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

The 500pf works very well. The AF is very accurate. If it's slower with the FTZ I haven't noticed it but I tend to pre-focus on an area anyways. As far as the IBIS I don't believe it gets used with the lenses native VR. I seem to get the same performance that I did with my D850.

Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +9 more
briantilley

bsinc1962 wrote:

Bronto wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

The 500pf works very well. The AF is very accurate. If it's slower with the FTZ I haven't noticed it but I tend to pre-focus on an area anyways. As far as the IBIS I don't believe it gets used with the lenses native VR.

That's not correct. With a VR lens on a Z5, 6 or 7, the two systems work together. Either both are on or both are off - controlled via the camera's Shooting menu, or with the lens VR switch if it has one.

I seem to get the same performance that I did with my D850.

Bronto Junior Member • Posts: 42

briantilley wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

Bronto wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

The 500pf works very well. The AF is very accurate. If it's slower with the FTZ I haven't noticed it but I tend to pre-focus on an area anyways. As far as the IBIS I don't believe it gets used with the lenses native VR.

That's not correct. With a VR lens on a Z5, 6 or 7, the two systems work together. Either both are on or both are off - controlled via the camera's Shooting menu, or with the lens VR switch if it has one.

Thanks, that is encouraging to know. However, I have not seen any actual comparisons of how big the advantage eventually is.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Andres

bsinc1962

briantilley wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

Bronto wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

Thanks for clearing that up.

z2122
z2122 Senior Member • Posts: 1,798

2025 ...

ok, no joking  ... I hope Nikon is announcing this lens until january 2022

-- hide signature --

catch the light - explore emotions

z2122's gear list:z2122's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +9 more
djrocks66
OP djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,607

bsinc1962 wrote:

djrocks66 wrote:

I have been patiently waiting for a long telephoto lens for the Z system. I am now starting to lose patience though. I am using both the Z7 and Z6II and enjoy using the system but having to adapt my Sigma 150-600mm C is getting old. It is very inconsistent with both cameras. It requires a lot of work to get sharp images of BIF. I was hoping by now Nikon would have released something. I know the whole world is upside down with the COVID pandemic but I feel like every other system has their own native long telephoto by now. I guess I should have held onto my D850 and D500. At least they worked well with the Sigma. Sorry to be grumbling here. I am just venting my frustration I will leave you with a recent shot from Grand Teton National Park of a Moose in non motion

Thanks! Is that his name?

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T100 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +16 more
bsinc1962

djrocks66 wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

djrocks66 wrote:

Yes, his antlers are easy to spot year to year.  This one I took probably within a week or two of your shot.

djrocks66
OP djrocks66 Senior Member • Posts: 1,607

bsinc1962 wrote:

djrocks66 wrote:

bsinc1962 wrote:

djrocks66 wrote:

Yes, his antlers are easy to spot year to year. This one I took probably within a week or two of your shot.

Cool. There were 4 at the spot when I was there.

bsinc1962

Whenever people ask me about seeing Moose I always send them to the Gros-Ventre. I've seen 2 dozen of them at one time in December when they move away from the river bottom and head to the area between Kelly and the Moulton Barns.

Oswego Regular Member • Posts: 143

djrocks66 wrote:

I think you have every right to be upset at how Nikon has handled their Z lens line up. One demographic that is keen to pick up new Nikon lenses are nature photographers.  I had the same complaint with Sony before they released the 200-600. I think Canon took the right approach by trying to cover every lens demographic as soon as possible.  Nikon has had problems meeting demand years before Covid so like others have said if they even announce a new lens in Nov/Dec it won't be available to just find at your local camera spot for awhile (took the 500pf a long time to be available).

Oswego's gear list:Oswego's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
Oswego Regular Member • Posts: 143

spec68 wrote:

Hey nice moose. I was at the south part of Yellowstone last month but unfortunately no moose there to my dismay. Some bison and elk though.

I feel your pain regarding the lack of native Z super-teles. You have more patience that I do. I gave Nikon 6 mos. after the Canon RF 100-500 started shipping and when there was nothing but crickets bought an R5 and 100-500 for wildlife because I'm not getting any younger. Like you, I was not satisfied using adapted glass on the Z7. I still use the Z7 for landscape and still life because I'm not ready to do a complete liquidation of my Z kit -- hoping Nikon will finally get it's stuff together with the Z9 and the Z7 III will be a knockout.

Realistically, the Z9 is expected to become official in Nov/Dec. So that is the earliest a 200-600 would be announced. That means it would probably ship in limited quantity in Feb. because everything from everyone is shipping that way now. Certainly tere is a huge pent up demand for this lens so demand will likely not be satiated for a year. I mean, the RF 100-500, which started shipping a year ago still takes 2-4 weeks to get and it's been out for a year.

I do think your patience will pay off though and the 200-600 will be a spectacular lens. 2022 is likely your year.

I did the same thing ultimately by picking up an R5 and a 100-500 (also an 800 f11 which doesn't get used much in the non summer time in the Washington state area).  I love the Nikon system and want them to succeed, but as of right now they haven't met all of my wants from a camera system.

Oswego's gear list:Oswego's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +6 more
NCB Senior Member • Posts: 2,065

You could buy a second-hand D500 to tide you over; you could always sell when the native Z lens appears. Alternatively do the same sort of thing with the 500 PF.

As to delay, when the lens is available to pre-order slam in your order straight away. That should minimise delay. My guess is it's worth waiting for.

NCB's gear list:NCB's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads